The Business Gold Rewards Card Review
The Business Gold Rewards Card is a charge card that provides diverse ways to earn points and solid travel benefits. Discounts earned through purchases at business-related partner organizations can easily offset the slightly high annual fee.
Earn bonus points through common purchases
One benefit of The Business Gold Rewards Card is the ability to earn bonus points through several common business purchases. You can earn 3x points on 1 out 5 categories, with 2x points on the remaining 4 categories and 1x points on other purchases.
Competitive signup bonus
The Business Gold Rewards Card is built with business-seized purchasing power and fast rewards. You get 25,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 in purchases with your new Card in the first 3 months following approval of your new Card account. Plus, get a statement credit for your initial Amazon Prime membership fee after you sign up for a new membership with your Card and meet the spending requirement in the same time period.
OPEN Savings benefits
The OPEN Savings benefit allows Business Gold Rewards Card cardholders to receive 3% – 10% discounts on purchases made at numerous partner organizations. The OPEN Savings benefits include hotels, shipping, technology, supplies and services, gifts, and travel.
Competitive travel-related benefits
If your business requires traveling on a regular basis, the travel benefits of The Business Gold Rewards Card will be appealing. Cardholders are eligible for lost luggage insurance, roadside assistance, car rental insurance, travel insurance, emergency support, and more. Having access to these benefits can help keep costs low and provide an added sense of security.
The Business Gold Rewards Card has a $175 annual fee. Additional cards get a $0 intro annual fee, then the first additional card has a $50 annual fee, with no annual fee for the second additional card or those thereafter. It is common for business rewards cards to charge an annual fee, but $175 is on the high side. However, depending on your purchasing habits and organizational needs, the card can easily pay for itself.
No bonus points for office supplies
Some competitor business rewards cards offer bonus points associated with office supply purchases. The Business Gold Rewards Card does offer discounts on supplies purchased through partner organizations, and allows you to earn one point for other purchases. However, when some business rewards cards are offering five points for every dollar spent, being limited to discounts at partner organizations may not be ideal.
Rates and Fees
- Annual Fee: $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175
- Balance must be paid in full each month: Yes (charge card)
- Cash Advance Fee: N/A (charge card)
- Cash Advance Rate (APR): N/A (charge card)
- Foreign Currency Transaction Fee: 2.7% per transaction
- Introductory Rate (APR): N/A (charge card)
- Standard Rate (APR): N/A (charge card)
- Default Penalty Rate (APR): N/A (charge card)
- Late Payment Fee: $35 or 2.99% of past due amount
- Minimum Interest Charge: N/A (charge card)
- Over-Limit Fee: N/A (charge card)
- Returned Payment Fee: $35
Balance Transfer Fees
- Balance Transfer Fee: N/A (charge card)
- Introductory Balance Transfer Rate (APR): N/A (charge card)
- Standard Balance Transfer Rate (APR): N/A (charge card)
- Additional Rewards for Cell Phone Services: None
- Additional Rewards for Dining: None
- Additional Rewards for Gas: 2 points per $1 at US gas stations
- Additional Rewards for Internet Services: None
- Additional Rewards for Office Supplies: None
- Additional Rewards for Other: 2 points per $1 for shipping and advertising (online, TV, radio), 2 points on U.S. purchases made directly from select computer hardware and software providers
- Additional Rewards for Travel: 3 points per $1 (airfare purchased from airlines)
- Bonus Rewards: None
- Rewards Earnings for All Purchases: 1 point per $1
- Sign-Up Bonus: 30,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $5,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 3 months of Card membership
- Type of Reward: Points