CitiBusiness® AAdvantage® World MasterCard® Review
The CitiBusiness® AAdvantage® World MasterCard® offers a nice sign-up bonus and has great travel benefits. The annual fee of $95 may deter some, but if American Airlines is your airline of choice, you'll like what this card has to offer.
Easy-to-earn sign-up bonus
With the CitiBusiness® AAdvantage® World MasterCard®, new cardholders can earn 30,000 bonus miles after making $1,000 in purchases in the first three months of card membership. This is a great way to start accumulating miles and earning rewards, as most businesses won’t have a problem hitting that spending requirement.
Multiple ways to earn bonus rewards
Some business rewards credit cards only offer one point/mile for every dollar spent. With the CitiBusiness® AAdvantage® World MasterCard®, you will be able to earn double miles on American Airline purchases, telecommunication costs, car rentals, and at certain office supply stores. These bonuses, along with the standard one mile per dollar spent, will allow you to accumulate rewards quickly.
Annual mileage bonus
Every year that you renew your AAdvantage® World MasterCard®, you will receive a 5% mileage bonus. The bonus is based upon the total of eligible purchases from the previous year of card membership and is simply added to your existing miles.
Several American Airline benefits
Those that travel on American Airlines often will definitely appreciate some of the travel perks that come with the card. Some of these benefits include priority boarding, 25% in-flight savings, and double miles on American Airlines purchases. In addition, you’ll be able to check your first bag at no cost. If American Airlines is your airline of choice, the AAdvantage® World MasterCard® may be a great fit.
Foreign currency transaction fees
Those that travel internationally often will want to be aware of the 3% per transaction foreign currency fee. Foreign currency transactions fees are not uncommon, but there are definitely plenty of business rewards credit cards out there that won’t apply this fee. The AAdvantage® World MasterCard® does offer multiple travel benefits, but if international travel is a consistent part of your work, it may be worth it to look into other business rewards credit cards.
Annual membership fee
The CitiBusiness® AAdvantage® World MasterCard® has an annual membership fee of $95. Many of the top business rewards credit cards do not charge an annual fee, and among the ones that do, this is on the high side. However, the fee is waived during the first year, so you will have time to determine if the credit card is the right fit for your company. The rewards gained from regular use of the card will likely cover the annual fee, but for those particularly sensitive to extra charges, finding a card with no membership fee will be a better solution.
American Airlines and US Airways merger
The merger between American Airlines and US Airways offers a number of positives for travelers, including more domestic flights and access to Europe and the Middle East for American Airlines travelers. However, the merger will hurt AAdvantage® frequent flyers who may see a devaluation of their miles and less upgrades. By combining the two programs, the elite-level flyers will see more competition for upgrades given the fact that 30 million new members are going to be in the program.
Rates and Fees
- Annual Fee: $95 ($0 first year)
- Balance must be paid in full each month: No
- Cash Advance Fee: $5 or 3% per cash advance
- Cash Advance Rate (APR): 21.99%
- Foreign Currency Transaction Fee: 3% per transaction, $5 minimum
- Introductory Rate (APR): None
- Standard Rate (APR): 15.24%* Variable
- Default Penalty Rate (APR): 29.99%
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $39
- Minimum Interest Charge: $0.50
- Over-Limit Fee: None
- Returned Payment Fee: None
Balance Transfer Fees
- Balance Transfer Fee: $5 or 3% per transfer
- Introductory Balance Transfer Rate (APR): None
- Standard Balance Transfer Rate (APR): N/A
- Additional Rewards for Cell Phone Services: None
- Additional Rewards for Dining: None
- Additional Rewards for Gas: None
- Additional Rewards for Internet Services: None
- Additional Rewards for Office Supplies: 2 Aadvantage bonus miles per $1 (at certain office supply stores)
- Additional Rewards for Other: 2 Aadvantage bonus miles per $1 (at certain car rental merchants)
- Additional Rewards for Travel: 2 Aadvantage bonus miles per $1 (on eligible American Airlines purchases)
- Bonus Rewards: 5% Aadvantage mileage bonus based upon eligible purchases made during the card membership year
- Rewards Earnings for All Purchases: 1 mile per $1
- Sign-Up Bonus: 30,000 American Airlines Aadvantage bonus miles after making $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of cardmembership
- Type of Reward: Miles