U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards Card Review
The U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards card has a relatively high number of transaction fees, but double points are earned on the category you spend the most on (plus most cell phone expenses) and a nice sign-up bonus makes it a competitive business rewards credit card.
Multiple ways to earn bonus points
With the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards card you earn one FlexPoint for every $1 of eligible net purchases charged to your card, two FlexPoints for every $1 spent on gas, grocery or airline purchases – whichever you spend most on each monthly billing cycle – and most cell phone expenses. In addition, you earn triple FlexPoints for your charitable donations.
Decent sign-up bonus
Most of the top business credit cards provide a sign-up bonus. With the FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards card, you receive 20,000 FlexPoints after the first $3,500 in net purchases in the first four months. Award travel starts at just 20,000 FlexPoints (up to $400 ticket value) on over 150 airlines with no blackout dates or online redemption fees.
Redeem points on over 150 airlines
Points earned with the FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards card are redeemable with more than 150 airlines. For those that prefer to find the best deal and fly on a variety of different airlines, this flexibility in point transfers will be a great asset. And to help make the flight more enjoyable, you receive an airline allowance of up to $25 with every award travel ticket to use toward baggage fees, in-flight food or drinks and more.
Several transaction fees
Most business rewards cards have a few fees that cardholders need to pay attention to. With the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards card, cardholders will need to keep an eye on the transaction fees. Fees ranging from 3% to 4% or $5 to $20 are associated with fairly common transaction activities like balance transfers, cash advance at an ATM, cash equivalent advance, overdraft protection, and others. Every cardholder won’t regularly utilize these transactions, but for those that expect to, these extra fees can add up.
Annual membership fee
The U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards card has a $0 intro Annual Fee* the first year, after that $55 (+$10 for employees). Although membership fees are fairly common with business credit cards, there are numerous cards out there that do not charge a fee. However, the $0 annual fee the first year is still available every year when your company has combined net spend of over $24,000 each year.
Many of the top business rewards cards allow you to go over your limit without applying an over-limit fee. Unfortunately, with the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards card, if you exceed your limit, you’ll be hit with a $39 fee. For those times when cash flow is tight, getting hit with an additional fee can be tough. If you want a card that provides a little more limit flexibility, the FlexPerks® Business Travel Rewards Visa® may not be the right fit.
Rates and Fees
- Annual Fee: $0 intro Annual Fee* the first year, after that $55 (+$10 for employees)
- Balance must be paid in full each month: No
- Cash Advance Fee: Either 4% of the amount of each advance or $10 minimum, whichever is greater.
- Cash Advance Rate (APR): 24.24%
- Foreign Currency Transaction Fee: None
- Introductory Rate (APR): 0% for 12 months
- Standard Rate (APR): 12.49% - 18.49%* (Variable)
- Default Penalty Rate (APR): 28.99%
- Late Payment Fee: $19-$39
- Minimum Interest Charge: $2
- Over-Limit Fee: Up to $39
- Returned Payment Fee: Up to $35
Balance Transfer Fees
- Balance Transfer Fee: Either 3% of the amount of each transfer or $5 minimum, whichever is greater.
- Introductory Balance Transfer Rate (APR): None
- Additional Rewards for Cell Phone Services: 2 points per $1
- Additional Rewards for Dining: None
- Additional Rewards for Gas: 2 points per $1 (if this is the category you spend the most in)
- Additional Rewards for Internet Services: None
- Additional Rewards for Office Supplies: None
- Additional Rewards for Other: Earn 3 points for charitable donations
- Additional Rewards for Travel: 2 points per $1 (if this is the category you spend the most in)
- Bonus Rewards: Receive a $55 credit after $24,000 posts to your account within your 12-month annual statement year.
- Rewards Earnings for All Purchases: 1 point per $1
- Sign-Up Bonus: 20,000 bonus FlexPoints after the first $3,500 in net purchases in the first 4 months
- Type of Reward: Points