LifeShield Security Review
LifeShield's cellular-based alarm system offers peace of mind, but they remain behind the competition in terms of home automation and providing some key products, such as outdoor cameras. Learn More
Cellular-based alarm systems:
Having cellular technology in a home security system is an important component that ensures your system is always up and running. You don't have to pay for a separate cellular line because most companies tap into the existing lines from carriers. Having a cellular-based system is a huge upgrade because a burglar can cut a wire or disable a wireless alarm, but a cellular system will continue to stay active.
Simple DIY setup:
If you don't want to wait around for a technician, LifeShield's DIY setup is simple. It requires no tools and LifeShield claims the entire setup can take less than an hour. All you have to do is decide where to place the sensors and security devices and you will have control over your entire home security system. LifeShield even includes a video to show you the simplicity of the setup process.
Solid mobile application:
With the LifeShield mobile app for your iPhone, Android, or BlackBerry, you can have nearly full control over your home security system. The app is completely free and you can arm/disarm your security system from anywhere, change security codes, and see what's happening inside the house. The iPhone app also has pretty favorable reviews if you check it out in the iTunes store.
Poor home automation capabilities:
The major area of weakness for LifeShield is definitely in the home automation department. Unlike some of the leading home security systems, you can't have your lights turn on at specific times and LifeShield doesn't enable you to set your lights to react to a sensor to make it look like someone is home. In addition to that, there's no remote lighting control so you can't turn lights on or off when you're away from the house like you can with other top products. The same goes for temperature and appliance control. In terms of home automation and technology, LifeShield is simply behind the competition.
Missing a couple sensors and detectors:
LifeShield doesn't come with a full selection of sensors and detectors to complete a home security system. Two of the items missing from their offerings are recessed door sensors and a garage door tilt sensor. Recessed door sensors are hidden and installed inside the door frame to send a signal when a door is opened. The garage door tilt sensor is more of a specialty feature, but if you have a garage and want to know when someone is coming or going, it's nice to have.
Weak surveillance options:
If you want to watch the activity outside of your house in addition to the inside, you probably won't want to use LifeShield. They don't offer any outdoor cameras with their home security system. In addition, you won't be able to have access to any pan-and-tilt video cameras. On a more positive note, LifeShield does offer wireless security cameras that can capture still shots or video and you can access them live at any time.
- Arm/Disarm - You can arm and disarm the security system remotely.
- Change Access Codes - You can change system access codes for different people who may have to enter your home.
- History Log - You can view a logged history of events that have taken place over a specified time period.
- Home Alerts - You can automatically receive alerts from your security system to keep you aware of what is happening in your house when you are not around.
- Adjust Temperature - You can adjust the temperature of your house remotely.
- Appliance Control - You can remotely turn small appliances on or off using a smartphone or Internet connection.
- Electronic Door Locks - The company offers electronic door locks that can communicate wirelessly so you are able to lock and unlock your doors from anywhere.
- Event-Triggered Automation - You can set your lights to react to alarm sensors or other events.
- Lighting Control - You can turn lights on or off using your laptop or smartphone.
- Scheduled Automation - You can set a schedule for lights to be on at specific times of each day.
Home Monitoring Value Package
Monthly Plan: $29.99
Home Monitoring Gold Package
Monthly Plan: $35.99
Home Monitoring Platinum Package
Monthly Plan: $40.99