Protection 1 Review
Protection 1 provides a quality internal monitoring service and reliable Honeywell equipment, but you'll have trouble transferring the system to a new home if you move during the time of your contract. Learn More
Clean and modern keypad interfaces:
Protection 1 uses home security products manufactured by Honeywell. The main Honeywell keypad is well designed, offering a touch-screen panel and clean interfaces. The icon-driven menu is full color and great for those who are comfortable with navigating on tablets and smartphones. The keypad communicates wirelessly to other home security equipment and contacts the monitoring center through cellular technology.
Great sensor and detector options:
Standard home security packages typically include a keypad, door and window sensors, and a motion detector. The best home security systems provide homeowners with a variety of sensors and detectors to add to these standard packages. Some of the additional sensors provided by Protection 1 include glass break detectors, recessed door sensors, and garage tilt sensors. If you're looking to get just a little bit more out of your home security system, the sensors and detectors provided by Protection 1 will likely help.
Protection 1 owns and operates five monitoring centers with triple redundancy. In addition, they have a disaster recovery center that's ready to respond if necessary. Some other top home security system providers outsource monitoring to external organizations, but companies that provide internal monitoring are held to a higher standard, as they are responsible for your entire home security experience.
Difficult to relocate with current system:
There are two primary drawbacks to professionally installed home security systems. First, there is typically an installation fee. In the case of Protection 1, this fee is $99. Next, if your circumstances change and you end up moving to a new home, transferring your home security system is not as simple. Compared to DIY systems that can just be packed up and moved to a new location, professionally installed systems are typically left behind. Protection 1 does offer up to $150 toward installation in your new home, but your current system will likely stay in place when you move.
Lack of transparency in pricing:
When it comes to the pricing of home security systems, companies are either very upfront or very uninformative, and Protection 1 falls in the latter group. You must contact them and speak to a representative to retrieve pricing information, which can be a hassle if you're doing some comparison shopping.
Deceiving chat feature:
Some of the top home security companies provide very useful online chat features that are quickly accessible, enabling you to get your questions answered if you can't find the information you need on the site. The chat function featured on the Protection 1 website does not help you get answers; it's just a ploy to get you connected with sales representatives.
- Adjust Temperature - You can adjust the temperature of your house remotely.
- Appliance Control - You can remotely turn small appliances on or off using a smartphone or Internet connection.
- Arm/Disarm - You can arm and disarm the security system remotely.
- Change Access Codes - You can change system access codes for different people who may have to enter your home.
- Electronic Door Locks - The company offers electronic door locks that can communicate wirelessly so you are able to lock and unlock your doors from anywhere.
- Event-Triggered Automation - You can set your lights to react to alarm sensors or other events.
- History Log - You can view a logged history of events that have taken place over a specified time period.
- Home Alerts - You can automatically receive alerts from your security system to keep you aware of what is happening in your house when you are not around.
- Lighting Control - You can turn lights on or off using your laptop or smartphone.
- Scheduled Automation - You can set a schedule for lights to be on at specific times of each day.
Basic Home Security
Monthly Plan: $34.99
Digital Home Security
Monthly Plan: $39.99
Digital & Energy
Monthly Plan: $39.99
Digital & Video
Monthly Plan: $49.99
Digital & Energy & Video
Monthly Plan: $54.99