Identity Theft Protection Service Reviews
The Best Identity Theft Protection Services of 2016
Being a victim of identity theft can be a life-changing experience, so we found the top eight services to protect you. Identity Guard was the cream of that crop because of its flexibility and availability to all budgets and coverage levels.
Best Overall Identity Theft Protection
Identity Guard gets high marks for its diverse plan options, computer-protection software, and account features. Plan options range from as little as $10 a month, to about $25 a month depending on what you’re looking for — so there’s something for everyone. Identity Guard’s home page shows you key information so you don’t have to navigate around looking for your credit scores or new alerts, and it’s easy to stay connected on the go with its user-friendly mobile app.
The Best Identity Theft Protection for Businesses
The specific features IdentityForce has to offer make it our choice for best identity protection service for businesses. You will be constantly monitored and instantly offered data-breach solutions for both private and government companies, if necessary. IdentityForce also assists your clients in the event of an attack, relieving them and you from having to figure out what to do next.
The Rest of the Best Identity Theft Protection Services
Choosing the Best Identity Theft Protection Service for You
We also analyzed each of our picks to create a list of top products for different situations. Check out the articles below for more insight into what the best is for you, if you're looking for something more specific.
How We Chose the Best Identity Theft Protection Services of 2016
We compiled a list of 26 services and identified the top 8 products to review based on the 33 most important features.
What Identity Theft Protection Services Matter and Why
Identity Theft Recovery
Identity Theft Recovery details the services the identity theft protection company offers to help victims of ID fraud reclaim their identity. Many companies have fraud specialists standing by to assist consumers with repairing the damages caused by identity theft. They may also offer lost wallet protection to assist in canceling lost or stolen credit or debit cards.
The best ID protection services also provide identity theft insurance to cover the costs of reclaiming an identity and enable consumers to put fraud notifications on their accounts to inform the credit bureaus of the situation. Focusing on this category when selecting an identity theft protection service is a good idea because these are the tools that help consumers resume normal life following identity theft.
Most Important Identity Theft Recovery Features
- Fraud Alert Reminders — The company will remind you when the fraud alert on your account is about to expire so you can renew it.
- Fraud Specialist — The company provides access to fraud specialists to help you manage your fraud case.
- Identity Theft Insurance — The company offers insurance to reimburse you for costs related to restoring your identity.
- Lost Wallet Protection — The company offers assistance with canceling and replacing lost or stolen credit/debit cards.
Information Protection is an important category that indicates what types of personal information the identity theft protection service monitors. All of the best ID theft protection companies cover the basics like Social Security number, full name, address, and credit/debit cards. Some companies also monitor information from public records and any loans taken out in the consumer's name. This category is definitely worth paying attention to because it is essentially the foundation of identity theft protection services.
Most Important Information Protection Features
- Address — The company protects against any unauthorized use of your address.
- Bank Accounts — The company protects against any unauthorized use of your bank account information.
- Credit/Debit Cards — The company protects against any unauthorized use of your credit or debit cards.
- Loans — The company protects against any unauthorized loans made in your name.
- Name — The company protects against any unauthorized use of your full name.
- Public Records — The company monitors any information about you in public records.
- Social Security Number — The company protects against any unauthorized use of your Social Security number.
Additional Services is a broad category covering all the extra tools and services offered by an ID theft protection company. Many offer credit monitoring and reports, and send alerts whenever any suspicious activity is noted. Families might be interested in child ID protection since identity thieves may attempt to steal children's personal information as well.
Medical identity theft is another common problem, where thieves use a person's health insurance to receive medical treatment. This category comprises a lot of extras and, depending on the individual, some of these features could be very important elements of their ideal ID theft solution.
Most Important Additional Services Features
- Child ID Protection — The company protects against any unauthorized use of your children's personal information.
- Credit Monitoring — The company monitors your credit reports for any suspicious activity.
- Credit Reports — You can get access to your credit reports through the company.
- Credit Scores — You can get access to your credit scores through the company.
- Early Warning Alerts — The company provides early warning alerts following suspicious behavior.
- Mailing List Removal — The company will remove your name from mailing lists to help protect your personal information.
- Medical ID Theft Protection — The company monitors your medical benefits for any suspicious activity.
- Security Freeze — You can place a security freeze on your credit reports if fraud or identity theft is suspected.
Support describes the different options consumers have to contact the identity theft protection service. Popular options include email and phone support. Live chat is another option that's great for convenience and quick communication, although it is less common than phone or email support.
Certain identity theft protection companies also have a strong presence on social networks like Facebook and Twitter, so consumers can reach out to them there. This category is fairly important because being able to speak to someone quickly is crucial in cases of potential ID theft.
Most Important Support Features
- Email — The company has an email or ticket system dedicated to support.
- Live Chat — The company offers live chat support.
- Phone — You can contact the company by phone to get support.
- Social Media — You can contact the company with questions through their social networks.
Learning Materials explains the resources the ID theft protection service provides on its website to help consumers understand the company's service. This may include video tutorials explaining how to use certain functions in one's online account or a knowledge base of help articles.
Some companies also have an industry-related blog containing useful tips on how consumers can keep their identities safe and what to do in the event of a stolen identity. This category probably won't play a large role in most people's decisions but it can still be very useful, especially to those who are new to identity protection services.
Most Important Learning Material Features
- Blog or Articles — A blog or relevant articles on identity theft protection are provided by the company.
- FAQs — The company provides a list of answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
- Knowledge Base — The company provides a knowledge base of detailed help articles.
The Mobile category details the availability of a mobile app and its features. The top identity theft protection services offer an app that's available on multiple platforms in addition to a mobile-friendly website. The apps typically enable users to access their identity theft protection account and view any alerts of suspicious activity.
Mobile shouldn't be a deciding factor when choosing an ID theft protection company, but it can be beneficial, particularly for those who spend a lot of time away from the computer.
Most Important Mobile Features
- Access Account — You can access your account from a mobile device.
- Alerts — You can view identity theft alerts from a mobile device.
- Android App — The company has an Android-specific app.
- Favorable Reviews — The company has a combined 3.5 stars or greater for their iPhone and Android apps.
- iPhone App — The company has an iPhone-specific app.
- Mobile Website — The company has a mobile-specific website.
- Tablet — The company has a tablet-based app.