Motorcycle Insurance Reviews
The Best Motorcycle Insurance
No one wants to deal with insurance, but for motorcyclists, one incident is enough to make you pay attention. Here are eight of the best insurers out there with Allstate leading the pack because of their coverage, value and breadth of services.
Allstate offers a lot of insurance plans, making them the best in the industry. After going through their smooth quote process, you can choose from a number of different coverage options to fit your needs. Even better, Allstate offers lease/loan gap coverage for those of you who may not fully own your motorcycle quite yet. They give a number of discounts including 10 percent savings just by switching to Allstate from another company. All of these features for an affordable price makes them well worth looking into.
Best in customer service
Progressive gets our vote for most dedicated to customer service in the motorcycle industry. They offer a loyalty rewards program giving you more rewards the longer you have been insured through them. They also offer Small Accident Forgiveness, roadside assistance and a streamlined quote process to make your experience with your insurance company a good one.
Enter your zip code
Compare rates from the to motorcycle insurance providers in your area
Other top picks
How we chose the best motorcycle insurance
We gathered a list of 37 motorcycle insurance companies and then selected 8 insurers from that list to review based on 72 motorcycle insurance features.
What motorcycle insurance features matter and why
Motorcycle Coverage refers to the coverage options designed to help repair a motorcycle following an accident. Collision coverage is used for at-fault accidents, while comprehensive coverage takes care of damage caused by vandalism and other non-collision-related incidents.
Those looking to insure vintage or custom motorcycles will be able to purchase additional coverage specifically for these types of bikes. This is another category worth paying close attention to when searching for the best insurance, as having solid motorcycle coverage will be the key to getting a motorcycle back on the road quickly following an accident.
Most important motorcycle coverage features
- Accessory Coverage - The insurance provider offers physical damage protection to equipment, devices, accessories, enhancements, and changes other than those which are original-manufacturer-installed, which are permanently installed or attached, and alter the appearance or performance of the vehicle.
- Actual Agreed Value - You can lock in an agreed-upon price with the insurance company, and receive payment for that value if the motorcycle can't be replaced.
- Collision - The insurance provider insures you against damage from collisions.
- Comprehensive - The provider insures you against losses from any non-collision vehicle damage including fire, theft, or vandalism.
- Custom Motorcycle Coverage - The insurance provider offers coverage for custom-built motorcycles.
- Trike Coverage - The insurance provider offers coverage for trikes or three-wheeled motorcycles.
- Vintage Motorcycle Coverage - The insurance provider offers coverage for vintage motorcycles.
Policy Coverage explains the coverage options offered by the insurance company that protect against injury to the driver or passengers, as well as damage to property. In most cases, this includes bodily injury and property damage liability coverage. Many companies will also offer uninsured/underinsured coverage, in case of a collision or property damage caused by an uninsured driver.
The best insurance providers give cash benefits and pay medical bills if there has been a serious accident. This category will be very important to consider when searching for the right company because it contains many of the core features of any insurance policy.
Most important policy coverage features
- Bodily Injury Liability - You are insured against damage if you injure or kill another person.
- Cash Benefits - The insurance company will provide cash benefits to you or your family if you have a serious or fatal accident, regardless of fault.
- Guest Passenger Liability - The insurance company will pay for any injuries sustained by a passenger who shares a ride with you.
- Medical Payments - Coverage that pays the cost of medical care you receive as a result of a motorcycle accident is offered.
- Property Damage Liability - Coverage that insures you against certain damages that you may cause to someone else's property are offered.
- Trip Interruption Coverage - The insurance provider will pay for food, lodging, and travel expenses if your motorcycle breaks down more than 100 miles from home.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury - The insurance provider pays for injuries caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Property Damage - The insurance company offers coverage against property damage caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
Claim Management details the different ways that customers can initiate the claims process following a motorcycle accident. These options include contacting an agent, using a mobile app, and submitting a claim online or over the phone. Claims centers that are available 24/7 will be found with the best insurance providers. This category is pretty important because if an incident occurs, customers want to be able to swiftly initiate a claim and know that the situation is being taken care of.
Most important claim management features
- 24/7 Claims Center - You can reach a claims center 24/7.
- Agent Claim Filing - You can contact an agent to file a claim.
- Mobile Claim Filing - You can file a claim through a mobile app.
- Online Claim Filing - You can file a claim online 24/7.
- Telephone Claim Filing - You can file a claim via telephone.
Discounts are the deductions that the insurance company offers to customers who exhibit responsible behavior. Many insurance providers will give discounts for paying the full amount of the policy up front, and for paying on time. Responsible bikers who don't submit claims often and take safety courses will also be able to earn discounts.
Certain companies also offer discounted rates to those insuring multiple vehicles, those who have either home or auto insurance policies through the same company, and anyone belonging to affiliate organizations. This category is fairly important because it will have a large impact on the overall cost of the insurance policy.
Most important discount features
- Accident Forgiveness - Your rates will not go up after an accident, if qualifications are met.
- Anti-Theft Discount - A discount is offered if you have any anti-theft devices installed.
- Claim-Free Discount - A discount is offered if you have no at-fault accidents during your previous policy period.
- Homeowner Discount - A discount is offered on your policy if you own your home.
- Instructor Discount - Current Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructors receive a discount.
- Mature Rider - Long-time motorcycle riders will receive a discount.
- Multi-Motorcycle Discount - A discount for insuring more than one motorcycle is offered.
- Multi-Policy Discount - A discount is offered if other types of insurance are purchased from the provider.
- On-Time Payment Discount - You can receive a discount for paying on time for a year.
- Organization Discount - You can receive a discount if you are a member of an affiliate organization (i.e. Riding Associations).
- Pay-in-Full Discount - You can receive a discount for paying the full amount of the policy up front.
- Reduced Deductible - You can receive a discount for each consecutive accident-free year that passes.
- Renewal Discount - You can receive a discount when you renew your insurance.
- Responsible Driver Discount - You can receive a discount for being a responsible driver.
- Safety Course - You can receive a discount for completing a safety course.
- Transfer Discount - You can receive a discount for transferring your insurance to the company.
Getting Started discusses the available tools to help prospective customers get an insurance quote and purchase their policy. The best providers offer an online quote tool to assist in finding a policy that fits the customer's needs and budget, and will then allow the customer to purchase that policy entirely online, without having to speak to an agent first.
Many insurance companies will also provide customers with several different ways to obtain their insurance cards once they have completed their purchase. This category is relatively important because it could make a big difference in how easy it is to find and sign up for an appropriate insurance policy.
Most important getting started features
- Insurance Cards by Fax - You can receive your insurance cards by fax.
- Insurance Cards by Mail - You can receive your insurance cards by mail.
- Online Policy Purchase - You can purchase your policy entirely online.
- Online Rate Quotes - You can get a quote on the company's website.
- Print Insurance Cards - You can print your insurance cards.
Additional Benefits describes the extra costs that the insurance provider will pay for in the event of an accident. This includes collision and comprehensive coverage for transport trailers, as well as roadside assistance in case of a breakdown. The best insurance companies will also pay the towing and labor costs to fix a customer's motorcycle, as well as providing reimbursement for a rental car while the motorcycle is being repaired. Not everyone may feel that these additional coverage options are necessary, but they can be extremely valuable to have in an accident, and can offer a lot of peace of mind.
Most important additional benefits features
- Rental Car Reimbursement - The provider repays you for the cost of renting a car while your motorcycle is being repaired due to an accident.
- Roadside Assistance - The provider offers roadside assistance in case of emergencies (tow, no gas, flat tire, etc.).
- Towing and Labor - The provider offers reimbursement for towing and labor costs.
- Transport Trailer - The provider offers Comprehensive and Collision (physical damage) coverage for your transport trailer.
Mobile explains what types of mobile apps the insurance company offers and what tasks these mobile apps allow customers to perform. Strong mobile tools will enable users to edit their policy, file a claim, connect with an agent, and receive text message updates or alerts related to their policy. Although having access to a mobile app can be very convenient, especially if an accident should occur, it is probably not going to be a must-have item on most people's lists.
Most important mobile features
- Android App - You can access your account through an Android app.
- Claim Details - You can update your claim details through a mobile app.
- Connect with an Agent - You can connect directly with an agent through a mobile app.
- Digital ID Cards - Digital ID cards are available online or on mobile devices.
- Edit Policy - You can edit or change your policy details with a mobile app.
- Favorable Mobile App Store Reviews - The insurance provider's iPhone and Android apps have a combined 3.5 stars or greater.
- File a Claim - You can initiate or file a new claim through a mobile app.
- GPS Locator - The mobile app has a built-in GPS locator.
- iPhone App - You can access your account through an Apple app.
- Text Message Alerts - Policy alerts or updates can be issued by text message.
Online Policy Management
Online Policy Management encompasses all the different actions that can be carried out through an online account on the insurance provider's website. This may include things like adding a driver to the policy, changing policy details, viewing billing information, and setting up paperless billing. While the tools in this category can certainly make managing a policy more convenient, it will probably not have a significant influence on which insurance provider most people will choose.
Most important online policy management features
- Add a Driver - You can add a new driver to your insurance policy online.
- Billing Status - You can check your billing status and payment information online.
- Dashboard - You can manage and change policy details using an online dashboard.
- Paperless Billing - You can elect to receive statements and policy information via email or on the company's website.
- Replace Motorcycle - You can replace or change a motorcycle covered by your insurance policy online.
Payment Options outlines the different methods customers can use to pay for their insurance policy. Common options include by mail, over the phone, and online. Some insurance companies even allow customers to set up automatic payments, so that they don't have to remember to do it themselves.
An alternative to this is the option to prepay the policy in full, something which could earn customers a discount with certain companies. However, in the scheme of things, this category will probably not be that important, since there are many companies who score well in this area.
Most important payment option features
- Automatic Payments - Payments can be scheduled automatically.
- Credit Card Payments - You can make payments with your credit card.
- Flexible Payment Terms - The insurance company offers flexible payment terms over different periods of time.
- Mail Payments - You can mail your payments.
- Online Payments - You can make payments online.
- Pay by Bank Account - You can make payments directly from your bank account.
- Phone Payments - You can make payments by phone.
- Prepayment - You can pay your policy in full instead of monthly.
Support is how customers can contact the insurance provider with questions or concerns. Email and phone support are common, but the best motorcycle companies offer live chat on their website for fast communication, and will also have a strong presence on popular social media websites like Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. When choosing an insurance provider, however, this category will probably not have a large influence.
Most important support features
- Email/Ticket - You can reach the provider for support through email or a ticket system.
- Live Chat - You can reach the provider for support through live chat.
- Phone - You can contact the provider by phone to get support.
- Social Media - You can contact the provider through social media websites.
Choosing the right motorcycle insurance for you
The best motorcycle insurance company for one person isn't necessarily the best for another. Each company offers different discounts and coverage options depending on what someone is willing to pay. Finding the right insurer is important considering some people have custom bikes while others just want the cheapest insurance available.