The 3 Best Cheap Motorcycle Insurance Companies
Protect your bike without breaking the bank
Searching for the best cheap motorcycle insurance is no easy task, since prices vary significantly based on where you live, your driving history, and the type of bike you’re insuring. There are also discounts and your desired coverage level to consider. Using these as our focus, we examined all the top companies and came up with this list of the best cheap motorcycle insurance providers.
Our top picks for the cheapest motorcycle insurance
The Reviews.com team found three favorite insurance providers after going through the quote process with a number of our recommended companies.
- Save up to 50% : Allstate's discounts could save you a considerable amount on your motorcycle insurance.
- Accident forgiveness : Your motorcycle insurance rates won't go up after your first accident.
- Complete protection : Allstate offers total protection for you, your bike, and your passengers.
- A.M. Best Rating A+
- Known Discounts 8
- Accident forgiveness? Yes
- Large selection of discounts : Nationwide offers more motorcycle insurance discounts than any other company on this list.
- Vanishing Deductible : Your deductible decreases by $100 every year you don't have an accident.
- Coverage for all types of bikes : Nationwide insures custom and vintage motorcycles, as well as trikes
- A.M. Best Rating: A+
- Known Discounts: 12
- Accident forgiveness?: Yes
- Rates won't go up due to an accident : State Farm won't increase your rates over a single accident.
- Excellent policy coverage : State Farm offers complete liability and motorcycle coverage.
- Several discounts : State Farm offers multi-policy, responsible driver, and homeowners discounts, among others.
- A.M. Best Rating: A++
- Known Discounts: 8
- Accident forgiveness: Yes
What to look for to find cheap motorcycle insurance
The cost of motorcycle insurance depends on a number of factors. Where you live is important as is your driving record. The type of motorcycle you’re insuring also makes a difference. Custom and vintage bikes cost more to insure than your standard motorcycle. To find your best price, you need to get quotes from multiple companies and compare their rates, along with the level of coverage you’ll receive. We recommend starting out with quotes from the three companies listed above.
Discounts can help lower the cost of your motorcycle insurance premiums even further. Common ones include multi-policy, multi-motorcycle, responsible driver, safety course, and transfer discounts. However, the exact discounts you’re eligible for vary by company and by state, so do some investigating to find out what options are available in your area. Nationwide stood out the most in this category by offering the most ways to save, including unique anti-lock brake and theft-recovery device discounts.
The level of coverage you want also impacts the overall cost of the policy. Basic liability insurance doesn’t cost as much as total protection for you and your bike. Think carefully about the types of coverage you want and choose a company that offers this. For example, if you own a custom or vintage motorcycle, you need a company that insures these. And if you take long motorcycle trips, trip interruption coverage is a good investment. All companies on this list offer solid protection, but State Farm is the place to turn if you want the most complete coverage you can get.
The Bottom Line
If you’re looking for cheap motorcycle insurance, any company on this list will do. Our top pick is Allstate, but depending on your circumstances, they may not be the most affordable for you. Get quotes from multiple companies and compare their rates and levels of coverage to find the best deal.