Regent University Review
Regent University, a private Christian school, offers a great variety of online degree programs that include teachings rooted in Biblical principles.
Excellent variety of degree options:
Regent University is home to a great selection of online degree programs. Eleven diverse subjects are available, including several degrees not commonly found in an online format. As a Christian university, Regent offers popular bachelor’s degree programs in both Christian ministry and Biblical and theological studies. You can also choose from degree programs in business, government, history, and psychology, among other options. If you’re interested in pursuing the business program, you can further specialize in one of five concentrations, including management, marketing, human resources, accounting, and hospitality and tourism. All degree subjects at Regent University integrate teachings on Biblical principles throughout the curriculum.
Unique online peer mentorship program:
Regent University’s peer mentorship program connects newly enrolled online students with an experienced student partner who already knows the ins and outs of the Regent system. Participating in this voluntary program is a great way to quickly get up to speed on Regent’s online course delivery system. You can also learn about strategies for managing course requirements, meeting assignment deadlines, and other challenges that most new students face, both online and on campus. While other top programs maintain online forums and other social hubs for students to ask questions and socialize, Regent’s mentorship program is pretty unique among the best programs.
Streamlined online application process:
The Regent University application process is a snap to complete. As long as you have all your past school records close at hand, you can prepare and submit your application in under an hour. Most pages on the Regent University website include an “Apply Now” button in the upper-right corner. Simply click the button, choose a username and password, and start entering your information. The application tool automatically leads you through the process, saving your work at each step. If you have to leave before finishing the application, just log back in later with your username and password to continue working.
Decent tuition rates:
Although Regent University is not the cheapest option available, the school’s $395 tuition rate compares quite favorably with many top programs in the country. If cost is of utmost importance to you, you can find a couple programs that charge around $250 per credit at the most affordable end of the scale. Regent University ranks slightly behind these schools, in the second tier of affordability, alongside several programs that charge between $350 and $400 per credit. Given Regent University’s excellent selection of degree options and quality online resources, the school offers solid value for the money.
Student retention rates somewhat low:
According to the U.S. News & World Report survey of online bachelor’s programs, Regent University could stand to improve student retention rates. In each of the last four years, the university reports that between 50% and 60% of its first-year students returned for a second year of study. This means that 40% or more of Regent University students quit before their sophomore year. While this performance is not altogether terrible for a large online program like Regent, other top online schools of similar or larger size, such as Bellevue University and Pennsylvania State University-World Campus, are able to achieve student retention rates near and above 70% on a regular basis.
- Academic Year Founded: 2003 - 2004
- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Application Fee: $50
- Application Requirements: Essay, Transcripts, Test Scores
- Location: VA
- Number of Bachelor's Programs: 11
- Region: Southeast
- School Type: Private
- Term Schedule: Semester
Tuition Rates (Per Credit)
- In-State: $395
- Out-of-State: $395
- Degrees: Biblical and Theology Studies, Business, Christian Ministry, Communications, Criminal Justice, English, History, Information Systems, Government, Leadership, Psychology
- Acceptance Rate: 55%
- Average Student Age: 32
- Gender Ratio: 62.6% female, 37.4% male
- Maximum Class Size: 25
- Total Enrollment: 2,612
- Average Online Teaching Experience: 4 Years
- Full-Time Instructional Faculty: 31
- Part-Time Instructional Faculty: 156
Graduation and Retention Rates
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2010): 55%
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2011): 54%
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2012): 60%
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2013): 60%
- 3 Year Graduation Rate (2009-2010): 27%
- 3 Year Graduation Rate (2010-2011): 33%
- 3 Year Graduation Rate (2011-2012): 24%
- 3 Year Graduation Rate (2012-2013): 22%
U.S. News Rankings
- Faculty Credentials and Training Rank: 11
- Faculty Credentials and Training Score: 83/100
- Student Engagement Rank: 47
- Student Engagement Score: 70/100
- Student Services and Technology Rank: 52
- Student Services and Technology Score: 56/100