Indiana University - Bloomington Review
Indiana University-Bloomington offers an exceptional online graduate education program with a strong reputation for an online faculty that helps engage and retain students.
Emphasis on student engagement
If you’re looking for an engaging educational experience that challenges you to reach your full potential, Indiana University-Bloomington (IUB) is one of the best schools out there. In the latest survey of online graduate education programs by U.S. News and World Report, IUB ranks as the third best program in the nation in terms of student engagement. Measures of student engagement include a variety of factors, including instructor availability, course design, level of student collaboration, and class size.
Exceptional student retention rates
In each of the last four academic years, Indiana University-Bloomington has reported first-year student retention rates above 85%. Student retention rates measure how many first-year students continue into a second year of study. While IUB’s performance is outstanding, it’s not really that surprising when you consider the university’s excellent student engagement efforts, which play a big role in guiding students through each step of the degree program toward graduation.
Quality online faculty
IUB also rates among the top online graduate education programs when it comes to measuring faculty quality. As a student at IUB, you’ll work with highly qualified subject experts who teach both online and on campus. Many faculty members have been recognized for groundbreaking research in the field of education, and others are award-winners in the classroom. To help ensure that you get the most effective teaching possible, online faculty members receive regular training in the best practices for online instruction.
Decent selection of degree options
Indiana University-Bloomington offers four of its most popular graduate education degrees online, including adult education, literacy, special education, and instructional technology. While there are several online programs that offer more variety in degree choice, IUB offers a nice mix of options that should appeal to many prospective students. IUB also offers an online doctoral program in instructional technology, which is rare. To enter this program, you must first complete a master’s degree in the subject, whether at Indiana University-Bloomington or another accredited university.
No prior classroom experience required
In contrast to a number of other top online graduate education programs, Indiana University-Bloomington doesn’t require students to show past classroom teaching experience to qualify for admission. This means that recent bachelor’s graduates are eligible for IUB online education programs, as are students who want to enter the education field from another profession. Other online education programs require students to show substantial recent classroom teaching experience. Graceland University-Lamoni, for example, even requires applicants to have a current full-time teaching job.
Very high acceptance rate
Indiana University-Bloomington isn’t particularly selective when it comes to their student body, admitting 98% of those who apply. You may think this is a good thing, but schools that show a bit more selectivity when looking at applicants generally have stronger student bodies, which contributes to a better overall learning experience. So this is something you may want to take into account when choosing an online master’s in education program.
- Academic Year Founded: 2000 - 2001
- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Application Fee: $55
- Location: IN
- Number of Graduate Education Programs: 5
- Region: Midwest
- School Type: Public
- Term Schedule: Semester
Tuition Rates (per credit)
- In-State: $397
- Out-of-State: $397
- Degrees: Educational Leadership, Adult Education, Special Education, Literacy, Culture, and Language Education, Instructional Systems Technology (Ed.D)
- Certificates: EFL/ESL, Higher Education and Student Affairs, Instructional Systems Technology, Learning Science, Media, and Technology certificate
- Acceptance Rate: 98%
- Average Student Age: 35
- Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.37
- Avg. GRE Analytical Writing: 4.0
- Avg. GRE Quantitative: 147
- Avg. GRE Verbal: 156
- Gender Ratio: 77.8% female, 22.2% male
- Maximum Class Size: 18
- Total Enrollment: 194
- Average Online Teaching Experience: 4 Years
- Full-Time Instructional Faculty: 47
- Part-Time Instructional Faculty: 46
Graduation and Retention Rates
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2009-2010): 100%
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2010-2011): 95%
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2011-2012): 93%
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2012-2013): 88%
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2009-2010): N/A
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2010-2011): N/A
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2011-2012): 80%
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2012-2013): 32%
U.S. News Rankings
- Admissions Selectivity Rank: 43
- Admissions Selectivity Score: 55/100
- Faculty Credentials and Training Rank: 2
- Faculty Credentials and Training Score: 97/100
- Student Engagement Rank: 3
- Student Engagement Score: 96/100
- Student Services and Technology Rank: 128
- Student Services and Technology Score: 43/100