University of Nebraska - Kearney Review
The University of Nebraska-Kearney is home to a nationally respected graduate education program best known for its education administration degrees.
Top 10 national ranking
In the latest survey of online graduate education programs, U.S. News & World Report names the University of Nebraska-Kearney (UNK) as the eighth-best program in the nation. The school receives high marks in a number of areas, but performs especially well on measures of faculty quality, for which it receives the second-best score out of more than 200 education programs nationwide. The U.S. News & World Report measure of faculty quality takes into account a number of factors, including subject expertise, teaching experience, and level of training for online teaching. UNK also performs well on measures of student engagement, which reflects online classroom practices, student communication practices, class sizes, and student retention rates.
Good variety of degree options
Whether you’re interested in curriculum development, instructional technology, reading instruction, or special education, you’ll find a great degree option at the University of Nebraska-Kearney. The school is especially well known for its education administration degree programs, which are designed to help classroom teachers transition into administrative roles in their schools. Specialized degree programs are available for several different administrative positions, including principal, curriculum supervisor, supervisor of special education, and school superintendent.
Very affordable tuition
University of Nebraska-Kearney online graduate education programs rank among the most affordable in the country. As a student at UNK, you’ll pay $430 tuition per credit, an amount that ranks as the second most affordable in the country behind South Dakota State University, which charges $400 per credit. If you happen to be a resident of Nebraska, you’ll pay in-state tuition of only $269 per credit, the best deal of any top online program.
Solid graduation rates
The University of Nebraska-Kearney excels at guiding its enrolled students through to graduation. According to U.S. News & World Report, a full 95% of UNK online education students complete their master’s degree within three years of enrolling. This is an exceptional success rate for an online program, especially one that has nearly 900 online education students.
Favorable credit transfer policy
If you have completed coursework in another accredited graduate education program in the past, chances are you can claim up to nine credits toward a similar UNK degree program. This is a favorable policy compared to several other top programs, which make it very difficult to transfer credits and often limit the number of transferable credits to six or even fewer. For a pre-enrollment evaluation of your transfer request, speak to a UNK admissions counselor.
Services and technology rating slightly low
While the University of Nebraska-Kearney excels in most measures of its graduate education program, it does fall slightly behind other top schools when it comes to student services and technology. U.S. News & World Report places the university at the bottom of the top-40 programs in the nation in this category. This is not to say that UNK is failing their students in this area, but more to highlight the fact that they could raise their stature by focusing on improvements. After all, when you consider that more than 200 different schools were analyzed for this ranking, a top-40 placing is not that bad at all.
- Academic Year Founded: 2001 - 2002
- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Application Fee: $45
- Location: NE
- Number of Graduate Education Programs: 9
- Region: Midwest
- School Type: Public
- Term Schedule: Semester
Tuition Rates (per credit)
- In-State: $269
- Out-of-State: $430
- Degrees: Curriculum and Instruction: Elementary Education (M.A.Ed), Curriculum and Instruction: Reading & Special Education (M.A.Ed), Curriculum and Instruction: English as Second Language (M.A.Ed), Curriculum and Instruction: Secondary Education (M.A.Ed), Curriculum and Instruction: Instructional Effectiveness (M.A.Ed), Curriculum and Instruction: Reading/Special Education (M.A.Ed), Education Administration School Principalship PK-8 (M.A.Ed), Education Administration School Principalship 7-12 (M.A.Ed), Education Administration Curriculum Supervisor of Academic Area (M.A.Ed), Education Administration Supervisor of Special Education (M.A.Ed), Education Administration Specialist School Superintendent (Ed.S), Special Education (M.A.Ed) Special Education: Gifted (M.A.Ed), Special Education: Advanced Practitioner (M.A.Ed), Special Education: Mild/Moderate (M.A.Ed), Instructional Technology (M.S.Ed), Instructional Technology: School Librarian (M.S.Ed), Instructional Technology: Information Technology (M.S.Ed), Instructional Technology: Leadership in Instructional Technology (M.S.Ed), Physical Education-Master Teacher: Pedagogy (M.A.Ed), Physical Education-Master Teacher: Special Populations (M.A.Ed)
- Certificates: N/A
- Acceptance Rate: 93%
- Average Student Age: N/A
- Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.41
- Avg. GRE Analytical Writing: 4
- Avg. GRE Quantitative: 149
- Avg. GRE Verbal: 149
- Gender Ratio: 71.7% female, 28.3% male
- Maximum Class Size: 25
- Total Enrollment: 896
- Average Online Teaching Experience: 7 Years
- Full-Time Instructional Faculty: 23
- Part-Time Instructional Faculty: 10
Graduation and Retention Rates
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2009-2010): N/A
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2010-2011): N/A
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2011-2012): N/A
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2012-2013): N/A
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2009-2010): N/A
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2010-2011): 95%
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2011-2012): 95%
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2012-2013): N/A
U.S. News Rankings
- Admissions Selectivity Rank: 18
- Admissions Selectivity Score: 49.1/100
- Faculty Credentials and Training Rank: 2
- Faculty Credentials and Training Score: 98.3/100
- Student Engagement Rank: 24
- Student Engagement Score: 76.9/100
- Student Services and Technology Rank: 87
- Student Services and Technology Score: 38/100