Indiana State University - Bloomington Review
The well-respected Kelley School of Business at Indiana University-Bloomington offers an online MBA degree as part of their online graduate business program, Kelley Direct. The school's long history of successful online education delivery and abundance of course options help make the program a true standout.
Dual business degree opportunities
The Kelley School of Business at Indiana University (IU)-Bloomington offers a rich selection of graduate-level online degrees that can be combined with the MBA, including a master’s in marketing, global supply chain management, finance, or strategic management. Adding a second degree to your online coursework only requires 12 additional credit hours, or about four extra classes.
Seasoned in delivering online education
The Kelley School of Business at IU-Bloomington was one of the first top-20 business schools to offer online degree options, and the program currently has over 14 years of online teaching experience. Every online course delivers the same rigorous curriculum that traditional, on-campus students receive. The Kelley School of Business has an outstanding reputation and is regularly named one of the best business schools by top publications, so it is not surprising that their online programs operate at the same high level.
Strong peer reputation
In the 2013 U.S. News & World Report, IU-Bloomington received a peer reputation mean score of 4.2 out of 5, the highest for a top graduate business program. This score indicates that students at other graduate business programs respect Indiana University-Bloomington, which can be beneficial when you start networking for a high-paying job.
Kelley Direct events occur across the country
The Kelley School of Business at IU-Bloomington offers casual, informative events in major cities across the country where prospective students can learn more about the program in a real-life setting. During these live cocktail events, applicants have an opportunity to meet future classmates and speak directly to university representatives.
Over 50 online courses
IU-Bloomington offers well over 50 different online MBA courses and allows you to build your own curriculum rather than assigning specific courses to establish a concentration. Subjects include economics, marketing, finance, operations, information technology, project management, and business law and ethics. You have the freedom of selecting three electives and two clinic classes on subjects of your choice, and the rest of your online MBA courses comprise your pre-selected core requirements.
In-residence week required
During a mandatory week-long session on campus in Bloomington, Indiana, you are introduced to the program, faculty, staff, and fellow students. This introductory week is not your only in-person requirement, as you need to return for a week-long session during your second year of the program. Face-to-face sessions are great opportunities to build up your personal and professional network, but traveling to the IU-Bloomington campus may not be a realistic option for some applicants.
Tuition runs high
The estimated total cost of tuition for the online MBA at IU-Bloomington is quite possibly the highest compared to all other top online MBA programs. The most recent estimate is about $58,395 for the entire degree, or $1,145 per credit hour. There is no difference in price for the online MBA program for Indiana residents or nonresidents. Keep in mind that the online MBA offered through Kelley Direct comes from one of the most well-ranked, well-respected business schools in the country, and the price is a reflection of that.
- Academic Year Founded: 1999-2000
- Application Deadline: July 1
- Application Fee: $75
- Location: IN
- Region: Midwest
- School Type: Public
- Term Schedule: Quarter
Tuition Rates (per Credit)
- In-State: $1,175
- Out-of-State: $1,175
- Program Cost: $59,925
- General Management
- Human Resources Management
- International Business
- Management Information Systems
- Organizational Behavior
- Portfolio Management
- Production/Operations Management
- Quantitative Analysis/Statistics and Operations Research
- Supply Chain Management/Logistics
- Acceptance Rate: 80%
- Average GMAT Score: 622
- Average Student Age: 32
- Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.32
- Average Work Experience: 7.4 Years
- Gender Ratio: 22.6% female, 77.4% male
- Maximum Class Size: 45
- Total Enrollment: 747
- Average Online Teaching Experience: 15 Years
- Full-Time Instructional Faculty: 74
- Part-Time Instructional Faculty: 9
Graduation and Retention Rates
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2009): 99%
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2010): 99%
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2011): 99%
- 1 Year New Student Retention Rate (2013): 99%
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2009-2010): N/A
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2010-2011): N/A
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2011-2012): 70%
- Graduation Rate Within 3 Years (2012-2013): 67%
U.S. News Rankings
- Admissions Selectivity Rank: 12
- Admissions Selectivity Score: 84/100
- Faculty Credentials and Training Rank: 87
- Faculty Credentials and Training Score: 79/100
- Peer Reputation Mean Score (1-5): 4.2
- Student Engagement Rank: 20
- Student Engagement Score: 88/100
- Student Services and Technology Rank: 49
- Student Services and Technology Score: 51/100