Citi® Platinum Select® / AAadvantage® World Mastercard® Review
In terms of bonuses and flying benefits, it's tough to find a better airline credit card than the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®. While other cards may offer higher rewards-earning potential and a lower annual fee, the AAdvantage® card is more well rounded.
Considerable bonuses and extra discounts
Signing up for the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® will earn you 30,000 American Airlines bonus miles once you spend $1,000 within the first three months of owning the card. You can also receive a $100 American Airlines flight discount when you spend $30,000 or more on your credit card during each year of membership. Given the amount you have to spend to receive the $100 discount, though, it’s not exactly spectacular.
First bag free for five plus priority boarding
As a cardmember, your first checked bag is free on any American Airlines flight and the first bag is free for up to four of your travel companions. That can save some significant cash if you have family members or co-workers who often check bags.
In-flight savings on purchases
When you use your Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® on in-flight purchases for food, beverages, and headsets, you will receive a 25% statement credit on these purchases. The savings will appear on your statement as a credit within eight weeks after the transaction appears on your account.
Earn miles back
When you redeem your American Airlines AAdvantage® miles, you can earn 10% back on the miles you redeem up to 10,000 miles each year. This is a great way to add more miles to your rewards account by redeeming through American Airlines.
No spending limit
You won’t have to worry about hitting any specific spending limit when you use the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®. If you pay the amount that exceeds your revolving credit limit each month, you can spend as much as you want. For people who want to make a big ticket purchase, this is a great feature to have on a card.
Higher-than-average annual fee
The annual fee for the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® sits at $95, which is tied for the highest in the airline credit card industry. The good news is that the fee is waived for the first year and you do get a pretty decent amount of benefits overall.
Average rewards-earning potential
For every eligible American Airlines purchase, you will earn two miles per dollar spent. While this is fairly standard in the airline credit card industry, there are other cards that offer higher rewards-earning potential. All other purchases will earn you one mile per dollar spent.
Rates and Fees
- Annual Fee: $95 ($0 first year)
- Cash Advance Fee: $10 or 5% per cash advance
- Cash Advance Rate (APR): 25.24%
- Foreign Currency Transaction Fee: 3% per transaction
- Introductory Rate (APR): None
- Standard Rate (APR): 15.24%
- Default Penalty Rate (APR): 29.99%
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $35
- Minimum Interest Charge: $0.50
- Over-Limit Fee: None
- Returned Payment Fee: Up to $35
- Introductory Balance Transfer Rate (APR): None
- Standard Balance Transfer Fee: $5 or 3% per transfer
- Standard Balance Transfer Rate (APR): 15.24%
- Additional Rewards for Dining: None
- Additional Rewards for Gas: None
- Additional Rewards for Groceries: None
- Additional Rewards for Shopping: None
- Additional Rewards for Travel: None
- Bonus Points Offered: None
- Rewards Earnings for All Purchases: 1 mile per $1
- Sign-Up Bonus: 30,000 miles after spending $1,000 within first 3 months
- Type of Reward: Miles