Virgin America Visa Signature® Card Review
The Virgin America Visa Signature® Card has a great introductory offer for balance transfers and a sign-up bonus that is easy to earn. The high penalty APR may discourage some, but the card will be a great option for those who travel often with Virgin America.
Easy-to-earn sign-up bonus
The Virgin America Visa Signature® Card rewards cardholders with 10,000 bonus points after their first purchase. Many of the top rewards credit cards provide a sign-up bonus, but in most cases, the bonus is tied to spending several thousand dollars in the first few months of card ownership. The bonus with the Virgin America card is easy to earn, and will get you on your way to accumulating big points.
Excellent introductory offer for balance transfers
The Virgin America Visa Signature® card offers 0% interest for the first 15 months of card ownership for balance transfers. For those looking for a little interest relief, finding a rewards card with 0% interest can be a great asset, and the 15-month offer from Virgin America is among the best in the industry.
Bonus points for Virgin America purchases
The Virgin America Visa Signature® Card rewards cardholders with three points for every dollar spent on Virgin America. For those that travel with Virgin America often, this is a great way to earn some bonus points.
No annual fee option
In order to get all the benefits of the Virgin America Visa Signature® card, cardholders will have to pay a $49 annual membership fee. Many of the top rewards credit cards charge an annual fee, and considering some reach as much as $450, the $49 is not bad. However, the Virgin America Visa Signature® card offers a no annual fee option. The sign-up bonus and other rewards are relatively limited, but for those looking for a rewards credit card without an annual fee, this Virgin America card may be a good fit.
No over-limit fee
Some of the top rewards credit cards charge cardholders a fee for exceeding the credit limit. When cash flow is a bit tight, getting hit with an additional fee doesn’t help. Virgin America Visa Signature® cardholders will be pleased to find that the card does not charge an over-limit fee.
High penalty APR
Nearly all of the top rewards credit cards charge a penalty APR when the payments are delinquent. Most of these penalty rates are considerably higher than standard APRs, and the Virgin America Visa Signature® is no exception, charging a 30.24% penalty rate. If you keep your account current, this won’t be a problem, but those that occasionally fall behind on payments should be aware of the high rate.
Bonus points limited to Virgin Airline purchases
Some of the best travel credit cards reward cardholders with bonus points for common purchases like dining, gas, groceries, and others. The Virgin America Visa Signature® offers three points for every dollar spent on Virgin America, but does not provide any other options for earning bonus points. If you travel with Virgin America often, the Visa Signature® card will be a great fit. However, if you’re looking for a card that lets you earn bonus points with everyday purchases, the Virgin America Visa Signature® card may not be the best option.
Rates and Fees
- Annual Fee: $49
- Cash Advance Fee: $10 or 5% per cash advance
- Cash Advance Rate (APR): 25.24%
- Foreign Currency Transaction Fee: 3% per transaction
- Introductory Rate (APR): 15.99% - 24.99%
- Standard Rate (APR): 15.99% - 24.99%
- Default Penalty Rate (APR): 30.24%
- Late Payment Fee: $35
- Minimum Interest Charge: $2
- Over-Limit Fee: None
- Returned Payment Fee: $35
- Introductory Balance Transfer Rate (APR): $0
- Standard Balance Transfer Fee: $10 or 4% per transfer
- Standard Balance Transfer Rate (APR): 15.99% - 24.99%
- Additional Rewards for Dining: None
- Additional Rewards for Gas: None
- Additional Rewards for Groceries: None
- Additional Rewards for Shopping: None
- Additional Rewards for Travel: 3 points per $1
- Bonus Points Offered: 10,000 Elevate Status Points when you spend $25,000 per year
- Rewards Earnings for All Purchases: 1 point per $1
- Sign-Up Bonus: 10,000 bonus points with your first purchase
- Type of Reward: Airline