Visa® Black Card™ Review
The Visa® Black Card™ is positioned as an elite, prestige rewards card offering a competitive sign-up bonus, great travel benefits, and access to an exclusive 24/7 concierge service. The $495 annual fee may seem steep, but depending on your spending habits and preferences, the Black Card™ may be just what you're looking for.
24/7 concierge service and great benefits
The Visa® Black Card™ includes a strong set of additional benefits. Features like roadside assistance, travel insurance, car rental insurance, and emergency services are complemented well with access to a 24/7 Black Card™ concierge program. Through the concierge, members can receive assistance with entertainment planning, travel, business services, gift arrangement, specialty services, and more.
Unlimited VIP airport lounge visits
If you travel often, you will appreciate unlimited access to VIP airport lounges as part of the Visa® Black Card™ membership experience. This benefit will grant you access to more than 350 VIP airport lounges in more than 200 cities across the globe.
Competitive sign-up bonus
With the Visa® Black Card™, if you spend $1,500 within the first three months of card ownership, you will receive a bonus of 25,000 points. Many of the top rewards credit cards provide a bonus if new cardholders spend a certain amount in a specified time; however, in some of these cases the amount you need to spend is high or the allotted time to spend is limited. This offer from the Visa® Black Card™ is one of the more competitive bonus proposals.
Bonus for airline redemption
One unique perk of the Visa® Black Card™ is the bonus for airline redemption. When you redeem your points for airfare through the rewards program, you receive 2% value instead of 1%. This may not sound like a major difference, but it can actually result in fairly significant savings and enable you to get more from your points.
Trip delay reimbursement
An additional travel benefit offered by the Visa® Black Card™ is trip delay reimbursement. If your trip is delayed by more than 12 hours by a covered event, the Visa® Black Card™ will reimburse you up to $300 per ticket on expenses like meals and hotels. Knowing you can be reimbursed for these expenses will help minimize the impact of long delays.
Attractive balance transfer rate
The Visa® Black Card™ offers an introductory balance transfer rate of 0% for fifteen months. Not all rewards cards offer introductory transfer rates, and very few competitor cards offer a full fifteen months interest-free. If you’re looking to avoid interest and transfer an existing balance, the Black Card™ could be a good choice.
High annual fee
Although the Black Card™ does seem to have an aura of exclusivity surrounding it, the program operates pretty much like most rewards credit cards. However, the Black Card™ has a $495 annual fee, which is significantly higher than any other rewards card membership fee. Each additional card added to the account also requires a $195 annual fee. Like any rewards card, the things that you value and your purchasing behaviors will determine if the credit card is worth it.
Rates and Fees
- Annual Fee: $495 ($195 for each additional user)
- Cash Advance Fee: $10 or 5% per cash advance
- Cash Advance Rate (APR): 25.24%
- Foreign Currency Transaction Fee: None
- Introductory Rate (APR): None
- Standard Rate (APR): 14.99%
- Default Penalty Rate (APR): 27.24%
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $37
- Minimum Interest Charge: $0.50
- Over-Limit Fee: None
- Returned Payment Fee: Up to $37
- Introductory Balance Transfer Rate (APR): 0% for 15 months
- Standard Balance Transfer Fee: $5 or 3% per transfer
- Standard Balance Transfer Rate (APR): 14.99%
- Additional Rewards for Dining: None
- Additional Rewards for Gas: None
- Additional Rewards for Groceries: None
- Additional Rewards for Shopping: None
- Additional Rewards for Travel: None
- Bonus Points Offered: None
- Rewards Earnings for All Purchases: 1 point per $1
- Sign-Up Bonus: 25,000 after spending $1,500 within first 3 months
- Type of Reward: Points