Secured Credit Card Reviews
The Best Secured Credit Cards
We researched and compared 25 secured credit cards and reviewed 6 of the best based on 29 unique features.
What secured credit card features matter and why
Credit Limit focuses on the amount of credit that is available for the cardholder using a secured card. Some of the more important features relating to Credit Limit are being able to increase the credit line on a card due to good payment history or an additional security deposit. In terms of Credit Limit, the minimum and maximum credit lines are something that any cardholder will need to know. Credit Limit is a significant category for secured credit cards because it touches on the exact reason people need these type of cards, which is to establish good credit.
The most important credit limit features
- Fund Account Online - You can fund your account online.
- Increase Credit Limit with Additional Security Deposit - You can increase your credit limit by depositing more money.
- Increase Credit Limit with Good Payment History - You can earn credit limit increases based on your credit and payment history.
- No Approval Required for Credit Limit Increase - You do not need additional approval for credit limit increases.
Benefits is focused on the extra things provided by a secured card that may be of interest to the cardholder. Secured credit cards offer different benefits than regular credit cards because the benefits are more focused on credit monitoring and automatic credit reporting as opposed to insurance. The benefits for the best cards are not overwhelming, however, having a card that automatically reports and monitors credit, while also providing fraud liability can be of great help to the cardholder.
The most important benefits
- Automatic Credit Reporting - The credit card will automatically report your credit standing to the three major credit bureaus.
- Fraud Liability - The credit card offers fraud liability protection.
- Free Credit Monitoring - The credit card offers free credit monitoring services.
- Online Account Access - You can access your account 24/7 online.
Penalty Fees examines the changes in interest rate and any additional fees assigned to a delinquent account. It's common for a secured card to apply a late fee and a fee for a returned payment. Most of the best secured credit cards won't charge an over-limit fee. The Penalty Fees category outlines these penalty requirements and allows cardholders to be better informed about some of the consequences of a late payment.
The most important penalty fee features
- Grace Period - The credit card has a grace period before interest starts to accrue.
- No Late Payment Fee - The credit card does not have a late payment fee.
- No Minimum Interest Charge - The credit card does not have a minimum interest charge.
- No Over-Limit Fee - The credit card does not have an over-credit-limit fee.
- No Returned Payment Fee - The credit card does not have a returned payment fee.
Rates and Fees
Rates and Fees refers to the interest rates and costs associated with owning a secured card. Rates and Fees highlights introductory and standard rates, the cost of annual membership, and whether the issuer charges foreign currency transaction fees. In general, the issuers will charge an annual fee and a cash advance fee, but in some cases, cards will not charge a foreign transaction fee. For those who plan on carrying a balance on the card, looking for a lower APR will be a key selling point.
The most important rates and fees
- Annual Fee Less Than $35 - The credit card's annual fee is less than $35.
- Annual Fee Less Than $45 - The credit card's annual fee is less than $45.
- Annual Fee Less Than $55 - The credit card's annual fee is less than $55.
- No Annual Fee - The credit card does not have an annual fee.
- No Cash Advance Fee - The credit card does not have a cash advance fee.
- No Foreign Currency Transaction Fee - The credit card does not have a foreign currency transaction fee.
- No Set-up Fee - The credit card does not have a set-up fee.
Security Deposit has to do with the preliminary requirements for obtaining a secured card. All of the best secured credit cards will require a minimum security deposit that is fully refundable and FDIC-insured. It's important to be sure that the security deposit is affordable when selecting from a secured or "bad credit card." Some of the top cards will offer security deposit options that are less than $200.
The most important security deposit features
- Deposit Earns Interest - You can earn interest on your security deposit.
- Deposit Fully Refundable - The security deposit is fully refundable.
- Funds FDIC Insured - The security deposit is FDIC-insured.
- No Minimum Deposit - The credit card does not require a minimum security deposit.
Application refers to the different ways to apply for the secured card, and whether instant approval is available. Having the ability to apply online is the most important option, but in certain circumstances, it might be convenient to apply on the phone or in person. Instant approval is a feature offered by most credit cards, but it is often dependent upon creditworthiness.
The most important application features
- Apply By Phone - You can complete the credit card application process over the phone.
- Apply In Person - You can apply for the credit card live in person.
- Apply Online - You can complete the entire credit card application process online.
- Instant Approval - The card offers instant approval for the credit card.
Balance Transfers discusses features associated with transferring existing balances onto a credit card. Balance Transfers will include information regarding the standard transfer rate, as well as any introductory offers. The majority of secured credit cards don't allow any balance transfers, which makes this category less important for these cards. However, having the ability to transfer a balance is a nice additional feature.
The most important balance transfer features
- No Balance Transfer Fee - The credit card does not have a balance transfer fee.
- Transfer from Credit Cards - You can transfer a balance from another credit card.
- Transfer from Loans - You can transfer a balance from a loan to the credit card.