Good news: Arkansas drivers were recently named the ninth best in the nation. However, despite the kudos, Arkansas auto insurance rates are going up and if you get into an accident or get ticketed for a moving violation, you’re likely to see your premiums increase even more.

Why are Arkansas insurance rates so high? Cars and healthcare are both more expensive than they used to be, which means that car accidents result in higher claims. When insurers pay more in claims — and Arkansas insurers have seen claims go from several million dollars per year to over a billion dollars — they charge higher rates to make up the difference.

To find the best auto insurance in Arkansas, you’re going to want to look for the insurance provider that gives you the coverage you need while offering enough premium discounts that you aren’t stuck paying high rates. You’ll also want to make sure your insurer has enough financial stability to pay out your claims in the event of an accident. We’ve researched the five largest insurance providers in Arkansas to help you get started.

Arkansas Minimum Liability

Minimum liability is important for you to know and it varies from state to state. Here is the minimum amount of insurance required to drive in Arkansas:

  • $25,000 bodily injury coverage per person
  • $50,000 bodily injury coverage per accident
  • $25,000 property damage coverage per accident

This minimum liability policy is often called a 25/50/25 policy, so if you hear insurance agents mention those numbers, they’re referring to the minimum amount of insurance you are legally required to carry.

However, it’s a good idea to get more than the minimum amount of insurance. As we explain below, accidents can be very expensive, and anything that isn’t covered by your insurance will end up getting paid out of pocket. With that in mind, you should consider increasing your minimum liability and adding a few additional coverages to your policy:

  • Comprehensive coverage: this coverage protects your car from weather, theft, and other types of non-accident-related damage.
  • Collision coverage: this coverage protects your car from accidents that only involve one vehicle (e.g. if you collide with a tree).
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: this coverage protects you if you are hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver. For example: if a driver with no insurance rear-ends you and your hospital bills total $60,000, your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will help cover those costs.

Insurers also offer additional types of coverage, from roadside assistance to custom stereo coverage. Ask yourself which types of coverage might be best for you — and then get quotes from multiple insurance providers to see which insurer gives you the best offer.