What is a Car Insurance Quote?
A car insurance quote is the price that you’re estimated to pay for auto insurance from a company. To provide a quote, insurance companies evaluate your risk (a process called underwriting). Generally speaking, insurers consider the following factors when providing a quote:
- Credit score
- Driving habits (average miles driven, where you park, etc.)
- Driving history (including accidents and driving offenses)
- Your vehicle’s make, model and year
Are Car Insurance Quotes Free?
Online car insurance quotes are absolutely free. All it requires is about 15 minutes of your time and some information. Depending on the companies that you get auto insurance quotes from, you’ll have to provide basic information about yourself, your driving history, your vehicle, and the coverage you want.
Where to Get Instant Car Insurance Quotes Online
By comparing quotes from different car insurance companies, it’s possible to find the right balance between good coverage and service and an affordable premium.
Here are 10 major car insurance companies that offer fast, free car insurance quotes online:
What You Need to Get a Car Insurance Quote
Before you get online car insurance quotes, there is some information that you can gather to make the process fast and smooth. Have the following information ready when gathering car insurance quotes online:
- Personal information, including your birthday, social security number, address, and home ownership status
- Your driver’s license
- Your driving history, including all tickets, accidents, and infractions
- The driving history of other drivers who will be under your auto insurance policy
- Your insurance history, including claims made, previous company/companies, losses incurred, etc.
- Your vehicle’s make, model, year, and mileage
- Your vehicle’s safety features, such as airbags, anti-lock brakes, etc.
- Certifications from any driver safety courses
How to Compare Car Insurance Companies
While price is important, there are other factors to consider when choosing a car insurance company. Be sure to consider the following:
- Financial strength: You can find about a car insurance company’s financial strength by looking up its rating with well-known and trusted independent reviewers, such as A.M. Best and Moody’s. It’s important to choose a company that has solid financials to follow through on paying out claims.
- Coverage options: The amount of coverage offered by an insurance company is crucial when comparing online car insurance quotes. Each state has different legal requirements for minimum coverage, and it’s a good idea to get additional coverage above that minimum. You can find out about available coverage by talking to an agent or searching the provider’s website.
- Customer satisfaction: Should you have any issues and need to speak to customer service, it’s important to have a positive experience. Look at customer satisfaction ratings from independent companies like J.D. Power and the Better Business Bureau.
- Claims satisfaction: Filing an insurance claim is stressful, so you want to make sure your provider makes it as straightforward as possible. Consider reviews of the claims process from J.D. Power and Consumer Reports to learn how satisfied customers are with their claims experience.
- Buying insurance doesn’t have to be complicated. Read our full car insurance buyer’s guide to learn more.
- Our research shows 40% of people don’t shop around for car insurance as often as they should. If you’re already insured, learn how to switch your car insurance.
- Younger drivers can be more expensive to insure. We looked into how to get cheap car insurance for students and how to add teen drivers to your policy.
- Still got questions about car insurance? Check our Frequently Asked Questions page.