Cable Internet Reviews
The Best Cable Internet
After our research of 31 cable Internet providers, 11 came out on top with superb offerings and features, with Verizon Fios ranking the highest due to impressive speeds and download rates.
For those of you who are movie watchers or gamers, Verizon FiOS is ideal for you. All of its plans come with fast upload rates. It also scored well in an FCC test of internet service providers, earning high marks for reliability. All of this is why Verizon FiOS is a great choice for internet service provider.
If you’re not looking to break the bank but still want an exceptional cable Internet provider, Time Warner Cable is the one for you. Not only does Time Warner Cable offer the cheapest monthly prices nationwide, they also have six plans to choose from. Another nice perk with Time Warner Cable is the fact that there’s no credit check required. This is good news for all of the people out there with less than perfect credit.
Best Cable Internet Providers: Summed Up
How we chose the best cable internet provider
We put together a list of 31 cable Internet providers and reviewed 11 of the best based on 38 cable Internet features.
What cable internet features matter and why
Contract discusses factors common in Internet service provider contracts, including fees and contract length. Many of the top Internet service providers charge activation or early termination fees and increase the monthly rate over time. The best Internet service providers don’t charge these fees and guarantee steady prices throughout the terms of the contract.
Some Internet service providers require customers to sign lengthy contracts, while others allow customers to get service without a contract. Contract is an important category because it identifies many of the important factors to consider when signing up with an Internet service provider.
Most important contract features
- Money-Back Guarantee – The Internet service provider offers some form of money back guarantee within an allotted time period.
- No Activation Fees – The Internet service provider doesn’t charge any activation fees.
- No Contract – You can get Internet service without signing any contract.
- No Early Termination Fees – The Internet service provider does not charge a termination fee if you cancel your contract early.
- No Long-Term Contract – You can get Internet service without signing a contract that is longer than one year.
- No Price Increases – The Internet service provider does not automatically increase prices at certain time periods.
- Short-Term Contract – You can get Internet service without signing a contract that is longer than six months.
Performance and Speed
Performance and Speed deals with the speeds offered by the Internet service providers as well as any limitations on data usage, which only come into play for satellite and 4G Internet service. Available speeds vary dramatically based on the type of Internet service, as do the data restrictions.
Some companies allow unlimited data usage, while others slow the Internet speed or charge users extra once they have exceeded a certain point. Certain companies enable customers to purchase additional data if they surpass this limit. This category is one of the most important to think about when choosing an Internet service provider, as it has the largest effect on the overall performance of the Internet.
Most important performance and speed features
- Extreme Performance – The Internet service offers download speeds over 100 Mbps.
- Extreme Plus Performance – The Internet service offers download speeds at over 250 Mbps.
- High Performance – The Internet service offers download speeds between 51 and 100 Mbps.
- High Speed Plus – The Internet service offers download speeds between 11 and 25 Mbps.
- No Bandwidth Throttling – The internet service provider will not throttle your bandwidth, regardless of usage.
- Performance High Speed – The Internet service offers download speeds between 26 and 50 Mbps.
- Standard High Speed – The Internet service offers download speeds up to 10 Mbps.
Support has to do with the different ways that customers can reach an Internet service provider with questions or concerns, and how frequently the company’s support channels are available. The main types of support offered are email, phone, live chat, and social media support.
The best Internet service providers have one or more methods of support available 24/7, as well as knowledgeable technical support staff to assist users in case problems arise. This category may not affect a consumer’s day-to-day usage of the Internet service, but if an issue occurs, it is very important.
Most important support features
- 24-Hour Support – You can receive customer service or support 24 hours a day through a dedicated support line.
- Email/Ticket – The Internet service provider has an email or ticket system dedicated to support.
- Live Chat – The Internet service provider offers live chat support.
- Phone – You can contact the Internet service provider by phone to get support.
- Social Media – You can contact the Internet service provider with questions through social media websites.
- Tech Support – The Internet service provider offers technical support.
Account explains how consumers can manage their Internet service through an online account. Through this account, users can update their contact and payment information, and even view and pay their bills online. Those with satellite Internet can also monitor their available bandwidth online. All of these features are extremely important, but the category as a whole shouldn’t play a big part in the decision-making process, simply because almost all companies score highly in this area.
Most important account features
- Make Payment – You can make a payment online.
- Manage Email Accounts – You can manage email accounts online.
- Update Contact Information – You can update your contact information online.
- Update Payment Method – You can update your payment method online.
- View Bill – You can view your bill online.
Equipment discusses the various components of the Internet service that are provided by the company. In most cases, this includes an Ethernet cable and a modem. For those who go with a satellite Internet provider, this also includes any mounting and cable equipment necessary to the system. Some Internet service providers give customers the modem for free, which is great because otherwise there is usually a monthly lease fee for this equipment. Obviously these things are crucial to any Internet service, but the category itself shouldn’t be overly important since almost all companies already provide these items.
Most important equipment features
- Free Internet Modem – The Internet service provider offers a free Internet modem.
- Free Shipping – The Internet provider will ship any equipment needed for free.
- Internet Modem – The Internet service provider offers an Internet modem, usually to rent.
- Wireless Gateway – The Internet service provider has a single device that brings together all your services (Internet and TV) and distributes them throughout your home.
Installation describes the types of installations that are available, and whether or not there is a warranty on the Internet service. Although it varies depending on the type of Internet service provider, most companies give their customers the choice of either installing the system on their own or having a professional do it for them, usually for an additional fee.
Those who choose to have their system professionally installed often can schedule this installation online at a time that is convenient to them. Though this is only a one-time event, it is still important to ensure that the Internet service is installed correctly, so it is a good idea to consider this category when selecting your Internet provider.
Most important installation features
- Installation Warranty – The Internet service provider offers free assistance with anything that needs to be fixed within a certain time period after installation.
- Professional Installation – The Internet service provider offers professional installation.
- Schedule Online – You can schedule a professional installation appointment online.
- Self Installation – You can install the equipment needed to get Internet service on your own.
Signing Up encompasses the various different ways that new customers can sign up for the Internet service and the tools offered by the Internet provider to simplify the process. Most Internet providers allow people to sign up with them online, over the phone, or through an authorized dealer.
One resource provided by many of the best Internet service providers is an online plan selector tool that guides customers to the plan best suited for their needs. An online tool to help locate a local dealer is also useful to those who prefer to sign up with an authorized dealer at a retail location. Signing up is not the most important category, but it is something that Internet service providers should get right.
Most important sign up features
- Authorized Dealers – You can sign up for Internet service in person through an authorized dealer at a retail location.
- Find a Dealer – The Internet service provider’s website has a feature that helps you find a dealer closest to you.
- No Credit Check – You can get Internet service without going through a credit check.
- Online – You can sign up for Internet service online.
- Phone – You can sign up for Internet service by phone.
- Plan Selector – The Internet service provider’s website provides a plan selector tool to help you pick the right plan for your needs.
Extras refers to any additional perks or discounts that prospective customers get when signing up with the Internet service provider. The available bonuses vary significantly based on the type of Internet service. Satellite Internet providers often offer free usage zones, which is where any Internet usage does not count towards the monthly data limit.
4G mobile broadband providers may offer users a free Internet package, and cable Internet companies commonly offer bundled discounts for those who choose to also get TV and phone service through them. Bonuses are probably not crucial to most people, but there’s no denying that they’re nice options to have.
Most important extra features
- Bundled Phone Service – You can add phone service to your Internet package.
- Bundled TV Service – You can add television to your Internet package.
- Free Email Accounts – The Internet service comes with free email accounts.
- Wi-Fi Hot Spot Access – The Internet service comes with Wi-Fi hot spot access so that you can connect to your Internet service on the go.
Learning Materials are the resources found on the Internet service provider’s website that introduce customers to their products and services and walk them through solutions to technical problems. An FAQ is provided on almost every company’s website, and a knowledge base provides more detailed explanations. User guides are useful for learning how to set up the Internet service and troubleshoot basic issues.
For those answers that can’t be found anywhere else, the top Internet providers have a forum where users can talk to each other and members of the company about the service. These features can be very useful, but probably do not have a large impact on most people’s purchasing decision.
Most important learning materials
- FAQ – The Internet service provider has a list of answers to frequently asked questions.
- Forum – The Internet service provider has an interactive forum where users can post questions and answers.
- Knowledge Base – The Internet service provider has a knowledge base of detailed help articles.
- User Guide – The Internet service provider has a user guide or training manual available.