Nationwide Renters Insurance Review
- Robust online portal for quotes and filing claims
- Available in all 50 states
- Offers a variety of insurance products to bundle with renters coverage
- Credit card coverage included to protect against unauthorized charges
How We Reviewed Nationwide Renters Insurance
11 companies compared
3 features evaluated
5 ratings analyzed
Nationwide Renters Insurance Review
If you don’t think renters insurance is needed, think again. Who will cover your expenses if your belongings are damaged or stolen? The landlord isn’t responsible for your property — you are. Luckily, renters insurance is generally affordable.
Nationwide is known for homeowners and auto insurance, but it also offers rental coverage. It will protect your valuables like computers, clothes, jewelry, and electronics against loss or damage by paying for their repair or replacement so you’re not stuck with out-of-pocket costs. It’ll even cover the medical bills of guests who are hurt while visiting you or lawsuits should someone slip and fall in your apartment. Unfortunately, Nationwide doesn't have the best track record with customer satisfaction, so if good customer service is high on your priority list, you may want to look elsewhere. Otherwise, Nationwide's solid coverage makes it worthy of a quote.
Multi-policy bundling discounts
Good online learning center
Average customer satisfaction rating
The Renters Insurance Factors We Analyzed
Nationwide’s customer satisfaction score in the J.D. Power Property Claims Satisfaction study was an average three out of five, with the insurer coming in ninth place out of 22 ranked insurers. However, in a separate J.D. Power study measuring customer satisfaction with renters insurance, Nationwide fell below industry average with a score of two out of five. That said, the company had fewer complaints than average registered with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners in 2018, so low J.D. Power rankings could be an indication that customers are unhappy with the insurer's pricing or policy offerings.
One of the strongest features of Nationwide is its online access. Customers can get quotes, apply for renters insurance, manage their accounts, pay bills, and even file claims online. Besides online access, customer service representatives are available and ready to help by calling 1-877-669-6877.
Nationwide’s renters insurance covers the contents of your rented home or apartment. The coverage provides standard personal liability, medical payments, and loss of use for when you need to move out while your home is being repaired or refurbished. It also includes credit card coverage as standard that pays up to your selected limit for unauthorized credit card, bank, and ATM transactions, as well as forged checks. Besides the standard coverage, Nationwide has four supplemental coverages:
- Earthquake coverage to reimburse you for part of your losses
- Theft Extension to protect your belongings outside of the house when they’re stored in a motor vehicle
- Valuables Plus to add extra coverage if you own expensive art, jewelry, or other high-ticket valuables
- Water Backup for water damage caused by clogged drains or backed-up sewers
Deals, discounts, and add-ons
Renters insurance isn’t typically expensive. Coverage typically costs as little as $14 to $18 per month. You can reduce the cost further by taking advantage of Nationwide discounts such as:
- Multi-policy discount when you bundle your other Nationwide Insurance coverages like auto insurance
- Protective device discount if you have installed a home security system, smoke detectors, and carbon monoxide detectors
- Claims-free discount for long-term customers if you haven’t filed a renters insurance claim in the past
Nationwide Renters Insurance Overview: Financial Strength, Availability, and History
Nationwide Insurance started in 1926 as Farm Bureau Mutual to provide affordable car insurance to Ohio farmers. Today, it's the 10th-largest insurer in the country and a Fortune 100 company. Besides traditional coverages like auto, home, and life insurance, the insurer offers unique insurance products such as pet, identity theft, and wedding insurance.
- In business since: 1926
- S&P Global financial strength rating: A+
- Moody’s financial strength rating: A1
- A.M. Best financial strength rating: A+
- States served: 50
All information accurate as of January 15, 2020.