Top Life Insurance Companies and Ratings
What Do Life Insurance Ratings Mean for Me?
These ratings are meant to give you an idea of how the biggest players in life insurance stack up next to one another. Even though life insurance is “out of sight, out of mind” for the most part, you want to be sure that you’re working with a reputable company in case the policy is ever needed.
That said, ratings should always be taken with a grain of salt. Remember that these scores are averages and don’t account for every individual agent, policy, or customer experience. For instance: A company with a seemingly low customer service score might actually have great agents at your local branch. A company with sub-par coverage ratings could still offer speciality coverage items that you’re looking for.
Use our life insurance ratings as a starting point, but be sure to do your own research, too. Start by clicking the providers accompanied by a “†” symbol for more information about coverage, service, and in-depth company comparisons. And if you’re not comfortable comparing policy options on your own, we recommend speaking with an independent agent. They represent multiple companies and can help you find the one that best fits your needs.
Our Life Insurance Rating System
Our rating system incorporates scores from official agencies like the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, as well as consumer-based survey groups like J.D. Power. We’ve translated each company’s rating scale into a five-star system to make comparisons a little easier.
How does life insurance work, anyway?
- Start with our guide to life insurance for a debrief on who needs life insurance, how different policies work, and how to start your search.
What kind of policy do I need?
- For more information on term, whole, and universal life insurance — and which type is right for you — see our guide to choosing a life insurance policy.
I want to learn more about:
- The best life insurance companies
- The best term life insurance companies
- The best whole life insurance companies
- The best life insurance companies for seniors
I’m ready to start comparing prices.
- Life insurance premiums vary widely from person to person and company to company. Use our life insurance quote tool to find the most popular providers in your area and start comparing rates.