Online Master's in Education Reviews
The Best Online Master's in Education Programs
We put together a list of 208 online master’s in education programs and then selected the best based on 79 different stats and features.
What online master's in education program features matter and why
Networking refers to the resources that the online school provides to connect students and alumni of the online master’s in education program to jobs and to each other. This includes networks on popular social media platforms like Facebook and LinkedIn. Many schools also have an alumni association, and the best online programs will also offer help with job placement after graduation.
This category should be a major focus when choosing an online program because ultimately, students earn their master’s degrees in education so that they are able to find good jobs in that field. Any resources that universities can offer students to help with this process will be extremely valuable.
Most important networking features
- 5,000+ LinkedIn Network Members – The school has a LinkedIn network of alumni, faculty, and students with 5,000 members or more.
- Alumni Association – The school offers membership to an alumni association.
- Career Services – The school offers job placement or career services to students and graduates.
- Facebook Network – The school has a Facebook network of alumni, faculty, and students.
- LinkedIn Network – The school has a LinkedIn network of alumni, faculty, and students.
Enrollment explains the admissions process, along with when and how to apply to the online school. Many of the best online master’s in education programs allow students to earn their degree entirely online, and will accept both full- and part-time students. They will also have a very selective admissions process to ensure that their student body is filled with dedicated, intelligent students who are really focused on getting their online master’s degree in education.
Some schools also let their students begin their studies at several points throughout the year while others require students to begin in the fall. Applications are typically completed online but many schools will also accept mail-in forms. This category is fairly important because it contains vital information about the enrollment process.
Most important enrollment features
- Entirely Online – You can earn a degree entirely online.
- Flexible Term Start – The school does not require a Fall start for incoming students.
- Full-Time – The school allows students to be enrolled at full-time status.
- International Student Enrollment – The school offers enrollment to international students.
- Mail-in Form – You can apply by mail.
- No Application Fee – There is no application fee or application fee can be waived in certain circumstances.
- Online Application – You can apply online.
- Part-Time – The school allows students to be enrolled at part-time status.
- Selective Admissions – The school does not admit every applicant.
- Transfer Credits – The school accepts transfer credits to apply towards a degree.
Financial Aid describes the different methods of financial assistance that the university provides for students to use towards earning their master’s in education online. All the programs reviewed here provide students with access to federal student loans, while the best online master’s in education programs will also have grants and scholarships available to students who qualify for them.
This is a fairly important category because almost everyone needs some sort of financial assistance when working toward their master’s degree; however, there are many schools that perform well in this category, so it shouldn’t be a primary focus when choosing the right master’s program in education.
Most important financial aid features
- Federal Student Loans – The school provides access to federal student loans.
- Grants – The school provides access to grants.
- Scholarships – The school provides access to scholarships.
Student Engagement discusses how well the online master’s in education program engages its students in the classroom, based off several different factors. Faculty credentials and training are important to ensuring a high-quality learning environment, as are excellent student services and an elite and motivated student body. Student engagement can also be seen through the number of students that continue on with the program beyond the first year as well as how many students graduate after three years.
Student Engagement helps differentiate the top schools, and is worth looking at when searching for the best online master’s program in education.
Most important student engagement features
- High Admissions Selectivity Score – The online graduate education program received an Admissions Selectivity score of 50 or higher from U.S. News and World Report.
- High Faculty Credentials and Training Score – The online graduate education program received a Faculty Credentials and Training score of 85 or higher from U.S. News and World Report.
- High Graduation Rate – The university has a competitive three-year graduation rate from academic year 2012-2013 when compared to schools of a similar size.
- High Retention Rate – The university has a competitive one-year retention rate from 2013 when compared to schools of similar size.
- High Student Engagement Score – The online graduate education program received a Student Engagement score of 85 or higher from U.S. News and World Report.
- High Student Services and Technology Score – The online graduate education program received a Student Services and Technology score of 45 or higher from U.S. News and World Report.
Application Requirements outlines the types of documents prospective students must submit along with their application, as well as what previous education or work experience is required to apply to the online master’s degree in education. Typically, students are required to submit transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, and a resume. Some schools may require a formal interview, either in person or over the phone, before the student is accepted.
Certain schools offering master’s in education online also require students to have previous work experience or undergraduate coursework in an education-related field in order to be eligible for admission. Although this information is something that all prospective students should be aware of before applying to the online school, this category will probably not have a large influence when choosing amongst the best online master’s in education programs.
Most important application requirements
- Education-Related Undergraduate Coursework Required – The online school typically requires the applicant to have completed education-related coursework.
- Education-Related Undergraduate Degree Required – The online school typically requires the applicant to have an undergraduate degree in a education-related field.
- Education-Related Work Experience Required – The online school typically requires the applicant to have education-related work experience.
- Essay – The application requires an essay or personal statement.
- Formal Interview – The application process requires an in-person or phone interview.
- Letters of Recommendations – You are required to submit at least one letter of recommendation as part of the application process.
- Resume – You are required to submit a copy of your resume.
- Test Scores – The application requires copies of standardized tests scores (GMAT, GRE, etc).
- Transcripts – The application requires copies of education transcripts.
Student Services are the materials available to students in the online master’s in education program to help them with their studies. Academic advising is great for helping students design their schedules and figure out what classes they need to take, and live technical support is a nice option to have should computer problems arise. Online tutoring is another service offered by many universities for students who need a little extra assistance in a particular class.
The best online schools will also have digitized library materials for students to access from wherever they are. Student Services probably won’t be a main focus when considering which online master’s in education program to choose, though, in part because many schools already score well in this category.
Most important student services
- 24/7 Live Tech Support – The school offers access to 24/7 live tech support.
- Academic Advising – The school offers academic advising.
- Digital Library – Students have access to digitized library materials.
- Online Tutoring – The school provides access to online tutoring.