Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express Review
Blue Cash Everyday® from American Express offers generous cash back on groceries, US stand-alone gas purchases, and department stores. Despite higher interest rates, this card is a very straightforward rewards credit card aimed to reward you for the things you do most often.
Earn cash back with no limits
No limits means that you can earn even more cash back when you spend on big-ticket items. Basically, the more you spend, the more you save in the form of cash back. With the card, you earn 3% at U.S. supermarkets, up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 2% at US gas stations and select US department stores, 1% on other purchases (terms and limitations apply). Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
Flexible ways to get rewards
From discounts when staying at certain hotels, renting cars, or dining out, to onboard credit on exotic cruises, American Express has you covered, no questions asked. Have a friend or family member who needs a credit card? If you refer your friends, you can earn 25 Reward Dollars for each friend approved for the card. Add family to your account and you’ll earn even more cash back.
Great introductory rates
The Blue Cash Everyday® card has a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months, then a variable rate, currently 13.49% to 23.49%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors (terms and restrictions apply). It is important to note that this card is meant for those with excellent credit.
Notable signup bonus
With the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, you can earn $100 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive the $100 back in the form of a statement credit.
Interest rates can get high
If you have average credit and are looking to carry a balance with the Blue Cash Everyday® card, you may want to explore other options. If there is any silver lining, however, it’s that American Express offers some of the best services in the entire industry, including purchase and fraudulent protection as well as travel and emergency services.
2% cash back earnings are limited
While earning 2% cash back on groceries at US stand-alone supermarkets is a significant reward, the amount you can earn 2% cash back on is capped at $6,000 for each calendar year. Your cash back then drops to 1% per dollar spent once you spend over $6,000. This is not uncommon with rewards cards, but it would be nice to be able to consistently count on earning 2% cash back.
Rates and Fees
- Annual Fee: $0
- Cash Advance Fee: $5 or 3% per cash advance
- Cash Advance Rate (APR): 25.74%
- Foreign Currency Transaction Fee: 2.7% per transaction
- Introductory Rate (APR): 0% on Purchases for 12 months
- Standard Rate (APR): 13.49% - 23.49% Variable
- Default Penalty Rate (APR): 29.74%
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $38
- Minimum Interest Charge: None
- Over-Limit Fee: None
- Returned Payment Fee: Up to $38
- Introductory Balance Transfer Rate (APR): 0% APR for the first 12 months on balance transfers requested within 30 days of account opening, based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Standard Balance Transfer Fee: $5 or 3% per transfer
- Standard Balance Transfer Rate (APR): 13.49% to 23.49% Variable
- Additional Rewards for Dining: None
- Additional Rewards for Gas: 2% cash back at U.S. stand-alone gas stations
- Additional Rewards for Groceries: 3% cash back at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets for purchases up to $6,000 per year (1% thereafter)
- Additional Rewards for Shopping: 2% at U.S. gas stations & select U.S. department stores
- Additional Rewards for Travel: None
- Bonus Points Offered: None
- Rewards Earnings for All Purchases: 1% cash back on eligible purchases
- Sign-Up Bonus: Earn $100 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive the $100 back in the form of a statement credit.
- Type of Reward: Cash Back