US Airways® Premier World Mastercard Review
You might not be able to earn as many air miles with the US Airways® Premier World MasterCard® compared to other cards, but the significant signup bonus and two companion fares each year makes it one of the better airline credit cards.
Very high signup bonus
The US Airways® Premier World MasterCard® offers one of the highest signup bonuses of any airline credit card. You can earn 40,000 bonus miles after your first purchase and payment of the $89 annual fee. Most bonuses are offered after spending a specific amount of money so getting your bonus after one purchase is very nice. If you transfer a balance within 90 days of opening an account, you can earn up to 10,000 more bonus miles.
Two companion fares each year
A major benefit of the US Airways® Premier World MasterCard® is that you receive two $99 companion fares each year. This means a friend or family member can fly for $99 alongside you, twice a year. Many other airline credit cards don’t even offer companion fares and if they do, most are more expensive.
World Mastercard® benefits
In addition to the specific airline benefits, you also inherit all the benefits that come with owning a World MasterCard®. These benefits include concierge service to help you with hard-to-find items and price protection on your purchases.
Priority boarding and check-in
An added benefit of this card is Zone 2 priority boarding. This means you won’t have to wait for your zone to get called and you can board early on every US Airways flight. Cardholders can also check in for flights at the first class counter, which will save you from waiting in long lines.
Unspectacular rewards earnings
The most disappointing feature about this US Airways card is that the maximum amount of air miles you can earn is two miles per dollar spent on US Airways purchases. All other purchases will get you one mile per dollar spent. This is lower than the average rewards offered by many of the best airline credit cards, but the companion fares and bonus miles might make up for the lack of rewards-earning potential.
Slightly higher annual fee
The annual fee for owning the US Airways® Premier World MasterCard® is $89, which is slightly higher than other comparable cards. The highest annual fee for any airline card we looked at was $95 per year; however, some of those cards offer the first year for free, while the US Airways card does not. Only one airline credit card, the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard®, has no annual fee.
Rates and Fees
- Annual Fee: $89
- Cash Advance Fee: $10 or 4% per cash advance
- Cash Advance Rate (APR): 25.24%
- Foreign Currency Transaction Fee: 3% per transaction
- Introductory Rate (APR): N/A
- Standard Rate (APR): 15.99% or 24.99%* Variable
- Default Penalty Rate (APR): Up to 27.24%
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $35
- Minimum Interest Charge: $2
- Over-Limit Fee: None
- Returned Payment Fee: Up to $35
- Introductory Balance Transfer Rate (APR): 0% for 12 months
- Standard Balance Transfer Fee: $10 or 4% per transfer
- Standard Balance Transfer Rate (APR): 15.99% or 24.99%* Variable
- Additional Rewards for Dining: None
- Additional Rewards for Gas: None
- Additional Rewards for Groceries: None
- Additional Rewards for Shopping: None
- Additional Rewards for Travel: None
- Bonus Points Offered: 5,000 miles award discount on airfare
- Rewards Earnings for All Purchases: 1 mile per $1
- Sign-Up Bonus: 30,000 miles after first purchase
- Type of Reward: Miles