Strong automation capabilities:
Vivant's automation capabilities include the ability to control lighting, temperature, and appliances through the security system. This functionality can also be accomplished through a web portal or on a mobile device. You can also schedule automation, turning lights on or off at certain times in order to make it appear as if someone is home. You can also set event-triggered automation, where lighting, appliances, video cameras, or other security equipment responds to certain events or actions.
Vivint has made it a priority to embrace innovative and emerging technologies. In addition to smart home automation, Vivint promotes energy efficiency and is making an effort to be the industry-leading rooftop solar systems provider in the country.
High-quality, modern design:
When a home security company cares about design, it shows not only through their website but also in their keypad, mobile, and online portal interfaces. In addition, design-focused home security companies are more sensitive to the fact that you don't want big, bulky security equipment cluttering up your house. All keypads, sensors, and detectors provided by Vivint boast a clean and simple design and won't negatively impact the ambience of your home.
Well-established, financially stable company:
Founded in 1999, Vivint has been a solid industry competitor for many years. As indicated by the company history, Vivint has hit some impressive milestones over the past few years, and it's highly probable that the organization will continue to grow and diversify further in the future. Even more promising, Vivint was purchased by Blackstone Group LP for approximately $2 billion, which is a good indication that the company will be around for some time to come.
Vivint provides internal monitoring and attempts to be transparent with customer service issues. Although the majority of top home security companies also provide internal monitoring services, it's not uncommon in the industry for the company you originally signed up with to outsource your monitoring to a competitor organization, or to turn around and sell your account to a different monitoring company altogether. Vivint remains committed to serving you and your home security needs as long as you're their customer.
No outdoor cameras:
Outdoor security cameras are designed to be weather-resistant and are especially useful for protecting cars from break-ins or for solving property damage cases. If outdoor cameras are particularly important to you, Vivint may not be the right choice.
Limited relocation options:
Vivint home security systems are installed by professional service technicians who mount keypads on a wall in your home. When you move, Vivint recommends reinstalling your system if you have roughly $500 worth of equipment. Further stipulations, like the length of time you've been a customer, can result in additional fees. If you anticipate moving before the terms of your contract expire, an out-of-the-box home security system may be a better fit.
Lengthy contract requirements:
Vivint's typical home security contracts range from 42 to 60 months, so be sure you take the time to understand contract expectations before signing. Vivint often provides a basic home security package at a heavily discounted cost. However, bear in mind that home security equipment is expensive, so anytime you're offered a free or cheap system, expect contracts to be fairly lengthy.
- Adjust Temperature - You can adjust the temperature of your house remotely.
- Appliance Control - You can remotely turn small appliances on or off using a smartphone or Internet connection.
- Arm/Disarm - You can arm and disarm the security system remotely.
- Change Access Codes - You can change system access codes for different people who may have to enter your home.
- Electronic Door Locks - The company offers electronic door locks that can communicate wirelessly so you are able to lock and unlock your doors from anywhere.
- Event-Triggered Automation - You can set your lights to react to alarm sensors or other events.
- History Log - You can view a logged history of events that have taken place over a specified time period.
- Home Alerts - You can automatically receive alerts from your security system to keep you aware of what is happening in your house when you are not around.
- Lighting Control - You can turn lights on or off using your laptop or smartphone.
- Scheduled Automation - You can set a schedule for lights to be on at specific times of each day.
Home Security Package
Monthly Plan: $54+