- Reviews.com awards Farmers a 4 out of 5 based on customer reviews, discounts available, and coverage options.
- Farmers auto insurance costs an average of $1,990 in the United States.
- Drivers can file a Farmers car insurance claim online or at a local office.
Farmers car insurance is one of the most recognized insurance companies in the industry with a widespread network of offices and agents nationwide. While the company claims that its agent network is strong and willing to assist customers with questions and claims, its customer satisfaction reviews and complaints are lacking. However, Farmers has kept abreast of tech advancements by offering drivers telematics-based app discounts for safe driving and CrashAssist technology for drivers after an accident.
With this information, we created a Farmers car insurance review based on the carrier’s customer satisfaction ratings, discounts, coverage, accessibility, and online resources.
Farmer’s Full Coverage Average Premium In Each State
Data Source: Coverage.com
Farmers Car Insurance Overview
Policyholders in the Central area of the country are most satisfied with the carrier, according to the most recent J.D. Power customer satisfaction study. According to YouGov, Farmers is the 10th most popular insurance brand and 39% of people have a positive opinion of Farmers insurance.
However, drivers that own newer-model vehicles have the option to add new car replacement value coverage that replaces the car if it is totaled. As for classic car owners, Farmers provides coverage and even offers guaranteed-value insurance, which pays out an agreed-to amount if the vehicle is stolen or totaled.
- Coverage options: A widevariety of unique coverage options for all types of vehicles including new and classic.
- Local presence: Over 48,000 agents nationwide means drivers can get help in person or over the phone locally.
- Farmers Signal: Sign up for the usage-based program to receive a 15% discount after each renewal and an additional 10% young drivers.
- Accident Forgiveness: Farmers will keep premiums low even if in the event of an at-fault accident by forgiving one every three years.
- No gap insurance available: Farmers doesn’t sell gap coverage and directs you to buy it from the dealer.
- Six-month policies: Farmers car insurance policies are in effect for only six months instead of the standard year most carriers offer.
- High number of customer complaints: The National Assocation of Insurance Commissioners logged a 1.62 complaint index for Farmers. A
- Average customer satisfaction: J.D. Power’s Auto Claims Satisfaction study shows Farmers is rated average in claims satisfaction with customers.
Farmers Insurance Highlights
Customer will find that Farmers car insurance offers all the types of coverage that each state may require, including bodily injury and property damage liability, PIP, medical injury and uninsured/underinsured motorist. In addition, customers can purchase comprehensive and collision insurance for full coverage, which is typically required when financing a car.
Existing policyholders who participated as respondents in the J.D. Power auto insurance customer satisfaction study rated Farmers an average of 818 out of 1,000 points across all studied regions. In J.D. Power’s Auto Claims Satisfaction study, Farmers earned an average score of 872 out of 1,000 points, but was far behind top car insurance carriers like State Farm, Erie, and Amica. Furthermore, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners indexed Farmers’ complaints at 1.63, slightly higher than the market average of 1.
Farmers offers a bevy of additional coverage options for enhanced car insurance. There are drivers who have special insurance requirements and are in search of coverages that may not be available everywhere. Farmers’ optional car insurance coverage includes:
- Glass deductible buyback
- New car replacement
- Spare parts coverage
- OEM coverage
- Full windshield and glass
- Accident forgiveness
- Loss of use
- Customized equipment
- Rental car reimbursement
- Roadside assistance
However, Farmers does lack when in discounts compared to its competitors. It states that drivers can lower their Farmers car insurance premiums by driving older cars, going claims-free, raising their deductibles, and asking their local agent about discounts available in their area.
Farmers car insurance encourages policyholders to file claims with their local agents. Having someone locally who can work on your behalf to get you paid could be a valuable resource. For after-hours claims, call 1-800-435-7764, log in to your account online, or use the mobile app to start a claim.
Farmers’ Car Insurance Bundling Discounts for Cheaper Insurance
Farmers Insurance is a full-service insurance company, meaning the provider offers a variety of insurance products including car, home, renters, and other vehicles (motorcycles, boats, RVs, and more). Bundling more than one type of insurance with Farmers will likely reduce your bill for all the coverages you choose to buy with the same carrier. You’ll be able to save on your Farmers auto insurance using this approach, as well as simplifying your life by managing several policies with one company in one place.
Farmers Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Provider||Reviews.com Score||AM Best||J.D Power Customer Satisfaction*||No. of Discounts|
Information accurate as of June 2021
Farmers vs. Nationwide
When choosing between Farmers and Nationwide, the decision will likely come down to whether you’re willing to trade off customer service and options for cheaper car insurance. Nationwide is comparatively no-frills when compared to Farmers. Rates are likely cheaper, but you won’t have as many coverage options or customer support. If this is an issue, Farmers is ideal, especially if you have a newer or higher-value vehicle requiring extra coverage.
Farmers vs. State Farm
Choosing between Farmers and State Farm can be difficult, simply because both companies are among the largest and have a long-standing reputation for providing quality car insurance. If customer service and an efficient claims process are important to you, Farmers’ J.D. Power rating is considerably lower than State Farm’s. Furthermore, if you’re more interested in low premiums, State Farm’s average premium cost in the U.S. is $1,493, compared to Farmers’ $1,990.
Farmers vs. Allstate
As with State Farm, Farmers and Allstate have a large local presence of agents and offices. However, Allstate has more car insurance discounts, providing potentially cheaper car insurance rates. If you have young drivers in your household, Allstate is also the better choice because of the number of teen and young driver discounts available.
Farmers Auto Insurance FAQ
According to data from Coverage.com, Farmers car insurance costs an average of $1,990 a year for full coverage. However, individual auto insurance quotes are based on location, age, driving history, ZIP code, and more.
Farmers receives an A++ (Superior) rating from the credit reporting agency, AM Best. This means that the carrier is financially stable and stronger than the majority of insurance companies and is able to pay out claims even in case of a widespread disaster.
Farmers Insurance is a good auto insurance company, according to its policyholders, who rank it high in customer satisfaction in the annual J.D. Power insurance study.
We evaluated Farmers auto insurance based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength, and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.