- Reviews.com awards Farmers a 4 out of 5 based on customer reviews, discounts available, and coverage options.
- Farmers full coverage auto insurance costs an average of $1,990 in the United States.
- Drivers can file a Farmers car insurance claim online or at a local office.
Farmers car insurance is one of the most recognized insurance companies in the industry with a widespread network of offices and agents nationwide. While the company claims that its agent network is strong and willing to assist customers with questions and claims, its customer satisfaction scores remain below average in nine out of 11 geographic regions. However, Farmers has kept abreast of tech advancements by offering drivers telematics-based app discounts for safe driving and CrashAssist technology for drivers after an accident.
With this information, we created a Farmers car insurance review based on the carrier’s customer satisfaction ratings, discounts, coverage, accessibility, and online resources.
Farmer’s Full Coverage Average Premium In Each State
Data Source: Coverage.com
Farmers Car Insurance Overview
Policyholders in the Central area of the country are most satisfied with the carrier, according to the most recent J.D. Power customer satisfaction study. According to YouGov, Farmers is the 9th most popular insurance brand and 40% of people have a positive opinion of Farmers insurance.
Drivers that own newer-model vehicles have the option to add new car replacement value coverage that replaces the car if it is totaled in a covered accident. As for classic car owners, Farmers provides coverage and even offers guaranteed-value insurance, which pays out an agreed-to amount if the vehicle is stolen or totaled.
- Coverage options: A widevariety of unique coverage options for all types of vehicles including new and classic.
- Local presence: Over 48,000 agents nationwide means drivers can get help in person or over the phone locally.
- Farmers Signal: Sign up for Signal, their usage-based program, to receive an initial 5% discount and then up to a 15% discount after each renewal and an additional 10% for young drivers.
- Accident Forgiveness: You may be able to score low premiums with Farmers even after an accident. The company forgives one at-fault accident every three years.
- No gap insurance available: Farmers does not offer gap insurance and instead advises customers to purchase it from their auto dealer
- Six-month policies: Farmers car insurance policies are in effect for only six months instead of the standard year most carriers offer.
- Average customer satisfaction: J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study shows Farmers is rated average in claims satisfaction with customers. Farmers also received a fairly average NAIC complaint index of .79
Farmers Insurance Highlights
Customer will find that Farmers car insurance offers all the types of coverage that each state may require, including bodily injury and property damage liability, PIP, medical payments and uninsured/underinsured motorist. In addition, customers can purchase comprehensive and collision insurance for full coverage, which is typically required when financing a car.
Existing policyholders who participated as respondents in the 2021 J.D. Power Auto Insurance Customer Satisfaction Study rated Farmers an average of 818 out of 1,000 points across all studied regions. In J.D. Power’s Auto Claims Satisfaction study, Farmers earned an average score of 872 out of 1,000 points, which was the industry average. In this study, Farmers lagged behind top car insurance carriers like State Farm, Erie, and Amica. Furthermore, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners indexed Farmers’ complaints at .79, slightly below the market average of 1.0.
Farmers offers a bevy of additional coverage options for enhanced car insurance. If you have special insurance requirements, Farmers may have coverage to suit your needs. Farmers’ optional car insurance coverage includes:
- Glass deductible buyback
- New car replacement
- Spare parts coverage
- OEM coverage
- Full windshield and glass
- Accident forgiveness
- Loss of use
- Customized equipment
- Rental car reimbursement
- Roadside assistance
In terms of discounts, Farmers offers these for vehicles with safety features, drivers being claims-free, being a good student, and enrolling in ePolicy, among others.
Farmers car insurance encourages policyholders to file claims with their local agents. Having someone locally who can work on your behalf to get you paid could be a valuable resource. For after-hours claims, call 1-800-435-7764, log in to your account online, or use the mobile app to start a claim.
Farmers’ Car Insurance Bundling Discounts for Cheaper Insurance
Farmers Insurance is a full-service insurance company, meaning the provider offers a variety of insurance products including car, home, renters, and other vehicles (motorcycles, boats, RVs, and more). Bundling more than one type of insurance with Farmers will likely reduce your premiums for all the policies you choose to buy with the same carrier. You should be able to save on your Farmers auto insurance using this approach, as well as simplifying your life by managing several policies with one company in one place.
Farmers Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Provider||Reviews.com Score||AM Best||2021 J.D Power Score*|
Information accurate as of August 2021
Farmers vs. Nationwide
Farmers offers a wider range of coverage options and generally more positively-rated customer service than Nationwide. Although Nationwide is comparatively no-frills, the provider offers cheaper auto insurance than Farmers, based on our review of quoted rates. If you own a new or high-value vehicle and require extra coverage, Farmers may offer more options to you.
Farmers vs. State Farm
Choosing between Farmers and State Farm will depend on your specific needs; both companies are among the largest and have a long-standing reputation for providing quality car insurance. If customer service and an efficient claims process are important to you, Farmers’ J.D. Power rating is considerably lower than State Farm’s. Furthermore, if you’re more interested in low premiums, State Farm’s average annual full coverage premium in the U.S. is $1,493, compared to Farmers’ $1,990.
Farmers vs. Allstate
As with State Farm, Farmers and Allstate have a large local presence of agents and offices. However, Allstate has more car insurance discounts, providing potentially cheaper car insurance rates. If you have young drivers in your household, Allstate may be the better choice for parents, due to the number of teen and young driver discounts available.
Farmers Auto Insurance FAQ
According to data from Coverage.com, Farmers car insurance costs an average of $1,990 per year for full coverage. However, individual auto insurance quotes are based on location, age (except in Hawaii), driving history, and ZIP code (except in California and Michigan), among other factors.
Farmers received an A++ (Superior) rating from the credit reporting agency, AM Best. This is the highest rating offered by AM Best and indicates the carrier’s financial stability and that it has a history of being able to pay out claims.
Farmers Insurance is a good auto insurance company, according to its policyholders, who rank it high in customer satisfaction in the annual J.D. Power insurance study.
We evaluated Farmers auto insurance based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength, and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.