- Progressive is one of the largest car insurance companies in the country, based on market share.
- The Name Your Price tool helps you set your vehicle insurance budget and find coverage within the amount.
- Reviews.com scores Progressive auto insurance with a 4.4 out of 5, based on customer reviews, coverage, and financial strength.
Progressive car insurance is known as one of the most innovative vehicle coverage carriers for discounts. The provider offers customers a number of ways to save on their auto insurance, including the innovative Snapshot program that discounts premiums based on a driver’s habits, accident forgiveness, and a deductible bank that reduces your deductible each year without a claim. Progressive insurance reviews from customers are generally positive, which shows adept customer management. Additionally, drivers can receive an online car insurance quote from Progressive in minutes. We reviewed criteria such as policy options, discounts available, and customer reviews to score Progressive with a 4.4 out of 5.
Progressive Car Insurance Overview
Progressive auto insurance is one of Reviews’ top choices for vehicle coverage, depending on your needs. It makes the list in all regions of J.D. Power’s customer satisfaction study, ranking in the top five in the New England, Southwest, and Texas areas. However, Progressive offers fewer add-ons and coverage options than their competitors. If you aren’t looking for an extensive list of add-ons, Progressive could be a great option for you. The company offers abundant discounts that allow you to save, including the Name Your Price tool, a deductible savings bank, and many more. If you insure a teenage driver, your teen could benefit from one of Progressive’s student discounts.
- Nationwide availability Vehicle coverage is available in all states from Progressive.
- Snapshot Program If you allow Progressive to track your driving via telematics, you could receive discounts for safe practices behind the wheel.
- Savings Progressive advertises an average of $700 or more in savings for customers who switch from other carriers.
- Accident Forgiveness Some drivers may qualify for accident forgiveness, in which Progressive agrees to not increase your premium after you file your first accident claim.
- Progressive insurance reviews Customer satisfaction could use improvement.
- Insurance options Few coverage options are available compared to other auto insurance companies.
- Progressive car insurance quote tool The quote tool is limited and may require a credit check before providing a coverage estimate.
- Poor claims satisfaction J.D. Power’s Auto Claims Satisfaction study shows Progressive with below-average claims satisfaction — 856 out of 1,000 compared to the 872 industry average.
Progressive Car Insurance Highlights
Progressive offers the types of coverage most states require including liability, collision, comprehensive, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance. Progressive provides two main categories of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: bodily injury coverage and property damage coverage.
Additionally, Progressive offers free pet coverage to drivers who have collision insurance (except in North Carolina & New Hampshire). If your pet is injured in a car accident, Progressive will pay up to $1,000 to help cover the cost of the vet bills.
Progressive Insurance offers plenty of coverage options and opportunities to save on vehicle coverage, but the carrier’s customer ratings are mixed. The NAIC’s complaint index for Progressive in 2020, the last year for which data is available, is .9, slightly higher than it was in 2019, at .7. Progressive’s score for private passenger from the NAIC is lower than average for the industry, and additionally, the insurer ranked as one of the top carriers in the J.D. Power customer satisfaction study.
Progressive claims that 99% of its customers qualify for at least one discount. Some of the most popular include bundling, Snapshot program, online Progressive car insurance quote, early signing, and teen driver discounts. Adding on the deductible savings bank can help you lower it over time if you avoid Progressive insurance claims.
While Progressive doesn’t offer as many add-ons as other car insurance carriers, the company does allow drivers to customize their coverage with the following add-ons:
- Loan/lease gap
- Roadside assistance
- Accident forgiveness
- Deductible savings bank
- Rental car reimbursement
- Rideshare coverage
- Custom parts and equipment value
Progressive insurance claims can be started in three ways. You can file online, through the Progressive mobile app or by calling the company’s hotline at 1-800-776-4737. You can also track your claims through these methods. Once you’re assigned to a claims representative, you’ll have the option to have the vehicle repair completed at a shop or receive payment instead.
Progressive’s Car Insurance Bundling Discounts for Cheaper Insurance
Bundling your vehicle insurance to lower your rate is also known as a multi-line or multi-policy discount. Purchasing a home or renters policy with car insurance may qualify you for a discount on a single policy or all of them. Progressive allows you to earn a discount of up to 5% on your car insurance premiums when you bundle home, renters, motorcycle, or RV insurance with your vehicle policy. All you need to do is buy one type of coverage and then add an additional type of insurance through Progressive to qualify for the bundling discount.
Progressive Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Provider||Reviews.com Score||AM Best||2021 J.D. Power Score*|
Information accurate as of June 2021
*J.D. Power’s 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study average rating across all regions. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
Progressive vs. Geico
Geico and Progressive both have many car insurance discounts to help customers save on coverage. Yet they each have a different approach to selling coverage. Progressive is available directly from the company or through independent agents, while Geico’s insurance is available directly from the website or by phone. In the end, Geico’s customers appear to be slightly more satisfied with the overall service and claims process than Progressive’s. The J.D. Power average score for Geico is 833, compared to Progressive’s 830.
Progressive vs. State Farm
If you’re in search of full coverage car insurance to cover a new or higher-value vehicle for a variety of events, State Farm has more options than Progressive. Through State Farm, you can insure classic or antique vehicles and sports cars, which are typically difficult to cover. However, owners of a standard vehicle may be more inclined to take advantage of Progressive’s Name Your Price tool to find cheap coverage.
Progressive vs. Allstate
Progressive and Allstate are two of the largest insurance providers in the country. Allstate is notable for maintaining a large representation of local offices and agents ready to help you with your insurance needs. If you prefer to work one-on-one with a local agent, Allstate may be a better option. Progressive also offers highly-available customer service, with representatives on call to answer your questions 24/7.
Progressive Car Insurance FAQ
Based on available data from Coverage.com, we found that Progressive full coverage car insurance costs an average of $1,584 a year in premiums. However, customers can use the Name Your Price tool to customize Progressive car insurance coverage based on their budget.
Progressive advertises plenty of discounts on its website, including its proprietary Name Your Price tool, which helps drivers customize coverage limits based on state minimums and personal budgets.
The better insurance provider depends on your preferences. Our editorial team found that Geico has slightly better J.D. Power customer satisfaction scores than Progressive, but both companies have a similar number of discounts. Overall, Geico earned a 4.6 out of 5 Reviews.com rating while Progressive earned a 4.4.
We evaluated Progressive auto insurance based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.