We recommend products and services based on unbiased research from our editorial team. We make money via affiliate links, which means if you click a link on our site, we may earn a commission. Any commissions we receive do not affect our recommendations; if you want to know more about how that works, read more.
DIY home security systems offer an affordable and flexible solution to home safety. When comparing the best DIY home security systems, we considered factors such as equipment and monitoring prices, contract requirements, installation options, smart home compatibility, video capabilities and product warranty. The best DIY systems on the market offer low-cost plans with flexible equipment packages, smart-home compatibility, and no contract requirements. Some of these systems are good enough to compete directly with traditional companies in this industry and also made it to our overall list of best security systems.
The 4 Best DIY Home Security Systems
- Blue by ADT: Best for customization
- Frontpoint: Best for Professional Monitoring
- SimpliSafe: Best for Ease of Installation
- Ring: Best for Low-Cost DIY Security
Compare the Top DIY Security Systems
|Provider||Reviews.com score||Requires a contract?||Upfront costs||Professional monitoring option?||Professional installation option?||Smart Home Compatibility||Camera||Warranty|
|Blue by ADT||3.4||No||$219.99+||$19.99/mo||No||Yes||Yes||1 year|
|Frontpoint||2||No||319.95+||$44.99/mo – $49.99/mo||No||Yes||Yes||3 years|
|SimpliSafe||4.2||No||$229+||$14.99/mo – $24.99/mo||Yes||Yes||Yes||3 years|
|Ring||4.2||No||$199.99+||$10/mo or $100/yr||Yes||Yes||Yes||1 year|
Information accurate as of: 11/19/2020
Blue by ADT — Best for Customization
- Customizable packages
- Optional self-monitoring
- Access to ADT’s top-rated monitoring systems
- No professional installation option
- Mixed customer service reviews
Reviews Score: 3.4
Blue by ADT offers customizable home security systems with flexible packages and monitoring options. And because the company is owned by ADT, you enjoy access to ADT’s award-winning monitoring systems.
Blue by ADT’s security packages start at $219.99 and go up to $329.99. The company offers the option for self-monitoring, but you can also pay $19.99 for professional monitoring.
Blue by ADT has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. And although it came in last place in J.D. Power’s 2020 Home Security Customer Satisfaction Index for DIY installed systems, its scores were still higher than those of professionally installed systems.
Blue by ADT only offers DIY installation, however, you can call the company’s customer support line to get help with the setup process.
- Excellent professional monitoring
- Build-your-own package option
- Most expensive system on our list
- No professional installation option
Reviews Score: 2
Frontpoint is the most expensive of the security systems on our list, with professional monitoring starting at $44.99 and equipment starting at more than $300. But you get your money’s worth on professional monitoring. You can also save on equipment by opting for the build-your-own package.
Frontpoint’s security systems start at $319.95 for the seven-piece package. This puts them at the higher end of the price spectrum, but the company also offers a build-your-own package so you can set your own price. Frontline also has the most expensive professional monitoring starting at $44.99, but its perks make up for that.
Frontpoint has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, but it wasn’t included in the latest J.D. Power home security study. Frontpoint’s customer service is only available during certain hours.
Frontpoint only offers DIY installation — there’s no professional installation option. The company offers videos and guides on its website to help walk you through the process.
Check out our full Frontpoint review
- Top in customer satisfaction
- Optional professional monitoring
- Build-your-own package option
- No self-monitoring option
- Limited home automation features
- No standalone smart home products
Reviews Score: 4.2
SimpliSafe offers the best customer service, coming in first place in 2020’s J.D. Power Home Security Customer Satisfaction Index. The company also offers flexible systems, with multiple monitoring options and a build-your-own package option.
SimpliSafe’s standard security packages start at $229, but they also offer the option to build your own system. SimpliSafe does not offer self-monitoring, so expect to pay at least $14.99 per month for monitoring.
SimpliSafe definitely delivers when it comes to customer service. The company has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and ranked first in overall customer satisfaction in a 2020 J.D. Power home security study.
SimpliSafe is designed for easy DIY installation. The company also offers professional installation for a one-time fee of $79.
Check out our full SimpliSafe review.
- Low-cost system
- Optional professional installation
- Packages for any size home
- Cellular backup only available with paid professional monitoring
- Video recording only available with paid professional monitoring
Reviews Score: 4.2
If you’re looking for DIY home security on a budget, look no further than Ring. The company offers a comprehensive equipment package and professional monitoring for less than any of its competitors. Paid monitoring is optional, but you can’t access all of the features without it.
Ring offers five-piece, 10-piece, and 14-piece security systems, which cost $199.99, $259.99, and $329.99, respectively. Other potential costs include the company’s optional paid installation and optional professional monitoring.
Ring ranked second in overall customer satisfaction in a 2020 J.D. Power study, and it has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. The company offers round-the-clock customer service via phone and online chat.
The Ring Alarm System is designed for easy DIY installation. If you aren’t comfortable installing the system yourself, you can hire one of the company’s third-party partners to install the system for $99 for your first device and $65 for each additional device. Check out our full Ring review.
How Much Do DIY Security Systems Cost?
There are many good affordable security systems on the market, but price points vary widely. Some systems have equipment that starts at less than $100, while others require more than $599 worth of equipment when you sign up. Monitoring costs vary as well — you can skip the monthly cost and do self-monitoring, or you can pay anywhere from $10 – $50 for professional monitoring.
Even within a single system, costs differ for each customer. You can typically customize your system by purchasing individual cameras and door and window sensors in addition to the standard package. Finally, consider your installation costs. Each system on our list has free, easy DIY installation. But if you intend to pay someone to install your system for you, your costs will increase.
DIY Home Security Factors and Features to Consider
There are many DIY home security systems on the market, so it’s important to do your research to ensure you find the one that best fits your needs. Consider factors such as the system’s price, installation, and monitoring services before making your decision.
- Price: DIY security system prices vary a lot from one system to the next. Depending on the package you choose, your costs may include equipment, installation, monitoring, and more.
- Contract: We specifically chose security systems that don’t require a contract, but some companies have contracts that span anywhere from one to five years.
- Installation: Each of the systems on our list is designed for DIY installation, meaning you can easily install the system yourself for free. A couple of the systems also offer paid professional installation in case you aren’t comfortable doing it yourself.
- Equipment: Most security systems have standard equipment that you have to buy to get started, though some allow you to build your own package. Each company also allows you to purchase individual products, such as cameras and sensors, to add to your package.
- Monitoring: With your DIY security system, you may have the option of either self-monitoring or professional monitoring. While self-monitoring is typically free, professional monitoring adds an extra layer of security.
- Smart home compatibility: Each of the DIY security systems on our list offers smart home compatibility. You can use an app to control each part of your system, and the systems integrate with Amazon Alexa and/or Google Assistant.
How Did We Choose the Best DIY Home Security Systems?
Here at Reviews.com, it’s our mission to evaluate consumer services and recommend the best ones for our readers. When we evaluate home security systems we look for companies with a good reputation, quality equipment, and competitive pricing. To choose our top DIY security system providers we use a formula that considers monthly pricing, equipment costs, ease of installation, the flexibility of the contracts, and customer satisfaction.
FAQs about DIY Home Security Systems
Each of the security companies on our list sells systems that are easy to install on your own, with most requiring no more than an hour to set up.
DIY security systems are easy to uninstall and bring with you to your next home. Most of the systems on our list specifically market their products to renters for this reason.
Before buying a system, consider which features are most important for your needs. You can also read customer reviews online to see what other users have to say.
Security systems typically aren’t mix and match. Each of the companies on our list designs their products to work only with their system. Some systems may allow you to use other products, but they likely won’t be eligible for professional monitoring.
Our Other Home Security Reviews
We have compared the plans and installed the gadgets, and have amassed favorite products and services to care for all aspects of your home. Check out our top picks in the reviews below.