We recommend products and services based on unbiased research from our editorial team. We make money via affiliate links, which means if you click a link on our site, we may earn a commission. Any commissions we receive do not affect our recommendations; if you want to know more about how that works, read more.
When looking to purchase a home warranty, American Home Shield has established itself as a leading provider in the industry. Since helping invent the concept of the home warranty back in 1971, AHS offers customizable plans, which are perfectly suited for homeowners in need of flexible home warranty plans that aren’t restricted due to preexisting conditions to help ensure you can cater policies to your specific needs.
Moreover, the company’s longevity and nearly 2 million customers receiving more than $2 billion paid in warranty claims over the last five years, homeowners can trust American Home Shield to protect the appliances and home systems they depend on.
While American Home Shield does provide customers with a reputable source for home warranties, a short 30-day workman guarantee is not ideal for homeowners looking to use appliances and home systems for an extended time.
American Home Shield Overview
- Plan types: Appliances, Systems, Combo, and Build-Your-Own
- Pricing: Varies by location and plan
- Service fees: $75, $100 or $125
- Workmanship guarantee: 30-day guarantee
- Contract length: One year (standard)
- BBB rating: B
- Home inspection required? No
- States served: 49
- Available appliance and system coverage: offered separately, bundled or customized
|Appliances||Systems||Combo||Build Your Own|
|Appliances Covered||Refrigerators Ovens/cooktops Clothes washers Clothes dryers Dishwashers Built-in microwave ovens Trash Compactors Freestanding ice makers Garage door openers Built-in food centers||None||Refrigerators Ovens/cooktops Clothes washers Clothes dryers Dishwashers Built-in microwave ovens Trash Compactors Freestanding ice makers Garage door openers Built-in food centers||*all options available for customized plan|
|Systems Covered||None||Air-conditioning with ductwork Heating with ductwork Electrical Doorbells Smoke detectors Ceiling fans Plumbing (including stoppages) Water Heaters Garbage Disposals Instant H/C Water Dispensers Central Vacuums||Air-conditioning with ductwork Heating with ductwork Electrical Doorbells Smoke detectors Ceiling fans Plumbing (including stoppages) Water Heaters Garbage Disposals Instant H/C Water Dispensers Central Vacuums||*all options available for customized plan|
Who is this best for?
Due to the high customization, the company offers in its warranties, American Home Shield works best for homeowners who want to have more control over which home appliances and systems will be covered under their personal plan. The plans offered by American Home Shield are straightforward and transparent, and the company’s sample contract should help to clear up questions.
- Customizable plans make American Home Shield a solid choice for people who need a policy that does not conform to any preexisting plans offered on the market. With four flexible plans, every homeowner should be able to find a plan that works for them.
- Company longevity offers a little extra reassurance that the American Home Shield will be around long enough to settle any claims that occur. It also lays claim that it started the concept of home warranties in the first place.
- Service fee options give homeowners more freedom for how they want their plan to work. If the homeowner chooses a plan with a higher service fee, then the plan will have a lower monthly payment—and vice versa.
- No inspection required means that the homeowner can sign up for an American Home Shield home warranty without worrying over a home inspection first, which gives homeowners an easier experience starting out.
- Lack of monthly pricing information makes it more difficult for people to find out how much the plan will cost every month. Homeowners will need to get a quote before they know what the monthly cost will be after signing up.
- Short workmanship guarantee means that repairs covered by the plan will only be guaranteed for 30 days. Considering that many other companies selling home warranties offer workmanship guarantees for 90 or 180 days, American Home Shield falls short of the competition in this area.
|American Home Shield||Cinch Home Warranty||Complete Protection||AFC Home Club|
|$75, $100, or $125||$100, $125, or $150||$0||$75, $100 or $125|
|30 days||180 days||None||guaranteed until contract ends|
|Four plans offered Online portal available||Three plans offered Online portal available||Four plans offered No online portal||Four plans offered No online portal|
All information accurate as of 02/07/2020.
AHS compared to Cinch
American Home Shield and Cinch (now Cinch Home Services) are fairly comparable in terms of what is offered in the plans. However, one big difference is customization. American Home Shield offers plans that can be customized to virtually anything a homeowner wants, while Cinch Home Services requires you to stick to the plans the company offers.
Cinch Home Services definitely wins in the category of workmanship guarantees. Cinch offers a 180-day guarantee with its plans, which is significantly more than the length of time that American Home Shield offers under its own plans. American Home Shield does offer lower service fees, which somewhat makes up for its short guarantees. So if something breaks down after American Home Shield’s 30-day guarantee is up, at least it will be less expensive to have someone come out again.
Due to the difference in cost by location, it’s a good idea to get quotes from both companies to see which one will work best for your area.
AHS compared to Complete Protection
American Home Shield and Complete Protection offer very different kinds of home warranties. With American Home Shield, people signing up can expect plans that are traditionally structured—meaning the plans come with a contract, a service fee, and a workmanship guarantee. Complete Protection offers a separate take on home warranties that is less traditional than American Home Shield’s plans.
With Complete Protection home warranties, homeowners don’t have to worry about contracts or service fees. Complete Protection offers cancellation anytime, with some refunds available depending on the company’s prorating formula. Complete Protection also has quite a few restrictions on what its home warranties cover, so it’s a good idea to make sure that the home appliances and system that you want to be covered will be available under the plan.
Choosing between American Home Shield and Complete Protection largely depends on what kind of home warranty fits in with your lifestyle and how you want your appliances and systems covered.
The Bottom Line
The high level of customization that American Home Shield offers in its plans makes this company a sound choice for homeowners who might have unusual home warranty needs and are looking to create individualized plans. However, for anyone who wants a long workmanship guarantee, American Home Shield is probably not the right plan, as there are plenty of competitors with longer guarantees. Ultimately, the best choice will rest with the needs of the homeowner and what they want out of their home warranty.