We recommend products and services based on unbiased research from our editorial team. We make money via affiliate links, which means if you click a link on our site, we may earn a commission. Any commissions we receive do not affect our recommendations; if you want to know more about how that works, read more.
Founded in 1922, State Farm is no stranger to insurance products and continues to offer a wide range of coverage choices. State Farm also happens to be the largest provider of auto insurance in the U.S., according to the 2018 S&P Global Market Intelligence report.Our State Farm car insurance review reveals a highly rated company when it comes to finances among the top 5 of the 2019 JD Power Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. State Farm auto insurance uses a nationwide network of almost 19,000 agents, an intuitive website, and a mobile app, making it accessible to practically everyone across the country.
- In business since: 1922
- J.D. Power 2019: 3 out of 5 Power Circles3 out of 5 Power Circles
- AM Best Financial strength: A++
- BBB rating: A
State Farm Car Insurance Review
State Farm is above the average in the amount of customer complaints filed against the provider through the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
- Extensive customer service network. There are multiple options available to help you with a claim or questions, whether it’s one of the 19,000 nationwide agents or the many customer service representatives.
- Rideshare coverage available. Do you have a side gig offering a rideshare service with your own car? State Farm auto insurance offers additional coverage for those who are part of a rideshare company, like Uber and Lyft. If it’s available in your state, the personal auto policy covers liability to others, damage to your own car, and emergency roadside assistance.
- Multiple discount options. Although not always the least expensive in premiums, State Farm auto insurance offers a wide selection of discounts on your premiums. You can get discounts for everything from good driving to multiple car policies.
- Car rental coverage. If your vehicle is out of commission and it’s covered by comprehensive or collision, State Farm will cover your expenses for a rental car. There are even options to pay the car rental company directly so you don’t have to worry about the transaction.
- Average ratings with customer complaints. Although not the worst, State Farm falls in the median range on the NAIC complaint index.
- Not the least expensive. State Farm isn’t the cheapest option (nor most expensive option) when it comes to your premium costs. Although multiple discounts are available through State Farm, you might not be getting the lowest priced premiums if low-cost is what you’re after.
State Farm’s Full Coverage Average Premium In Each State
Data Source: Coverage.com
- Car rental and travel expenses
- Uninsured motor vehicle
- Underinsured motor vehicle
- Medical payments
- Emergency roadside
- Rideshare driver
- Teen drivers
- Antique and classic car
- Sports cars
- Commercial auto
- Defensive-Driving Course
- Student Away at School
- Good Driving
- Driver Training
- Good Student
- Vehicle Safety
- Passive Restraint
- Multiple Auto
- Multiple Line (or Policy)
- Drive Safe & Save™
- Stear Clear® for drivers under 25
Extensive Coverage Options
State Farm auto insurance offers a variety of auto insurance options, from teen drivers to sports cars and practically everything in between. It’s hard to beat State Farm’s considerable coverage options.
Fast Claims Process
State Farm makes it easy for you to file a claim online, through the app, or by calling a customer service representative. In addition to starting a claim digitally, you can also track your claim through the web or app so you know exactly what’s going on with your case.
Drive Safe & Save Discount
You can save up to 30% on your premiums if you enroll in the Drive Safe & Save Discount program. The app connects to your Bluetooth and provides feedback based on your vehicle braking, speeding, distracted driving, and cornering. You’ll be rewarded through additional discounts if you qualify.
The Bottom Line
State Farm auto insurance is a top contender when it comes to choices for your auto coverage. The strong financial ratings and extensive customer service options make it worth considering for almost any auto coverage situation.
State Farm is ideal for those who want to tailor their insurance needs to their unique driving situation, such as car rental coverage or rideshare driver options. While State Farm auto insurance might not be the least expensive option, it offers a wide range of discounts, ranging from good driving to having multiple policies.
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||J.D. Power 2019 Claims Satisfaction Study||24/7 Claims Support|
All information accurate as of June 19, 2020.
State Farm vs. Progressive
Like State Farm, Progressive offers a variety of discounts and coverage options. Similar to the Drive Safe & Safe App, Progressive offers the Snapshot to help you qualify for further discounts. Progressive also lets you get quotes, file a claim, and track your case progress online, through the app, or by working with one of the 38,000 local auto insurance agents.
Where State Farm and Progressive differ is with customer satisfaction rankings. Progressive earned a less-than-impressive 856/1,000 for the 2019 JD Power U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, compared to State Farm’s 878/1,000.
State Farm vs. Nationwide
Like State Farm, Nationwide is a large insurance provider and offers a complete lineup of coverage for collision, personal injury, medical payments, and beyond.
One difference is that Nationwide offers gap insurance, which covers the cost of what you owe on a vehicle if it’s totaled in an accident. Nationwide also performs much better with the NAIC customer complaint registrations compared to State Farm’s numerous entries.
State Farm Car Insurance FAQ
State Farm offers many other types of insurance, including options for homeowners, renters, life, health, disability, and liability. There’s even pet insurance for your furry children. Don’t forget to ask about a multi-policy discount if you bundle your auto insurance with another State Farm offering.
The 12-month average premium for State Farm car insurance is around $1,321. Many factors influence the cost of insurance including where you live, your driving record, and the extent of your coverage needs, so your actual cost will differ from the average.
To understand how much car insurance coverage you need, evaluate your personal liability needs, as well as how much of a deductible you are willing to carry. Make sure you have the right financial coverage to protect your finances as well as anyone involved in an accident with you.
State Farm auto insurance coverage is available in all 50 states and Washington D.C.
State Farm auto insurance offers extensive coverage including collision, comprehensive, liability, uninsured motorists, and medical payments. You can tailor the policy to fit your needs with options such as roadside assistance, rideshare driver, and other special situations.