- Reviews.com scores Liberty Mutual car insurance a 4.2 out of 5 based on discounts, customer satisfaction, and more.
- Liberty Mutual offers over a dozen discounts to drivers.
- While Liberty Mutual has average customer satisfaction scores, it offers attractive coverage add-ons.
As one of the longest-standing private insurers, Liberty Mutual car insurance is a trusted household name among motorists across the nation. Based in Boston, Massachusetts, Liberty Mutual has been in business since 1912 and offers not only a wide variety of coverage options and discounts, but also helpful tools and services to manage policies and file claims. Our Liberty Mutual car insurance review is based on pricing, features, customer support, and overall satisfaction scores.
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Overview
Though it may not be exceptional in the market, Liberty insurance has a stable financial position as validated by an AM Best rating of A, which indicates its ability to pay out claims. In the past, the company has won several accolades for being one of the best employers, workplace diversity and equality, and for being a corporate philanthropist. Although the company’s average score in J.D. Power’s overall customer satisfaction study is lower than some of its competitors, Liberty Mutual is available nationwide and offers several lines of insurance products to choose from.
- Plenty of features: Liberty Mutual has three types of standard car insurance coverage, and you can customize a policy with any of the additional 12 options.
- Notable discounts: From signing up online to participating in a safe driver program, Liberty Mutual customers can save up to 40% on the annual premium with the discounts.
- Deductible fund: By contributing a mere $30 annually to a deductible fund, you can have your deductible reduced by $100 for each year you don’t use the coverage.
- Online tools: With the convenient website and mobile app, managing your policy and submitting claims become quick and hassle-free.
- Average customer satisfaction score: In J.D. Power’s auto insurance study, Liberty Mutual insurance reviews are slightly below average in customer satisfaction scale.
- Higher than average complaints: On NAIC’s complaint index, the company scores 2.76 for its private passenger lines, more than twice the average complaint index as expected in the auto insurance market.
- Limited availability of discounts: Although Liberty Mutual offers multiple discounts, not all of them are available in every state. This might make it hard for people in different locations to have the same savings.
Liberty Mutual Highlights
Liberty Mutual offers the standard coverages that a motorist might need, plus optional add-ons for drivers to customize their policies. Some unique features include new car replacement coverage, which covers the actual value of a new vehicle if it is totaled within the first year, better car replacement coverage, which pays to buy you a newer model than the one totaled, and teachers insurance, which protects the vehicle on school premises. Here’s what Liberty Mutual car insurance can cover:
- Bodily injury
- Property damage coverage
- Medical payments
- Collision/Comprehensive coverage
- Personal injury protection
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection
- Diminishing deductible
- Lifetime repair guarantee
- New car replacement
- Better car replacement
- Teachers car insurance
- Roadside assistance
- Rental reimbursement
- Gap insurance
- Original parts coverage
Liberty Mutual reviews indicate average scores on the customer experience front. According to the online customer reviews, the claims filing process can be difficult to navigate and the customer support is not always helpful. However, do keep in mind that for a company of this size, it is not unusual to have a high number of complaints, since the customer pool is also large.
Customers are rewarded with discounts at every step. By simply using online registration instead of the phone you can save at least 12% on your annual premium. Enrolling in the RightTrack program can get you up to 30% discount by practicing safe driving habits. Other discounts are for homeowners, good students, being accident-free and more. Notable add-ons include GAP insurance, rental reimbursement, and 24/7 roadside assistance. Here are advertised Liberty Mutual car insurance discounts:
- Early Shopper
- Good Student
- Alternative Energy
- Advanced Safety Features
- Anti-Theft Device
- Violation Free
- Online Purchase
- Paperless Policy
Round-the-clock claims filing is offered by Liberty Mutual. Customers can either call a representative at 1-844-629-8984, use online chat or the mobile app to submit a claim. Through the mobile app, it is also possible to send pictures of the damage and get an estimate. Once a claim is submitted, you can track the progress online or through the app.
Liberty Mutual vs. The Competition
|Provider||Reviews.com Score||AM Best||J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction*||No. of Discounts|
Information accurate as of September 2021.
Liberty Mutual vs. Geico
At first glance, Geico and Liberty Mutual seem to have nearly the same number of discounts, but the former has certain discounts not offered by Liberty Mutual auto insurance, such as new vehicle discount, defensive driving discount, emergency deployment discount, federal employee discount and senior discount. Supplemental coverages such as rideshare insurance and mechanical breakdown insurance are offered by Geico, and the company also has ratings by J.D. Power and AM Best superior to those of Liberty Mutual.
Liberty Mutual vs. State Farm
Both Liberty Mutual and State Farm offer the same types of coverages barring only rideshare insurance. However, the latter offers only 11 discounts while Liberty Mutual insurance has 17 of them. Passive restraint and driver training discounts are among those not offered by Liberty Mutual.
Furthermore, State Farm has a higher customer satisfaction rating by J.D. Power, 947 compared to Liberty Mutuals 827.
Liberty Mutual vs. Progressive
Although Progressive has much fewer coverages and discounts compared to Liberty Mutual auto insurance, it does have certain features not offered by the latter. Among them are continuous insurance discounts, rideshare coverage, teen driver discount, and the signature Name Your Price® Tool. Like Liberty Mutual and State Farm, Progressive beats out the former in both customer satisfaction and financial strength ratings from J.D. Power and AM Best.
Liberty Mutual FAQ
With a wide range of coverage options and discounts, Liberty Mutual can certainly be counted amongst the largest insurers in the country. However, car insurance is highly personal and what works for one person may not work for another, so you must do your own research.
Getting in touch with customer support can be done in three ways: Liberty Mutual’s 24/7 toll-free helpline, online chat, or through the mobile app.
While both companies offer the same kind of coverage, Geico has fewer discounts, but much higher third-party ratings, and lower costs. When it comes to deciding which company is better for your situation, getting quotes based on your personal history and individual coverage needs can help you decide if Liberty Mutual or Geico is the better car insurer.
In the 2020 J.D. Power Auto Claims Satisfaction study, Liberty Mutual earned 867 out of a possible 1,000 points for customer satisfaction. With an average rating of 872, Liberty Mutual is slightly below average when it comes to customer satisfaction. However, the auto insurer has an A financial rating with AM Best, showing its superior financial holdings offer the ability to meet their obligations, including paying claims.
We evaluated Liberty Mutual based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.