- Reviews.com scores Geico car insurance a 4.6 out of 5, based on discounts, financial stability, and customer satisfaction.
- Geico is rated A++ by AM Best and No. 1 for insurance purchase experience by J.D. Power.
- Geico is considered an affordable car insurance company due to its wide variety of discounts available.
Geico began as Government Employees Insurance Corporation, offering auto insurance to government employees and military members. In business since 1936 and headquartered in Texas, Geico is now the second largest car insurer in the nation, offering quotes and claims online or over the phone.
The insurance company is widely known for the Geico gecko commercials, with the tagline, “15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance.” With one of the best mobile apps and an easy-to-navigate website. Geico offers competitively low rates for auto, home, business, life insurance, and more in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
Geico Car Insurance Overview
Geico has the highest rating available with AM Best (A++), which proves its financial strength and ability to pay claims, and is the reason people pay for car insurance. The auto insurance company is ranked No. 1 for large insurers for purchase experience on the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study.
Geico is also rated above average in all regions for customer satisfaction on J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study, ranking #1 in the North Central, Northwest and Southwest regions. However, Geico fell short with one point below average on J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
- High rankings for customer service: Geico has consistently high ratings across third-party sources for exemplary customer service.
- Voted best app and website: Several agencies have awarded Geico best mobile app and website over the past several years.
- Variety of discounts: Affordability is one reason people choose Geico, with a high number of discounts compared to competitors.
- Available across the nation: Geico offers auto and other insurance products in all 50 states plus Washington, D.C.
- Below average claims satisfaction: Ratings with J.D. Power and NAIC show below average claims satisfaction and higher-than-average customer complaints.
- No dedicated agents: If you prefer working with a personal agent, you won’t find that amenity at Geico.
- Few add-on coverage: Geico only offers three optional coverage beyond the standard auto insurance coverage.
- Not best for high-risk drivers: Though Geico offers cheap rates for bad credit, it’s not the best for high-risk drivers.
Geico Car Insurance Highlights
Geico offers standard car insurance coverage such as liability, medical payments, personal injury protection, uninsured/underinsured motorist, comprehensive, and collision. Car car insurance also offers optional coverage for emergency road service, mechanical breakdown, and rental car reimbursement. Geico also offers coverage for people traveling to Mexico or who own a classic car.
J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. auto insurance studies place Geico at the top for best customer service. Geico’s website has an average customer rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars, with 89% of customers recommending it, while Trustpilot rates Geico as average after 14 reviews. Customers state poor claims experience, price increases, and long hold times with hang-ups as reasons for poor scores.
Out of all competitor comparisons, Geico has the highest number of available discounts, helping to keep rates low for customers who can stack discounts together.
Add-on coverage includes roadside assistance, coverage for newer cars with certain mechanical breakdowns, and rental car reimbursement coverage, which helps pay for a rental car if the vehicle is the shop for a covered claim.
The claims experience is where Geico struggles, even with the option to file online, over the phone or through the app 24/7. The company has a just below average rating with J.D. Power and also has a higher-than-average complaint index with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The average for the car insurance industry is 1.00 but Geico’s index is 1.41, showing the company gets more than average complaints for the market.
Geico Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Reviews.com Score Score is based on company’s customer experience, financial stability, and coverage options.||J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction J.D. Power scores are based on surveys for customer satisfaction and product quality.||AM Best AM Best rates insurance providers creditworthiness. Ratings are based on the provider’s ability to follow through with a payout when a consumer files a claim.||No. of Discounts|
|Pin State Farm||4.6||838||A++||13|
Information accurate as of April 2021
Geico vs. Allstate
Allstate has just 11 discounts available for car insurance, the lowest of the competitors, while Geico has 16 discounts. While Allstate struggles in the J.D. Power Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study with only one high ranking score, Geico has the highest score in three regions. Coverage options are almost identical, though Allstate offers additional coverage for installed sound systems. As for claims satisfaction, Allstate scored higher with 876 compared to Geico’s 871 on the 2020 J.D. Power Study.
Geico vs. Auto-Owners
Auto-Owners only has 13 discount options compared to Geico’s 16, but it makes up for it in coverage. Options include common loss deductible, diminished value, and personal automobile plus package, which provides 10 additional coverage options. Auto-Owners has the same superior financial ratings as Geico, A++ by AM Best. However, Auto-Owners also beats Geico in customer satisfaction with a score of 847 compared to Geico’s 843.
Geico vs. State Farm
State Farm offers the same superior financial rating as Geico, but falls short with just 13 available discounts compared to Geico’s 16. However, State Farm offers two options for safe driving rewards programs whereas Geico has none. State Farm also has five fewer points than Geico for customer satisfaction, though State Farm’s 881 points exceeds Geico’s claims satisfaction score of 871 points.
Geico Car Insurance FAQ
There are a number of ways to contact Geico. Log in online, use the Geico mobile app, call 800-424-3426 for customer service or 800-841-3000 for claims.
We evaluated Geico based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2020 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverage beyond the body liability, property liability, collision and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.