- Reviews.com awards Nationwide auto insurance with a 4 out of 5 based on coverage options, financial strength ratings, discounts, and more.
- On average, Nationwide car insurance costs an average of $1,481 per year in the U.S.
- Drivers can earn up to 40% off premiums when enrolled in usage-based SmartRide.
Choosing an auto insurance company can be overwhelming when you look at the number of providers available. Nationwide auto insurance is one of the largest and most popular providers of vehicle insurance. Founded in 1925, Nationwide has been selling insurance policies for almost 100 years and earned a spot on FORTUNE’s 100 Best Companies to Work For list the past seven years.
We reviewed Nationwide’s customer ratings, financial stability, availability of coverage by area, discounts and vehicle coverage options for a complete review of Nationwide’s biggest strengths — and where it may fall short.
Nationwide’s Full Coverage Average Premium In Each State
Data Source: Coverage.com
Nationwide Car Insurance Overview
Policyholders in the Southeast and Mid Atlantic regions rate Nationwide well in J.D. Power’s customer satisfaction study, earning Nationwide an average score of 815 out of 1,000 across all regions. Nationwide also offers innovative ways to save, such as bundling Nationwide home and auto insurance or by signing up for SmartMiles, a flexible way to pay less for driving fewer miles each month. However, contrary to its name, Nationwide is not available in every state.
Besides providing the level of car insurance required in each state it serves, drivers can opt for extras to reduce your vehicle coverage expense. Vanishing Deductible reduces your deductible for every year without a claim and Total Loss Deductible Waiver waives the deductible if your vehicle is declared a total loss.
- Feature-packed website and mobile app Customers can manage quotes, claims and billing online or on mobile.
- Vanishing deductible Nationwide lowers the deductible for every year without a claim.
- On Your Side Drivers receive an annual On Your Side review of policies for free.
- SmartRide Opt for the usage-based program to get up to 40% off your car insurance.
- Customer service Received lower-than-average customer ratings in the J.D. Power customer satisfaction study.
- Availability Nationwide car insurance is not available in all states.
- Banking Nationwide no longer integrates banking services with its insurance products.
- NAIC complaint index NAIC indexed Nationwide’s customer complaints at 2.10, well over the average of 1.
Nationwide Auto Insurance Highlights
Drivers can find the standard fare of coverages to ensure they’re legally covered to drive in the states Nationwide car insurance is offered, such as property damage and bodily injury liability, medical payments, PIP, uninsured/underinsured motorist.
However, the minimum amount of coverage required by the state may not be enough coverage based on your personal financial situation. You may want to increase the limits or add comprehensive and collision insurance to include reimbursement for your vehicle.
Although Nationwide auto insurance reviews are mainly positive, its J.D. Power 2020 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study average rating is 814, slightly below the average of other car insurance carriers. However, J.D. Power scores Nationwide 876 out of 1,000 in its 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, which is above the average of 872.
As far as customer complaints, the NAIC indicates that Nationwide has more customer complaints than average, with a rating of 2.10.
Nationwide offers 10 types of discounts including:
- Defensive driving
- Good student
- Safe driver
Add-ons include comprehensive and collision coverage, rental car expense, gap insurance and towing and labor coverage. If you drive a new vehicle, you may want to select full coverage, which includes comprehensive and collision insurance to pay for damages to your vehicle.
Although a car insurance claim could raise your premiums, the purpose of insurance is to be there when you have to outlay money after an at-fault accident. You can file a claim in several ways. Contact your agent, call 1-800-421-3535, sign in online or start the process or file a claim directly from the Nationwide smartphone app.
Nationwide’s Car Insurance Bundling Discounts for Cheaper Insurance
According to data from the NAIC, Nationwide sells nearly twice more homeowners insurance than vehicle coverage. Based on its strengths in both types of insurance, bundling Nationwide home and auto insurance could provide you with cheap coverage across the board while simplifying your insurance needs. Nationwide claims policyholders who bundle end up saving an average of $646 per year. However, getting a Nationwide car insurance quote is the best way to find out how much you may save when buying both types of insurance with the carrier.
Nationwide Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Reviews.com Score Score is based on company’s customer experience, financial stability, and coverage options.||A.M. Best AM Best rates insurance providers creditworthiness. Ratings are based on the provider’s ability to follow through with a payout when a consumer files a claim.||J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction J.D. Power scores are based on surveys for customer satisfaction and product quality.||No. of Discounts|
|Pin State Farm||5||A++||847*||13|
Information accurate as of May 2021
*J.D. Power 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study average rating across all regions. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
Nationwide vs. Progressive
Nationwide and Progressive have a similar approach to car insurance by providing ways to reduce deductibles in case of a claim and scoring similarly in customer satisfaction from J.D. Power. With both carriers, customers can file claims over the phone, online or through the mobile app. However, ProgressiveiInsurance beats Nationwide in the number of discounts available. Furthermore, families with teen drivers will find more discounts geared toward new drivers with Progressive.
Nationwide vs. State Farm
State Farm is stronger when it comes to customer ratings and financial strength. The carrier also has a large network of offices and State Farm agents nationwide for local servicing of your insurance policy. However, Nationwide does provide customers with a free annual On Your Side review. If having to choose between Nationwide and State Farm, the decision may come down to which carrier returns the lowest quote for coverage.
Nationwide vs. Geico
Both Nationwide and Geico are well-known for low-cost car insurance. Geico beats Nationwide when it comes to the number of discounts available, with 16 compared to Nationwide’s 10. However, Nationwide’s home insurance package is popular, which is ideal for homeowners looking to purchase both car and vehicle insurance from one carrier.
Nationwide Car Insurance FAQ
Nationwide receives an A+ in financial strength from AM Best. As far as customer satisfaction and complaint ratings, Nationwide’s score from J.D. Power’s annual study is 814 out of 1,000 and 1.48 (above average) for complaints from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Nationwide auto insurance has been in business since 1926 and provides the minimum amount of coverage in each state it services, as well as full car insurance for newer cars. Nationwide reviews from customers are mostly positive, making the carrier a good option for car insurance.
Nationwide and State Farm are two of the largest insurance companies in the country, with a long history of providing home and auto insurance. The best way to determine which carrier is better is by getting online quotes from both to compare rates and coverage options.
We evaluated Nationwide auto insurance based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.