We recommend products and services based on unbiased research from our editorial team. We make money via affiliate links, which means if you click a link on our site, we may earn a commission. Any commissions we receive do not affect our recommendations; if you want to know more about how that works, read more.
- The Hartford is ranked among the top companies for home and auto insurance claim satisfaction.
- Car insurance and home insurance policies are only available to AARP members.
- The Hartford sells life insurance through employers as group life insurance.
The Hartford Insurance was founded in 1810 and was originally established as a fire insurance provider. Almost a century later in 1913, the company began insuring vehicles and property against a wider range of perils. Today, The Hartford offers a variety of different insurance products, including auto, home and group life insurance. While the company has excellent third-party ratings, you can only purchase car and homeowners insurance through The Hartford if you are a member of AARP.
The Hartford Insurance Overview
|J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Score*
|AM Best Financial Strength
The Hartford Auto Insurance
The Hartford sells standard car insurance and classic car insurance to drivers in all 50 states. However, you must be an AARP member in order to purchase a policy. The company offers a number of different coverage options, which makes it a good option for drivers who want to personalize their policy with endorsements. The Hartford also stands out for its impressive list of car insurance discounts that can help some drivers get a lower rate.
- Strengths: The Hartford auto insurance is a good option for drivers who are looking for extensive endorsements. You could purchase a number of add-ons, like full glass coverage, new car replacement coverage and accident forgiveness, and every policy comes with a lifetime car repair assurance guarantee.
- Restrictions: The Hartford operates in all 50 states. However, you must be an AARP member in order to purchase a policy. To join AARP, you must be at least 50 years old and pay an annual membership fee.
- Discounts: Drivers who prioritize an affordable auto insurance premium may want to look into The Hartford’s discounts. There are savings for hybrids, paying your premium in full, bundling your policies and more.
The Hartford Home Insurance
The Hartford home insurance is robust. The company offers an impressive number of endorsements, including a variety of unique coverage options you will not find from many other providers. The biggest downside to The Hartford is that you must be an AARP member in order to buy homeowners insurance. So, if you are a 30-year-old homeowner who just purchased their first house, this company may be a better option for later on in your life.
- Strengths: The Hartford home insurance has excellent add-on coverage types. The company sells identity fraud coverage, reimbursement for lock replacement, equipment breakdown coverage, a disappearing deductible, green rebuilding coverage, water backup coverage and many other options.
- Restrictions: Homeowners insurance from The Hartford is only available to AARP members. If you belong to AARP, you can get home insurance coverage from The Hartford in all 50 states.
- Discounts: The Hartford’s home insurance discounts are fairly standard. You could save money by installing a home security system, bundling your home and auto policies, being claim-free, installing a fire protection device in your home and being a retired homeowner who works less than 24 hours per week.
The Hartford Life Insurance
The Hartford life insurance is not available for individual purchase. You can only get The Hartford life insurance if your employer offers it as voluntary coverage. Employees may be able to obtain up to $250,000 in term life coverage and $15,000 in child coverage. Unlike the company’s car and home insurance policies, you do not need to be an AARP member in order to get life insurance from The Hartford.
- Strengths: The Hartford’s life insurance policies come with a variety of unique perks, including funeral planning services, beneficiary counseling services, EstateGuidance will services and travel assistance/identity theft protection.
- Restrictions: Life insurance from The Hartford is only sold through select employers as voluntary coverage. You cannot purchase The Hartford life insurance as an individual looking for a private policy. Also, as is standard with employer-sponsored coverage, the only policy available is term life insurance.