- Reviews.com scores Allstate auto insurance a 4.2 out of 5, based on financial strength, online resources and coverage.
- Allstate has superior financial strength, giving consumers confidence that claims will be paid in full.
- Allstate received average rankings for purchase experience and overall auto insurance satisfaction, but above average rankings for claims satisfaction in J.D. Power 2020 studies.
Allstate auto insurance began in 1931 under Sears, Roebuck & Co. chairman Robert E. Wood. In 1939, Allstate was the first car insurance company to base quote rates on age, mileage, and usage. The industry followed suit and now, Allstate is the fourth largest car insurer in the country.
With a wide range of coverages and a decent package of discounts, Allstate offers reliable coverage backed by positive customer ratings. Allstate has above average ranking for claims customer satisfaction, offering a Claim Satisfaction Guarantee in 43 states. Allstate offers multiple ways to file a claim 24/7 and uses local agents, which is becoming rare in the auto insurance industry.
Allstate’s Full Coverage Average Premiums in the U.S.
Data Source: Coverage.com
Allstate Car Insurance Overview
According to YouGov, Allstate is the sixth most popular insurance brand, with 45% of respondents giving the company a positive opinion. Allstate also received Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies award in 2020, with multiple awards received in recent years for inclusive diversity and innovation.
In 13 states, Allstate offers pay-as-you-drive insurance and telematics programs, which can reduce annual premiums based on mileage and driving habits. Allstate received rankings two points below average in J.D. Power 2020 studies for purchase experience and overall customer satisfaction. With an above average claims satisfaction ranking, Allstate seems to live up to its Claim Satisfaction Guaranteed, offered in select states.
- Bundle with home for savings: Customers can save up to 25% on home and auto by bundling both policies with Allstate.
- Telematics savings programs: Allstate’s Drivewise and Milewise programs let drivers prove mileage and good driving habits to save on auto insurance.
- Dedicated local agents: Drivers can get personalized customer service from expert local Allstate agents in addition to online quotes.
- Above-average claims satisfaction: Allstate has ratings for claims satisfaction by J.D. Power, and a Claim Satisfaction Guarantee program offered in 43 states.
- Fewer discounts: Of all competitors, Allstate has the least amount of available discounts on car insurance.
- High industry complaint index: Allstate has received twice as many complaints compared to similarly sized competitors in 2020.
- Not available in all states: Not all coverages are available in all states, including rideshare insurance.
- Below average customer satisfaction: Scores from J.D. Power 2020 studies are below average for purchase experience and customer satisfaction.
Allstate Car Insurance Highlights
Drivers can find standard car insurance coverage with Allstate, including collision, comprehensive, liability, medical payments, uninsured and underinsured motorist, and personal injury protection. Limits and deductibles can be chosen to meet state requirements and specific budget. Allstate also offers specialty insurance for classic cars and drivers traveling to Mexico, which isn’t always offered by major auto insurers.
In most regions, Allstate is rated average or below the average in the J.D. Power Auto Insurance Study, though Allstate is No.1 for customer satisfaction in Florida. As for purchase experience, Allstate is two points below average in the J.D. Power Insurance Shopping Study, and has 1,342 complaints with the BBB, with most being product or service complaints and billing issues.
Like many carriers, Allstate offers stackable discounts to lower premiums for auto insurance. Discounts from Allstate include the following:
- Paperless billing
- Early signing
- Multi-policy and vehicles
- Smart student
- New car
- Pay in full
- Anti-lock brakes
- Anti-theft devices
Additionally, Allstate drivers can purchase add-on coverage for rideshare, sound systems, personal liability umbrella, roadside assistance, and rental car reimbursement.
Allstate customers have the option to file claims online, over the phone, or through the Allstate mobile app. Once filed, drivers can track their claims on the app or online. Most of the complaints filed against Allstate with the Better Business Bureau reference poor claims experience. This is reflected in the NAIC complaint index for Allstate’s insurance products, which is 1.97, nearly twice the expected complaint ratio for the industry. However, J.D. Power rates Allstate above-average for auto claims satisfaction.
Allstate Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Reviews.com Score||J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction J.D. Power scores are based on surveys for customer satisfaction and product quality.||AM Best AM Best rates insurance providers creditworthiness. Ratings are based on the provider’s ability to follow through with a payout when a consumer files a claim.||No. of Discounts|
|Pin State Farm||4.6||838||A++||13|
Information accurate as of April 2021 *J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study average rating across all regions. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
Allstate vs. Auto-Owners
While Allstate only offers 11 discount options for car insurance, Auto-Owners offers 13. Auto-Owners also has above average scores for customer satisfaction, with 847 points compared to Allstate’s 825 in J.D. Power’s study. However, both companies offer superior financial strength to pay claims, though Auto-Owners J.D. Power score for claims satisfaction beats Allstate with 890 points vs. Allstate’s 876 points.
Allstate vs. Geico
Geico beats all the competitors by offering 16 discounts on auto insurance, with Allstate having the least with 11 discounts. Though Geico beats Allstate’s customer satisfaction score by 18 points, Allstate’s ranking for claims satisfaction is higher by five points. Geico leads in purchase experience as the No. 1 large insurer while Allstate trails behind with two points below the average score. Geico also beats Allstate in overall customer satisfaction in all regions except for Florida, where Allstate is ranked No. 1.
Allstate vs. State Farm
Allstate and State Farm are very close in ranking scores on the J.D. Power 2020 studies, with State Farm having higher scores for overall customer satisfaction in seven of the 11 regional studies. However, State Farm offers 13 discount options for drivers while Allstate only offers 11. Allstate offers pay-per-mile insurance but State Farm only offers a discount for low mileage drivers. Both Allstate and State Farm offer local agents, which are not an option with the other competitors.
Allstate Car Insurance FAQ
Allstate has a superior rating with AM Best, which is the best available. This means that when claims need to be paid, Allstate has the funds to pay on time and in full.
We evaluated Allstate based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2020 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.