- Erie Insurance is available in 12 states and Washington, D.C.
- Erie’s auto and home insurance claims satisfaction is highly rated by J.D. Power, earning the company an above-average rating.
- Erie provides a wide range of insurance products, including auto, home, life, and business insurance.
Erie Insurance, founded in 1925, is a regional insurance provider selling coverage in 12 states and Washington, D.C. Although Erie’s reach is limited, the company may be a good choice for those with access to its products. Erie generally receives high customer satisfaction scores and has a history of strong financial stability.
Erie Insurance Overview
|J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Score*
|AM Best Financial Strength
Erie Auto Insurance
Erie auto insurance is available in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Washington, D.C. Erie’s auto insurance policy is robust, with perks like pet coverage, personal item coverage, and glass repair coverage available. Erie also ranks highly in the J.D. Power 2021 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, earning the second-highest official score. In fact, we chose Erie as one of the best car insurance companies, despite its regional nature. Erie also sells insurance for motorcycles, RVs, boats, classic cars, ATVs, snowmobiles, and golf carts.
However, Erie has limited availability; if you live outside of the 12 states it serves or Washington, D.C., you won’t be able to purchase Erie auto insurance. The company also lacks digital tools; the online customer portal may not be as robust as the websites of Erie’s competitors. To service your policy with Erie, it may be best to contact your local agent.
- Strengths: High claims satisfaction, superior AM Best financial strength, numerous optional coverage types available, Erie Rate Lock may help keep your premiums steady
- Restrictions: Fewer digital tools than many companies, only available in 12 states and Washington, D.C.
- Discounts: Safe driving, car safety equipment, multi-car, multi-policy, reduced usage, young drivers, annual payment plan
Erie Home Insurance
Erie also made our list of best home insurance companies, even though the company still has limited availability for its property insurance. Erie scores highly with J.D. Power for home claims service and offers a host of optional coverage types to help you customize your policy. You may opt for water backup coverage, service line coverage, or identity recovery coverage to bolster your financial protection. Additionally, Erie offers guaranteed replacement cost for dwellings. Restrictions apply, but if you qualify, any claim you file for the structure of your home will be settled based on replacement value rather than the depreciated value. Erie also sells renters, condo, mobile home, personal valuables, and flood insurance.
However, just like its auto insurance, Erie home insurance is only available in 12 states and D.C., and its mobile tools aren’t robust. If you’re looking for a company that offers a more technology-focused experience, Erie may not be for you.
- Strengths: Several optional coverage types available, high claims satisfaction, superior AM Best financial strength
- Restrictions: Fewer digital tools than many companies, only available in 12 states and Washington, D.C., fewer discounts than some competitors
- Discounts: Fire/burglar alarm or sprinkler system, advanced quote, multi-policy
Erie Life Insurance
Although Erie isn’t one of our picks for the best life insurance companies, it may still be a good choice for some. If you already have Erie auto or home insurance, you might find that Erie’s life insurance is a convenient option to keep your policies in one place. Erie life insurance comes in a few different forms: term, whole, universal, and ERIExpress Life, which is a simplified issue life insurance product that can be purchased without a medical exam.
- Strengths: Several types of coverage offered, no-exam option available
- Restrictions: No online quotes, information on riders and add-ons is sparse online, lower financial strength than some competitors