- Reviews.com scored Erie a 4.4 out of 5, based on average cost of a premium, A.M. rating, and J.D. Power score.
- Erie car insurance offers plenty of discounts and programs like Rate Lock to help drivers save on premiums.
- Customers can save up to 25% on premiums when bundling home and auto with Erie insurance.
Founded in 1925, Erie car insurance has operated primarily in the eastern United States for almost a century and pioneered many of the car insurance coverage that is standard today.
Though Erie auto insurance definitely has some competition, it deserves to be considered by anyone shopping for car insurance. Unfortunately, it is only currently available in 12 states and the District of Columbia. However, drivers in its serviced states can find a variety of ways to save through its discounts.
To create an Erie car insurance review, we looked at its J.D. Power score, A.M. Best rating, available discounts, coverage options, and claims process. We also considered Erie auto insurance reviews and complaints with the NAIC to compare it to top car insurance competitors.
Erie Auto Insurance Overview
Erie auto insurance is one of the leading companies in the industry when it comes to customer service. It earned an average of 868 out of 1,000 points across U.S. regions in J.D. Power’s 2021 auto insurance study and it routinely gives scores one of the highest scores in the industry year after year. Though it would be nice to be able to file a claim through the mobile app, customers do not seem to be bothered by the fact that they must speak with an agent when filing a claim.
Erie insurance is also a financially strong company. A.M. Best, an independent financial strength ratings company, gives Erie an A+ (superior) rating, which speaks to its ability to pay out large claims.
- High customer satisfaction Erie received an average score of 862 out of 1,000 with J.D. Power for customer satisfaction.
- Financially strong Received an A+, or superior rating, with A.M. Best for its financial strength. AM Best rated Erie auto insurance A+ (superior), one of the highest ratings available.
- Plenty of discounts Customers have 10 discounts they can use to lower their Erie auto insurance premiums.
- Great for bundling Erie offers some of the biggest savings in the industry for bundling policies.
- Not available nationwide Erie car insurance is only available in 12 states and Washington, D.C.
- Not the cheapest provider Other national companies beat out Erie in price according to data from Coverage.com.
- No mobile claims Drivers cannot file a claim via the app. Customers must call and speak with an agent.
Erie Auto Insurance Highlights
Erie auto insurance offers the following coverage options:
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability
- Personal injury protection
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Collision coverage
Erie auto insurance scored No. 2 in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic regions and No. 1 in the North Central region with J.D. Power in 2021 for its customer satisfaction. Overall, it received an average score of 852 out of 1,000, which is above average when compared to other insurance companies on the market. According to the NAIC, Erie has a low complaint index of 1.1. This indicates that overall, customers are happy with Erie car insurance.
Erie insurance offers the following discounts and endorsement for its customers.
- Air bags
- Anti-lock brake
- Defensive Driving Course
- Driver training
- Good driver
- Multiple Policies
- Multiple Vehicles
- Student away at school
- Diminishing Deductible option
- Erie Rate Lock
- First Accident Forgiveness
To file a claim, Erie customers must either contact a local Erie agent or call directly (Erie offers 24/7 phone support). At the moment, customers cannot file a claim online or over the Erie smartphone app. However, though this is not ideal, the complaint index for Erie is still relatively low.
Erie’s Car Insurance Bundling Discounts for Cheaper Insurance
Erie’s bundling discount is quite significant when compared to other providers. Currently, drivers can save between 16% and 25% when they purchase multiple policies with Erie. Most customers combine auto with either homeowners, life insurance, condo insurance or renters insurance.
The amount saved by bundling with Erie auto insurance depends on which state you are in and if you are taking advantage of other endorsements Erie offers. For example, if you plan on using Erie Rate Lock, you cannot receive a bundling discount with Erie life insurance. Erie offers many types of insurance, so customers can receive the bundling discount by combining it with any other insurance product it offers.
Erie Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Provider||Reviews.com Score||J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction*||AM Best||Discounts|
Information accurate as of July 2021
*J.D. Power 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study average rating across regions. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
Erie vs. State Farm
Both providers have the same amount of discounts available to customers, and both received a superior rating (A+) from A.M. Best. On the surface, these are two very similar companies. However, Erie does edge out State Farm when it comes to customer satisfaction with a 15-point advantage.
Erie vs. Geico
Erie does have a significantly better J.D. Power average score in auto insurance customer satisfaction, earning 862 across the studied regions, compared to Geico’s 833 average score. However, after that, Erie starts to lose out. Geico beats out Erie when it comes to both financial strength — A++ compared to A+ — and discounts.
Erie vs. Auto-Owners
Erie and Auto-Owners are also similar in customer satisfaction, according to J.D. Power. However, Auto-Owners has the advantage when it comes to financial strength and discounts. Auto-Owners offers three more discounts than Erie, and received an A++ for its financial strength where Erie only received an A+.
Erie Auto Insurance FAQ
Erie offers a lot of discounts to its customers, plus it has a few benefits that it awards to its loyal customers. Customers can take advantage of such things as accident forgiveness, vanishing deductible, and rate lock.
Depending on which part of the country you are in, Geico has a slight advantage when it comes to customer service. However, both have a similar amount of discounts. Definitely compare rates and discounts, especially if you have a severe traffic violation on your driving record.
We evaluated Erie car insurance based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength, and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision, and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more