- Reviews.com scores MetLife with a 3.8 out of 5, based on financial strength, customer reviews, and coverage options.
- MetLife auto insurance is a good option for group workplace and affiliation discounts.
- Gap and new car replacement options are ideal for new vehicle owners.
MetLife auto insurance may be a good option if you are in search of unique coverage, such as car parts replacement that pays for brakes, tires, or batteries. Getting insurance through a group or by using an affiliate discount (such as through the American Federation of Teachers) may be the best way to save on MetLife’s vehicle insurance products. The carrier operates in all states but coverage may vary based on your location. It is important to note that Farmers Insurance recently acquired the MetLife car insurance division and will manage the casualty end of its auto, home, and property coverage.
Metlife’s Full Coverage Average Premium In Each State
Data Source: Coverage.com
Metlife Car Insurance Overview
MetLife auto insurance reviews from customers are mixed. Policyholders rate MetLife highly in J.D. Power’s car insurance customer satisfaction study, awarding the carrier with an average of 824 out of 1,000 across all regions. Not every car insurance provider makes the list. However, MetLife has slightly more complaints than average, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
There are a few ways you can file a car insurance or glass/window claim with MetLife. You can use the mobile app or online platform to start a claim, or call the MetLife claims hotline available 24/7.
- Nationwide availability MetLife car insurance is available in all states.
- Multiple policies available Besides vehicle coverage, customers can buy recreational vehicle, home, health, and life insurance.
- Group discounts MetLife car insurance works with organizations and employers to provide exclusive affiliation discounts.
- Digital presence Drivers can manage their policies and file claims through MetLife’s website and mobile app.
- Mixed customer reviews MetLife auto insurance has an average number of customer complaints, according to NAIC. We typically like to see low complaint index scores from insurance companies.
- Lack of discounts MetLife provides fewer discounts than other carriers.
- No online quotes To get a MetLife auto insurance quote, customers need to contact an agent or fill out a quote form to submit.
- Transition phase MetLife auto insurance was recently purchased by Farmers, potentially causing confusion for current policyholders.
Metlife Car Insurance Highlights
All states have varying car insurance requirements. MetLife’s coverage includes liability and uninsured motorist to make sure you are legally covered, even if you purchase the minimum amount of car insurance. If you plan on financing a vehicle, lenders will typically require you to carry a full car insurance policy that expands coverage to insure your vehicle against damage and loss. MetLife’s comprehensive and collision insurance are available to meet lender requirements.
MetLife auto insurance reviews depend on the source reporting. Two of the most reputable places to read reviews are the NAIC and J.D. Power. The NAIC’s findings indicate that the carrier has a higher-than-average complaint index of 1.23 when compared to the market average of 1.
Furthermore, J.D. Power’s annual independent study ranked MetLife as an above-average car insurance carrier in auto insurance claims, in which it earned 886 out of 1,000 points.
MetLife does not offer current and prospective customers as many discount opportunities as other competing carriers but really stands out for the number of unique options available to customize your car insurance. Consider the following ways to get cheap car insurance.
- Good driver
- Automatic payment
- Roadside assistance
- MyJourney driver monitoring
- Replacement coverage
- Identity theft
- Special parts replacement
- Enhanced car rental damage coverage
The MetLife car insurance claims process gives policyholders multiple options when filing a claim. Customers can call the 24-hour hotline or file a claim online or through the mobile app. However, MetLife auto insurance reviews sometimes mention claims are denied without clear explanation or that the carrier is sometimes hesitant to pay them out.
Metlife’s Car Insurance Bundling Discounts for Cheaper Insurance
Although carriers typically offer a selection of car insurance discounts, many don’t amount to more than 5% off. Finding the biggest discounts can be challenging. One type of reduction worth looking into is a bundling or multiline discount. Drivers could receive a lower quote when bundling to car, home, and life insurance with MetLife. In fact, MetLife advertises that customers can save an average of $906 a year when bundling auto insurance with home insurance.
MetLife Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Provider||Reviews.com Score||J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction*||AM Best||Discounts|
Information accurate as of June 2021
*J.D. Power’s 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study average rating across regions. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
MetLife vs. Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual has far more discounts, offering 17 potential ways to save, compared to MetLife’s four. MetLife’s discounts focus on safe drivers, affiliations, or bundling coverage. However, a vehicle owner with a past speeding ticket or claim who is not employed by a company that has negotiated special rates with MetLife could find that coverage with the carrier is too expensive. Liberty Mutual allows drivers to stack discounts and maximize savings by taking advantage of age, vehicle, driving record, and payment-related reductions.
MetLife vs. Erie
Erie is one of the highest-rated car insurance companies in the country. Erie consistently ranks in the top three in J.D. Power’s customer satisfaction survey for the areas the carrier services. However, MetLife provides coverage nationwide, compared to Erie’s regional coverage focused mainly along the East Coast and the Central region.
MetLife vs. The Hartford
The Hartford primarily insures AARP members over the age of 50. Based on the policyholder demographic, The Hartford offers unique perks for vehicle owners such as guaranteed insurability as long as the policyholder retains a valid driver’s license. MetLife seems to be the choice for car owners who find the carrier through groups or affiliations.
MetLife Car Insurance FAQ
MetLife is best for individuals who can take advantage of exclusive discounts due to their workplace, group, or affiliation. MetLife has some unique coverages, such as extended rental car coverage and car parts replacement.
MetLife received an 886 out of 1,000 in the J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Claims Satisfaction study and an average score of 824 across applicable regions in J.D. Power’s 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction study. AM Best has rating MetLife A+ in financial strength, signifying its ability to pay out car insurance claims.
We evaluated MetLife car insurance based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength, and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision, and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.