Now in its third century of serving American consumers, The Hartford has built upon the reputation of its earlier years as it provides great coverage for automobile owners. While cars have come a long way since the first ones it insured in the early 1900s, our The Hartford car insurance review will show that the company still aims to give customers excellent service with unique modern-day benefits.
In business since: 1810
JD Power 2019: 3 out of 5 Power Circles
AM Best Financial strength: A+
BBB rating: A+
The Hartford Car Insurance Review
- Good customer service. In 2019, The Hartford had a customer complaint score of 66% below the industry average. Representatives are easily reached by phone or email, and you can file car insurance claims online 24/7 to get your situation taken care of right away.
- New car replacement policy. The Hartford’s new car replacement policy gives you a new car if yours is in an accident and the vehicle is a total loss within the first 15 months or 15,000 miles (whichever comes first) of buying the automobile. The new car will be the same make, model, and accessories as the one totaled and there is no depreciation or deduction calculated.
- 12-month policy protection. The 12-month policy protection feature means your car insurance rates are locked in place for a full year. While other companies may raise them every six months, with The Hartford you can budget knowing there won’t be any surprises halfway through the year.
- Low rates only for seniors. Due to the connection The Hartford has with the AARP, the best auto insurance policies it offers are for customers age 50 and above and members of AARP. Membership in AARP is easy to obtain and comes with a wealth of additional money-saving discounts.
- Few discounts. The Hartford doesn’t offer many discounts for teens and young adults like other insurance companies do. Its bundling discounts are also limited since it doesn’t offer many types of insurance coverage.
- AARP Auto Insurance Coverage. The flagship product of The Hartford car insurance, this policy is for members of AARP and offers a variety of unique benefits for the needs of its community.
- Classic Car Coverage. For those who have collectible classics that aren’t their daily drive, specialized coverage can be tailored to fit your needs.
- AARP Driver Safety course. AARP members can save money on their auto insurance premiums by passing a driver safety course. This is not available in all states, but many areas offer the option of taking the course online for added convenience.
- Bundle insurance policies. You can save an additional percentage off of your auto and home, condo, or renters insurance when you bundle them together with your car insurance.
Lifetime Renewable Auto Insurance
With Lifetime Renewable Auto Insurance, you are guaranteed lifetime auto insurance coverage as long as you meet a few simple criteria, including keeping a valid license and paying your premiums.
First Accident Forgiveness
Accidents happen, and that’s why the company will forgive your first accident as long as all drivers on your auto insurance policy have been accident-free for five years prior. Also, your premiums will not go up as a result of this first accident.
Sometimes you can walk away unharmed from an accident, other times you can’t. If your accident falls in the latter category, RecoverCare reimburses you for the services you need as a result of your accident. This includes things like lawn care, house cleaning, and taxi fare to work.
The Bottom Line
For those who are already members of AARP, or have been considering it, you can’t go wrong by choosing The Hartford as your auto insurance provider. You get a solid policy offering great benefits you won’t find from competitors. Being able to take advantage of these is worth any negligible price difference.
Whenever you price shop, compare discounts to see how much you qualify for. Always ask for additional discounts to see if you can get the price to drop further.
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||J.D. Power 2019 Claims Satisfaction Study||24/7 Claims Support|
All information accurate as of June 18, 2020.
The Hartford vs. Progressive
Both The Hartford and Progressive auto insurance offer many of the same coverage options, with special riders for rideshare drivers and gap insurance. They both offer 24/7 online claim filing and customer service support for those times when you can’t reach your agent. Progressive has more discounts though, with many geared at students and young adults.
|Supplemental coverage options||13||11|
|Number of discounts||8||13|
|Online claim filing||✓||✓|
The Hartford vs. State Farm
While The Hartford has more options when it comes to supplemental coverage, State Farm has more discounts, especially for bundling policies, since it offers more types of insurance. State Farm also has a customer loyalty discount. Both companies offer online claim filing and customer service support all day long.
|The Hartford||State Farm|
|Supplemental coverage options||13||9|
|Number of discounts||8||11|
|Online claim filing||✓||✓|
The Hartford Car Insurance FAQ
Besides the standard comprehensive and collision auto insurance policies, The Hartford offers medical payments, no fault, gap, and renters insurance. It also has a full glass policy which will cover damaged glass without any out of pocket cost to you.
The Hartford has been around for more than 200 years and enjoys a solid reputation. With its connection to AARP, auto insurance from The Hartford is better for those over 50 and their families.
Auto insurance through The Hartford is available in all states except Florida, and coverage, discounts, and specific details will vary by state.
The standard auto insurance policies with The Hartford are robust and offer many perks. However, add-on coverage like gap insurance and roadside assistance will give you peace of mind and be there when you need it.