We recommend products and services based on unbiased research from our editorial team. We make money via affiliate links, which means if you click a link on our site, we may earn a commission. Any commissions we receive do not affect our recommendations; if you want to know more about how that works, read more.
Total Home Protection has only been around for a few years, so the company doesn’t have the same brand recognition as other home warranty companies like American Home Shield.
However, Total Home Protection offers three tiers of coverage at affordable prices. And the flexibility of the coverages means that most homeowners will find a home warranty plan that fits their needs.
Total Home Protection Overview
- Plan types: Gold, Platinum, Optional
- Pricing: Varies by home and location
- Service fees: $45-75 (depending on plan and discounts)
- Workmanship guarantee: 90-day
- Contract length: 1 year or 5 years
- BBB rating (Letter): C
- Home inspection required? No requirement specified
- States served: 48
- Available appliance and system coverage: Air Conditioning System, Heating System, Refrigerator, Clothes Washer, Clothes Dryer, Plumbing System, Plumbing Stoppage, Water Heater, Whirlpool Bathtub, Electrical System, Oven / Range / Stove, Cooktop, Sump Pump, Built-in Microwave, Dishwasher, Garbage Disposal, Trash Compactor, Ductwork, Garage Door Opener, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans, Pool / Spa, Limited Roof Leak, Central Vacuum, Well Pump, Septic System, Septic Pumping, Stand Alone Freezer, Water Softener, Refrigerator Ice Maker, and Free-standing Ice Maker.
|Monthly Premiums||Varies by home and location||Varies by home and location||Varies by home and location|
|Appliances Covered||Water HeaterWhirlpool BathtubOven / Range / StoveCooktopSump Pump (permanently installed)Built-in MicrowaveDishwasherGarbage DisposalTrash CompactorGarage Door OpenerCeiling and Exhaust Fans||RefrigeratorClothes WasherClothes DryerWater HeaterWhirlpool BathtubOven / Range / StoveCooktopSump Pump (permanently installed)Built-in MicrowaveDishwasherGarbage DisposalTrash CompactorGarage Door OpenerCeiling and Exhaust Fans||Pool / SpaAdditional SpaLimited Roof LeakCentral VacuumSump PumpWell PumpSeptic PumpingSecond RefrigeratorStand Alone FreezerWater SoftenerRefrigerator Ice MakerFree Standing Ice MakerAdd’l Water Heater (each)Add’l Garage Door Opener (each)|
|Systems Covered||Plumbing SystemPlumbing StoppageElectrical SystemDuctwork||Air Conditioning System (2 units)Heating System (2 units)Plumbing SystemPlumbing StoppageElectrical SystemDuctwork||Septic SystemAdd’l A/C System (each)Add’l Heading System (each)|
Who is this best for?
Total Home Protection works well for homeowners with older appliances. Anyone who owns lots of appliances nearing the end of their lifecycle should look into a home warranty as an affordable way to provide coverage for home systems and appliances.
- Three tiers of coverage. The company offers three different options on home warranties, so people who want less coverage or more will both be able to find the solution that fits their needs.
- No limit on number of claims. There is no limit on the number of claims people can file on a single policy, so homeowners won’t have to worry if multiple appliances break at once.
- Free account transfer. When buying or selling a home, the home warranty can be transferred to a new homeowner or to a new home without any charge from the company.
- 24/7 claims hotline. Sometimes appliances break outside of regular office hours. The company has a round-the-clock number dedicated to handling claims so policyholders can file a claim at any time.
- Unavailable in all states. Although Total Home Protection provides home warranties in most places in the country, a representative indicated that residents in California and Washington are not eligible at this time.
- Coverage begins after 30 days. After signing up for a home warranty, the coverage will not be in effect until after a full 30 days.
|Total Home Protection||American Home Shield||Cinch||Liberty Home Guard|
|Service fee||$45-$75||$75, $100 or $125||None||Not stated; varies by region and plan|
|Workmanship guarantee||90 days||30 days||180 days||60 days|
|Other||3 tiers of coverageFree account transfer||4 tiers of coverage||3 tiers of coverage||3 tiers of coverage|
*All information accurate as of 4/9/2020.
Total Home Protection compared to Liberty Home Guard
Both companies offer three different options on home warranties, and both companies allow for policy customization. But Total Home Protection is much more widely available in the United States. Total Home Protection covers 48 states, while Liberty Home Guard only covers 36 states.
Total Home Protection offers a workmanship guarantee of 90 days, while Liberty Home Guard only offers the guarantee for 60 days, which can make a big difference if an appliance or system isn’t repaired correctly.
Liberty Home Guard gets a B+ grade from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which is definitely more impressive than Total Home Protection’s grade of a C. Both companies feature sign up specials that give policyholders a discount on coverage.
Total Home Protection compared to Cinch
With four different tiers of coverage, Cinch gives homeowners more options for home warranties than Total Home Protection. However, the two companies both provide coverage in 48 states and offer comprehensive coverage for home systems and appliances.
Cinch features an excellent 180-day workmanship guarantee, which exceeds Total Home Protection’s 90-day guarantee. But Cinch only features warranties with a year term, while Total Home Protection features warranties that have 1-year or 5-year terms, and the company offers substantial discounts on its 5-year term.
Cinch has an A- rating with the Better Business Bureau, while Total Home Protection was graded with a C+. Both companies feature online quoting tools that allow people to get a sense of the policy’s without calling in to a branch.
The Bottom Line
Total Home Protection is a young company offering flexible home warranties at competitive prices.
With three tiers of coverage to choose from, unlimited claim filing, and widespread coverage availability, Total Home Protection is a great fit for homeowners with older appliances.
As always, it’s best to compare all home warranties to find the one that fits best for your appliances and needs.