Esurance is owned by Allstate, the fourth-largest property and casualty insurer by market share in the United States, and pairs the innovative spirit of a tech company with the financial strength of a major insurer. Esurance was one of the first companies to take the insurance process online, so it’s no surprise that it excels in online tools and experience.
If you’re a new insurance buyer or looking to handle the insurance process by yourself, this Esurance homeowners insurance review will provide a look into the provider’s user-friendly tools and online resources to help you choose the best coverage for you. Filing a claim is simple to do online or on its app. However, Esurance seems to fall short when it comes to customer satisfaction, which is something important to consider when weighing the convenience and the discounts they provide.
Esurance Homeowners Insurance Overview
Esurance offers online-focused homeowners insurance for customers who prefer a quick and straightforward process. Esurance is a subsidiary of Allstate and holds an A- rating with the Better Business Bureau. According to YouGov, 23% of over 7,300 survey respondents have a good opinion of Esurance. However, the company also holds a high amount of complaints with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Esurance offers all the coverage you need, plus some extra helpful features. This makes the company appealing to a broad segment of customers.
- In business since: 1999
- AM Best financial strength rating: A+
- Policy types: homeowners, renters, condo
- Backed by the financial strength of Allstate
- Useful online tools
- States served: 31
Esurance Homeowners Insurance Review
- Simple DIY quotes – Input your zip code on the website or call the toll-free number to start the quotes process. Then provide some standard information, such as home address and purchase date, to have a quote within minutes.
- Useful online tools – The DIY home inspection app walks you through submitting videos for a home inspection. Esurance also offers a home insurance calculator to help you better understand your needs.
- Unique coverage offerings – Esurance includes features like water backup coverage protection against water coming up from the ground. Esurance also helps customers cover the unexpected cost of fire department fees should you ever need to call them.
- Customer complaints – Esurance’s Company Complaint Index is over three times the national average as a company and 23% higher for homeowner policies, according to NAIC.
- Underwriters – Esurance states on its website footnote that the company underwrites its own home insurance policies, but only in certain states. In states where Esurance policies aren’t available, the underwriters are Answer Financial, Inc or Security First Insurance Company for Florida residents. However, be sure to research who your underwriter is. Esurance redirects you to sites like Hippo in places where it isn’t available, and Hippo partners with other underwriters.
Esurance Homeowners Insurance Coverage
- Property Damage – Fires or lightning, windstorm damage, theft or vandalism
- Personal Property – At home: 40-75% of coverage limit. Away from home: 10% of coverage limit
- Living Expenses – 12-24 months at 10% of coverage limit
- Default Family Liability – $100,000
- Identity theft protection
- Rental income protection
- Extended premises
- Building codes coverage
- Home day care coverage
- DIY home inspection
- Home safety features
- Claims-free discount
- Storm shutters
- Hail-resistant roof
- Smoke-free home
The Bottom Line
Esurance offers straightforward, online-focused service for customers who prefer to handle their insurance digitally. It provides convenience, but with a sacrifice in customer service. While it does have agents available by phone, there are no local agents for customers to receive face-to-face help. As a subsidiary of Allstate, Esurance is backed by a reputable company. It also offers some unique features customers would have to pay extra for with other home insurance companies.
|Our review||Our review||Our review|
|AM Best financial strength rating||A+||n/a||A++||A++|
|NAIC customer complaint ratio||More complaints than average||Less complaints than average||Less complaints than average||Less complaints than average|
|Get quotes||Get quotes||Get quotes||Get quotes|
*All information accurate as of 05/19/2020
Esurance vs. Lemonade
Esurance is a tech-focused company, and Lemonade takes it a step further. With Lemonade, even communication is tech only. Esurance has a toll-free phone line with agents available for customers.
The goal of both companies is to make insurance as streamlined as possible. Both companies have helpful mobile apps and intuitive websites, but Lemonade is only available in 20 states versus Esurance being in 31. Also, since Lemonade doesn’t offer auto insurance, there’s no option to bundle policies.
Esurance vs. Geico
Esurance and Geico both have a reputation for their online offerings. With easy-to-use websites, online educational resources, and intuitive mobile apps, the two companies make online insurance simple for customers.
Both companies also have their policies underwritten by other companies (Esurance does underwrite some of its own), though Geico is more widely available. Geico, as a company, also boasts nearly half the complaints as Esurance. In addition, it holds a slightly higher financial strength rating, with an A++ from AM Best.
Esurance vs. Amica
Although both Esurance and Amica serve their customers online, by phone, and through a mobile app, Amica puts its focus on customer service.
To appeal to long-term customers, Amica offers customizable coverage and a loyalty discount. Amica was also at the top of the J.D. Power 2020 Property Claims Satisfaction Survey, meaning customers were highly satisfied with their claims experience.
Overall, it’s worth comparing offerings to see whether Esurance or Amica better suits your needs.
Esurance Home Insurance FAQ
Can I get Esurance through an agent?
Although Esurance doesn’t have any physical locations, customers may work with an agent over the phone. Agents are available via the toll-free number every day, 18 hours a day.
Is Esurance full coverage?
With an Esurance homeowners policy, you get all the same coverage that you would with any typical homeowners insurance company. Its quick and simple online approach doesn’t sacrifice its offerings.
Is Esurance a good insurance company?
Esurance has a strong financial rating, and with Allstate behind it, it’s a company that customers can depend on. While customer complaints ratings leave something to be desired, many people look for a straightforward online experience with their insurance, and Esurance provides that.
Are Esurance and Allstate the same company?
Esurance started as its own company in 1999 and became a subsidiary of Allstate in 2011. But in December 2019, Allstate announced that the Esurance brand will disappear in 2020 to streamline all their insurance business under the Allstate name.