Travelers has been helping Americans insure their belongings for over 160 years and offers coverage across all 50 states. The company also provides vehicle, travel, event, and umbrella policies depending on your needs and offers discounts when you bundle multiple policies. Where Travelers homeowners insurance stands out from the crowd is customization. You can easily customize coverage to suit your needs with situation-specific add-ons, from green home coverage to jewelry protection and identity fraud protection. The company fares less well when it comes to customer service, scoring below-average for claims satisfaction and above-average in total complaints.
Our Travelers homeowners insurance review in a nutshell: If you’re looking for customizable homeowners insurance backed by in-depth industry experience, Travelers is a great fit. If top-tier customer service is your priority, other providers may better meet your needs. Be sure to check our best homeowners insurance companies page to learn about other insurance companies as well.
Travelers homeowners insurance is available in all 50 states, and according to AM Best, the company’ Financial Strength Rating is A++. On YouGov.com’s authority, Travelers is the 21st most popular insurance brand, with 72% of people being familiar with the company.
The company has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2010 and has an A+ rating with the organization. However, based on customer reviews and complaints, Travelers has 1 out of 5 stars. Most of the low ratings are based on its car insurance policies, but home insurance customers complain about not being qualified for discounts, filing claims to the company, hidden fees and increasing premiums.
- Mutlitple coverage options: Current Travelers car insurance customers can save up to 15% on home insurance, and other policies like umbrella, boat and personal article floaters might apply for additional discounts.
- Wide range of discounts: You can save money with the variety of deals and discounts that this company offers, such as protective device discounts, green home discounts, loss-free discounts and home buyer discounts.
- National homeowners insurance coverage Travelers home insurance is available nationwide; individuals who are always on the move can benefit from it.
- Inconsistent customer satisfaction: A J.D. Power study and the Better Business Bureau show a high rate customer complaints, while NAIC has better rankings, showcasing a hit-or-miss experience.
- You might have to call to complete the purchase: For those that prefer doing everything online, this could be a roadblock, as you might need to contact an agent to finish policy completion.
- Hidden fees and rising premiums: Most complaints about this company had to do with the fact that they found surprises on their policy, including raised premiums.
Travelers home insurance uses an in-depth online application to generate policy quotes based on where you live, if you’ve recently moved, what type of house you live in, including square footage, siding type, heating system, year built, and any “green” features such as solar panels, along with your credit score. While the quote will vary significantly across home types and policy coverage needs, Travelers does have a reputation for competitive rates offering and discounts for customers. Best bet? Get quotes for multiple providers for the same coverage to see who offers the best deal.
Standard insurance policies from Travelers homeowners insurance are HO-3, the most common coverage, which covers damage to homes and properties from perils including fire, windstorms, hail, lightning, and vandalism. The policy also protects visitors if they are injured on your property and covers loss of use in the case of your home is no longer habitable. Available coverage options also protect specific assets, which typically assign value based on the replacement cost of the item minus its current depreciation.
Travelers also offer add-on coverage, such as special personal property, content replacement cost, jewelry and valuable items, personal articles floater, water backup and sump pump overflow, identity fraud and green home protection. If you are wondering how to estimate the homeowners insurance for you, check out our guide.
The overall Travelers homeowners customer experience is hit or miss. While the site contains great educational resources to help homeowners figure out their coverage needs, the company scores 796/1000 on the J.D. Power 2019 Home Insurance Study — a little below average. Still, it has fewer complaints than average on homeowners customer satisfaction, according to the NAIC.
If customers need support, they can reach out to Travelers by phone, check out the company’s in-depth online FAQ section, or log in to their account to view current policy details. Its mobile app is user-friendly and allows you to file claims, make payments, access virtual ID cards and manage your policy directly.
Homeowners can access a variety of discounts and deals from Travelers. For example, purchasing a car insurance policy from Travelers in addition to homeowners coverage comes with 15% savings, and you can save 5% if your home is LEED-certified green. The company also offers a new homebuyers discount for customers who purchased their home in the last 12 months, along with discounts for homeowners who haven’t experienced a home loss within a specified time period.
We evaluated the company based on their customer rating and experience, financial stability, and coverage to determine Reviews.com score and create our Travelers Homeowners Insurance Review. To compare this company with home insurance companies across the board, we then compared each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Customer Ratings: Customer ratings are an indication of satisfaction with the process of filing a claim. We measured this using J.D. Power Homeowners Satisfaction ratings.
- Coverage: As there isn’t one company to fit everyone’s needs, we evaluated companies by the amount of coverage options and add-ons available.
- Confidence: It is extremely important for insurance companies to fulfill customers’ claims. Companies with sound financial strength will not have issues paying out claims, regardless of the amount. However, companies with weak financial strength might not be able to pay out claims. We measured this using AM Best’s ratings, which specializes in assessing the financial strength of insurance companies.
- Customer Experience: The amount of complaints a company receives is an indicator of the overall customer experience as it expresses dissatisfaction. We have based this measure on the NAIC National Complaint Index.
*All information accurate as of 09/18/2020.
Travelers vs. State Farm
When we compared Travelers versus State Farm, we found that both companies offer a great web experience for their customers. Although Travelers has a user-friendly website and an intuitive app, State Farm won a place on our best homeowner insurance companies for having the best web experience.
In terms of customer service, Travelers got a J.D. Power score of 796/1000, which is lower than State Farm’s 831/1000. But Travelers got a better Reviews.com score because it has fewer complaints than State Farm on the NAIC ranks for the homeowners insurance category. Another thing that made Travelers stand out against State Farm is that it has more coverage options and discounts for properties.
Travelers vs. Liberty Mutual
While evaluating Travelers versus Liberty Mutual offerings for homeowners insurance, we liked that both companies have extensive discounts for their customers. However, Liberty Mutual offers unique discounts such as paperless statements and also offers insurance-to-value. These two insurers are pretty customizable, making Liberty Mutual one of our top picks for the best homeowner insurance companies.
Travelers edges out Liberty Mutual when it comes to customer service. The two companies’ J.D. Power scores are nearly identical, but the NAIC complaint index tells a much different story: Travelers has very few complaints, while Liberty has more than three times the national average. Travelers also has more financial stability than Liberty Mutual, with Travelers earning an A++ from A.M. Best, compared to Liberty’s A.
The Bottom Line
Travelers homeowners insurance offers the benefit of industry experience and customizable policies to help homeowners protect their property and enjoy peace of mind. The company doesn’t fare so well when it comes to customer service, however, scoring below average across claims satisfaction and overall service.
If customization and availability of ranges of discounts are your priorities, Travelers can get you where you want to go. If excellent service is your insurance standard, you may want to consider a different home protection partner.
Travelers Homeowners Insurance FAQ
Travelers also offer individual and business insurance to cover specific property and general liability risks, along with condo, renters, and landlord insurance. For those customers who already have a policy with the company, bundling multiple coverage types can reduce their total premium cost.
While there’s no specific amount of insurance required, combining your home’s value and personal possessions provides a solid coverage baseline. Check out our Homeowners Insurance FAQ and our article on how to estimate your homeowners insurance for more information about striking a balance between protection and premium price.
Travelers homeowners insurance is available across all 50 states.
Given its history in the insurance industry, Travelers chooses to underwrite all of its policies in-house.
Typical homeowners insurance from Travelers covers your primary dwelling, other structures such as garages, personal property inside your home, and loss of use. Personal liability is also covered in case of a third-party injury. The company also offers a variety of add-on coverage options for green homes, identity fraud, special personal property, and water backup or sump pump overflows.