Travelers Renters Insurance Review
Travelers provides solid, comprehensive renters insurance with discounts to keep your prices low and optional amendments that allow you to customize your policy to fit your own circumstances.
Renters insurance is affordable — in most areas, you’ll spend less than $200 annually for a policy — and Travelers’ rates are in line with the industry averages. You’ll want to work with a local agent who can help you ensure that your policy has the adequate coverage for everything from fire damage to liability claims.
Many renters don’t realize they need insurance coverage because they don’t own the building they live in, but your landlord’s policy only covers the building structure. With a Travelers renters policy, your belongings are protected, and so are you from a lawsuit if someone is injured while in your home.
The Renters Insurance Factors We Analyzed
Travelers renters insurance reviews are uneven. Highly-respected J.D. Power gives the company only two out of five Power Circles, which indicates that some customers aren’t happy with their interactions with the company.
But the Better Business Bureau gives Travelers an A+, and the company earned a fewer-than-average-complaints ranking from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. In all likelihood, your own experiences will be positive, especially if you find a good, professional agent with whom you’re comfortable working.
Getting an online quote from Travelers is simple, taking about five minutes. The website is well-organized, with a comprehensive claim center that lets you file a claim, manage the experience, and find service providers if necessary.
By all indications, Travelers has a solid financial base. AM Best, Fitch, Moody’s and Standard & Poors all rank Travelers high for financial strength.
Why does this matter? In the case of a large-scale regional disaster, when thousands of people are suddenly submitting claims, you’ll want to be insured by a company that has deep pockets and knows how to handle its resources carefully.
Basic renters insurance with Travelers covers several areas:
- Personal property coverage: Protection for your belongings, from furniture to the clothes in your closet, even if they’re not in your apartment. This coverage protects against disasters like fire, smoke, wind, and other weather events, as well as theft or vandalism.
- Personal liability protection: If someone falls down the stairs in your apartment, or your dog bites them, or they are otherwise injured, liability coverage protects you from a lawsuit. Your liability insurance may also pay for medical costs in case of injury.
- Additional living expenses: If your apartment is so badly damaged that you can’t stay there while it’s being repaired, this coverage will pay for a hotel, meals, laundry, and other needs you might have.
- Improvements: A Travelers rental policy allows you to apply up to 10% of your personal property coverage to repair or replace any improvements that you’ve made or purchased for the apartment.
Deals, discounts, and add-ons
You’ll get your best deal if you add on your car, boat, personal articles floater insurance or umbrella coverage to your renters policy — travelers says this will save you up to 5%. The company also offers a discount if you haven’t made a claim in a while, and one if you have a protective device such as a sprinkler system, smoke detector, home security system or security guard at your building.
Travelers offers two types of add-on coverage that you can choose to include with your policy for a cost. These types of coverage are called amendments, or riders.
- Contents replacement cost: Your basic policy will take depreciation into account when it pays your personal property claim. So if your couch is ten years old and looking a bit shabby, you won’t get much for it. But with this optional coverage, you’ll be given enough money on your claim to purchase new items of similar value, without regard to depreciation.
- Valuable items plus: If you have belongings that are of particular value, they may be worth more than your basic policy provides for. Jewelry, antiques, and home electronics are examples of this. You can get extended coverage of these items, without the need for an appraisal, for an additional cost.
Travelers Renters Insurance Overview: Financial Strength, Availability, and History
Although it’s not the best-known company in the U.S. — yougov.com ranks it at 22nd place, well behind companies like State Farm and Geico — Travelers has public recognition. It’s been around for 160+ years, and is the number one writer of workers comp and surety insurance in the U.S.
Travelers’ financial strength is excellent, with the highest rating possible from AM Best. This means that even in the event of a regional disaster, Travelers would have the financial resources to pay out on claims.
Travelers is widely available throughout most of the U.S., and with roughly 13,500 independent agents and brokers, you should be able to find someone to work with you on a renters policy with no problem.
- In business since: 1864
- S&P Global financial strength rating: AA
- Moody’s financial strength rating: Aa2
- AM Best financial strength rating: A++
- States served: 47 plus Washington, D.C.
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Renters Insurance Study Score||NAIC Customer Complaints|
|Travelers||A++||2/5||Fewer complaints than average|
|USAA||A++||5/5||Fewer complaints than average|
|State Farm||A++||5/5||Fewer complaints than average|
|American Family||A||5/5||Fewer complaints than average|
|Allstate||A+||2/5||Fewer complaints than average|
|Nationwide||A+||2/5||Fewer complaints than average|
|Farmers||A||2/5||Fewer complaints than average|
All information accurate as of May 19, 2020.
How We Evaluated Travelers Renters Insurance
For Travelers Renters Insurance Review we evaluated factors including financial strength as indicated by organizations such as AM Best and Standard & Poors, customer service ratings and support, as well as average premiums.
The Bottom Line
Travelers is a solid contender in the world of renters insurance. For a reasonable price, you can get an easily-customizable policy that will protect you from disasters both large and small.
The only area where Travelers doesn’t excel is in the area of customer service, and even there, the results were mixed. It’s likely that you won’t have to deal with this unless you make a claim, and in that case, the odds are in your favor that it will be a positive interaction.
Travelers is a good option no matter what kind of apartment or dormitory situation you find yourself in, but we would particularly recommend it for those who live in gated communities or buildings that have 24-hour security, since there are discounts available for those who do, making your rate even more competitive.
Travelers Renters Insurance FAQ
According to the Insurance Information Institute, the average renters insurance policy costs $180 a year. Your own costs will vary depending on the level of coverage you choose, as well as your deductible. A higher deductible will bring your premium rate down significantly, while a lower one may leave you paying more.
Travelers renters insurance covers common named perils, including fire, lightning, windstorms, hail, explosions, smoke, theft, and vandalism. Interestingly, your belongings are protected from theft even if they are not in your apartment when they are stolen. So if someone swipes your expensive new laptop while you’re getting coffee at the local Starbucks, you will still be covered.
To cancel your Travelers renters insurance policy, you’ll have to submit a notice in writing, typically at least 30 days before you’d like the policy to end. Call Travelers customer service at 1-800-842-5075 to ask how to cancel your policy.
Getting a quote online takes five minutes. Once you have a quote, a Travelers agent can answer your questions and sign you up for a policy in a short time.