Comcast XFINITY Review
Comcast is the largest cable TV provider, offering comprehensive programming for all types of television viewers with their XFINITY TV service. Comcast's poor customer service reputation is known by many, but you'll likely find the same issues elsewhere if you switch providers. Learn More
Available in most states:
Comcast XFINITY TV is available almost nationwide in 40 different states. The wide availability of Comcast services makes them an easy option when shopping not only for TV service, but also Internet, phone, and even home security services. Once you have Comcast service, and should you have to relocate, the wide availability will make any move and transfer of service very easy as they operate in many markets. Comcast also has service center locations across the country where it is easy to pick up and return equipment, pay your bill, or change your subscriptions.
Variety of TV packages:
One of the biggest challenges when choosing a TV package is finding one that offers you the right amount of channels at the right price. Comcast XFINITY offers five different TV plans that vary widely in price and the number of channels provided. A basic cable option with just 10 channels is available for about $24 per month, while the highest level plan starts at $85 per month with over 200 channels and a sports package. Whether you like to watch lots of movies or are a true sports fanatic, there is a TV plan with Comcast XFINITY that will offer the channels you really want watch.
XFINITY On Demand offers thousands of choices:
Comcast XFINITY On Demand has more On Demand choices than any other TV provider. Not only will you have an immense library of programming to choose from, but you will be able to watch it just about anywhere. XFINITY On Demand programming can be instantly watched on any TV in your home, or be streamed to a computer, tablet, or smartphone. There is unlimited viewing, and every type of entertainment for parents, teens, and kids is available. If On Demand is a feature you're interested in, XFINITY On Demand will not disappoint.
Many bundling options:
If you are looking for TV service alone, Comcast is a great option, or if you are looking to add more services like phone and Internet, Comcast also has a lot to offer. Combining services together in a bundle package can lead to major savings in the long run. Comcast XFINITY is also one of the only cable TV providers who offers home security and home automation services. Though these two services cannot be combined with traditional TV, phone, and Internet bundles, it never hurts to try to negotiate a better rate if you are a loyal subscriber with all other services.
Spanish language packages:
Unlike some TV companies that include just a few Spanish language channels in their programming, Comcast XFINITY TV actually offers Spanish language TV packages, including MultiLatino Plus. There is even an option to bundle with phone and Internet, which will certainly appeal to many households. The types of promotional perks offered with the Comcast XFINITY traditional plans are also offered with the Spanish TV plans. These include promotions such as free HBO for three months or a DVR included free for six months. Spanish programming may not be important to every household, but the plans available with Comcast XFINITY are some of the best in the industry.
Helpful online resources:
There is an abundance of helpful resources available on Comcast's website for those who like to get extra help on the spot. There is an interactive forum where customers can post questions and answers, a knowledge base of helpful articles, access to user guides and manuals, and helpful video tutorials if you like to see instructions step-by-step rather than read them. If you are new to having cable TV, these resources may be extra helpful to you when exploring all the different features that accompany Comcast XFINITY.
Bad customer service and support:
Customer service in the cable industry as a whole is regularly ranked quite low, and Comcast leads with this trend. Comcast has below average ratings for reliability and customer service and support. It has been noted that customers complain particularly of bad experiences with call centers. There are other support features that Comcast neglects, such as not having an email ticket system for online support, and not allowing you to sign up in-person at one of their many services centers. With all the online help resources, many customers will never interact with customer support, but it is certainly an area where Comcast (and most other TV providers) can improve.
Each cable TV plan offered with Comcast XFINITY has an initial, promotional price at signing, but price increases will take effect after your first 12 months into a two-year contract. Comcast does offer a no-term agreement, but the monthly rates will be significantly higher and typically a deposit is required for equipment. Rate increases after six months to a year are fairly common amongst TV companies, but there are some companies that may not spike their prices quite so high. If you prefer a no-contract arrangement, or are particularly sensitive to price hikes, Comcast may not be the best fit.
Underperforming mobile app:
Both the Comcast iPhone and Android apps pack in many of the latest and greatest features, but according to customer reviews, they may occasionally crash and don't operate exactly as advertised. The XFINITY Player app promises to deliver On Demand shows and movies, the ability to stream live TV, download and watch programming offline, and even set parental controls. While some have reported success using these features, particularly within a WiFi area, there are other claims that the Comcast app has a tendency to crash. Your experience may vary depending on your device, so be sure to test for yourself.
- Educational - The company offers educational channels like the History Channel, National Geographic, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and others.
- Entertainment - The company offers entertainment channels like MTV, VH1, CMT, BET, E! Entertainment, Comedy Central, and others.
- International Programming - The company offers foreign-language programming.
- Kids and Family - The company offers channels for kids and family like the Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and others.
- League Passes - The company offers access to league passes like NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, MLS Direct Kick, MLB Strike Zone, and others.
- Lifestyle - The company offers lifestyle channels like BIO, Bravo, The Food Network, HGTV, OWN, and others.
- Local - The company offers local channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, and others.
- Movie - The company offers movie channels like Encore, The Movie Channel, EPIX, and others.
- Music - The company offers channels that play music.
- News - The company offers news channels like CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, The Weather Channel, C-SPAN, and others.
- Premium - The company offers premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz.
- Spanish Programming - The company offers programming available in Spanish.
- Specialty Sports - The company offers specialty sports channels like the NFL Network, NBA TV, MLB Network, NHL Network, and others.
- Standard Sports - The company offers standard sports channels like the ESPN family of networks, the Golf Channel, regional sports, FUEL TV, Fox Sports, and others.
- NFL Sunday Ticket - The company offers the NFL Sunday Ticket.
Total Channels: 10+
Total Channels: 45+
Total Channels: 140+
Total Channels: 220+
Total Channels: 260+
* Package details and pricing may vary according to location. The packages and prices listed here are for those in the Seattle, WA market.