- January 12, 2018 - We’ve updated this review to take into account the most current consumer studies and financial strength ratings for insurance providers. Allstate maintains its high level of customer satisfaction during the claims process, but customers have reported high prices compared to competitors with similar offerings. We'll be taking a closer look at auto insurance providers in the next month, so stay tuned for more.
Our Allstate Review
Allstate offers a streamlined claims process from the moment you file to the time of repairs. Features like its Claims Satisfaction Guarantee (available in over 40 states), also ensure that customers get the coverage they pay for. With a wide range of policy and coverage options, Allstate delivers on its promise to provide customers the protection that best suits their needs.
While Allstate's protection and claims process is thorough, you’ll have to pay more for it. Consumer studies indicate that the company has higher rates compared to competitors with similar coverage options. In addition, potential customers have reported a few difficulties when trying to purchase their coverage. But if you're willing to pay a little extra for highly rated support in the case of an accident, Allstate is worth a look.
Allstate claims its innovative resources and personalized help from expert agents will take the complication out of car insurance. With access to a rich body of online learning materials and local agents nationwide, Allstate promises you won’t be without guidance as you navigate its diverse coverage options.
The company also guarantees a straightforward claims process. An online dashboard and its 24/7 claims center allow you to check the status of your claim and repairs day or night. For Allstate, that means less time worrying whether your claim is proceeding and greater confidence that you'll soon be back to life as normal.
Is it true?
Allstate ranks ninth out of the 24 leading car insurance providers when it comes to the J.D. Power 2017 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. The report indicates Allstate provides above average service during both the estimation and repair process when compared to other industry leaders. As the third leading provider of car insurance in the United States, Allstate also has an expansive network of agents and 3,500 repair shops to help you get through the claims process and back on the road quickly and confidently.
The Allstate Tools and Resource section online also offers articles and video tutorials on a wide range of topics, from insurance terminology to tips for choosing coverage options. With guides and tools like a car payment calculator, you’ll know exactly what your policy covers while staying within your budget. Most know the basics of how insurance works, but knowing the ins and outs of your coverage will help you navigate the more complicated claims process — that means less frustration and greater understanding between you and your Allstate agent.
However, it’s worth noting that the actual process of buying insurance from Allstate isn’t quite as easy. A separate J.D. Power study of customer satisfaction during the shopping process lists Allstate as below the industry average. According to the study, potential customers can expect higher rates and less helpful sales representatives compared to Allstate’s competitors. Although premiums differ by location and driving record, the studies show that you’ll likely be able to find the same level of coverage for a better price elsewhere. But you can always call a local agent rather than a sales rep if you want more personalized service, and if you’re willing to pay a little more for a provider that ranks within the top ten for claims satisfaction, Allstate is a viable choice.
A Closer Look at Features
|Price||Quotes will differ from person to person|
|In Business Since||1931|
|Best For||People who want a straightforward claims process or Uber and Lyft drivers looking for rideshare insurance|
|Not For||People who want low rates|
|J.D. Power Insurance Shopping Rating||833 out of 1000
(Below Industry Average)
|J.D. Power Auto Claims Satisfaction Rating||864 out of 1000
(Above Industry Average)
|A.M. Best Financial Strength Rating||A|
|Standard and Poor's Rating||A|
Our Deep Dive
- Helpful and Streamlined Claim Process: Allstate also provides online and mobile claim filing tools that make it easier to file fast and get your car fixed. When an accident occurs or your car sustains other damage covered by your policy, its detailed guides will help you through the process step by step — you can even download and print worksheets to help collect and organize all your claim information.
There are also no restrictions on choosing a repair facility, so you can use your favorite local repair shop or go with a facility in the Allstate Good Hands Repair Network. All of that results in a streamlined reporting procedure and repairs you can feel confident in. You always have the option of speaking with a claims agent for personalized service as well, which means you can get back to life as normal in whatever way makes you most comfortable.
- Claims satisfaction guarantee: Although Allstate’s claims process is solid, if you’re not happy with your auto claim, its Claim Satisfaction Guarantee means you’ll get your money back — no questions asked. The guarantee is only available in
43 states but is included for free with all standard Allstate policies for those who have access.
- Easy Online Policy Management: It’s nice to be able to take care of auto policy changes without spending time on the phone or paying a visit to your agent in person. Allstate makes this possible with a comprehensive online policy management center, allowing you to make all kinds of policy changes quickly. If you want to adjust your coverage, change your deductibles, add or remove a vehicle from your policy, or add a new driver to your account, it’s a snap. Like many major auto insurers, you can also print proof of insurance and pay your bill online in seconds. If convenient control over your policy is important to you, Allstate auto insurance is a strong option.
- Strong Learning Materials: If you’re a new driver or just want to learn more about auto insurance, Allstate offers a ton of resources in its Tools and Resources section to help you study up. You may need a minute or two to locate the subject you want to study up on — the isn’t well-organized — but once you find it, the content excels at explaining policy offerings.
- Reachable agents: As a leading provider, Allstate has agents that are widely available in all 50 states. For those who prefer speaking to an agent in-person when managing their policy or claim, Allstate will provide the ability to do so. Like most leading insurance companies, its claims department is also open 24/7 which means you’ll be able to ask questions about your claim day or night.
- Discount Options: Allstate offers standard price breaks for good drivers, good students, and low-mileage drivers. The company is also one of the few players in the industry that offers discounts for actions like paying your bill on time. The starting rates for Allstate are high compared to other providers, but they offer a diverse range of discounts to save you money.
- Mobile Capabilities: Allstate auto insurance offers a mobile app for both iPhone and Android that allows you to access policy information and digital ID cards. You’ll also be able to initiate a claim and collect important information after a collision, though the process isn’t as intuitive as we hoped. Overall, customers agree the mobile app is convenient, with a rating of 4.8 out of 5 for iPhone and 4.3 out of 5 for Android.
The Bottom Line
Allstate outperforms many competing insurance providers when it comes to offering a straightforward claims process. With above average customer satisfaction for estimates and repairs, the company keeps its promises to uphold the coverage that you pay for. Additional online tools and resources will also help you navigate your policy and the levels of coverage that best match your needs. New customers may still face a few obstacles when trying to purchase a plan — Allstate's call center sales representatives aren’t as helpful, so you'll want to speak with your local agent. The starting rate for most plans with Allstate are also higher compared to other providers with similar coverage options. But once you get past the purchasing process, Allstate turns out to offer dependable protection that will potentially save you big money in the case of an accident.
In-Depth Auto Insurance Reviews
We've reviewed a lot of insurance companies. Check out our in depth reviews of each.*
- Ameriprise Financial
- Farmers Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Nationwide Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford