List of Car Insurance Companies and Ratings
What Do Car Insurance Ratings Mean for Me?
Take a moment to compare the financial strength, customer service, and claims satisfaction record of any company you’re considering for auto insurance. Along with price, these are the most important factors to think about before choosing a provider. A company that scores well in all three areas will protect you financially and make the insurance process as painless as possible.
Of course, our rating system doesn’t cover every scenario. There are always outside factors that will affect your decision process. For instance: Liberty Mutual has a seemingly low customer satisfaction score compared to other providers on this list. But maybe your neighbor insures their car at Liberty Mutual and loves the local agent — it’s worth giving them a call to see if they jive with you, too. Remember that these scores are averages and not indicative of every agent or experience.
Our Car Insurance Rating System
Our rating system incorporates scores from official agencies like the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, as well as consumer-based survey groups like J.D. Power. We’ve translated each company’s rating scale into a five-star system to make comparisons a little easier.
How does car insurance work, anyway?
- There’s a lot that goes into building a strong car insurance policy and choosing the right provider. For a crash course in auto insurance and tips about shopping around, check out our car insurance buyers’ guide.
How can I save money on my car insurance?
- Discounts are a good place to start, but there are plenty of other ways to save on your car insurance. See our guide to cheap car insurance for pointers and expert advice about the smartest, safest ways to cut costs on your policy.
I want more information about specific companies.
- We’ve done in-depth reviews on a number of popular car insurance companies. Click any name above that features a “†” symbol for an in-depth review of that provider.
- You can learn more about coverage options, discounts, and standout features from the top auto insurance companies in our review of nationwide auto insurance companies. You’ll also find in-depth reviews of individual providers and state-by-state car insurance reviews.
I’m ready to compare prices.
- Get started on your shopping with our car insurance quote tool, which will point you toward popular providers in your ZIP code and help you start comparing rates.