Liberty Mutual Review
- March 13, 2018 - We’ve made more updates to this page, adding further considerations of Liberty Mutual’s discounts and comparisons between Liberty Mutual and the competition. We also look at the audiences most likely to benefit from coverage through Liberty Mutual, making it even easier to feel confident choosing your next auto insurer.
- January 12, 2018 - We’ve updated our Liberty Mutual review to take into account the most recent consumer studies and financial strength ratings. Liberty Mutual still offers financial stability to back your claims and helpful online resources for finding the right level of coverage. But it now ranks among the lowest providers when it comes to customer satisfaction during the claims process.
Our Liberty Mutual Review
Liberty Mutual offers an easy online quote process and some of the most straightforward online resources for understanding insurance policies. Guides with simple explanations and tools like cost calculators keep customers informed about the coverage options that will best suit their needs. In short, Liberty Mutual lives up to its promise of a quick and painless shopping experience.
However, it’s worth noting that customers who purchased insurance with Liberty Mutual have reported difficulty filing claims. While Liberty Mutual offers first class service to potential new customers, you may not receive the same level of support as a policyholder after an accident or during repairs — when it matters most. But customers can still expect low rates for a wide range of coverage options, making it worth the effort to get a quote from Liberty Mutual.
Liberty Mutual promises its insurance policies will ease your concerns rather than cause them. Specifically, Liberty Mutual claims to provide a fast and simple quote process that helps you find the coverage types and amounts that best fit your needs — including financial protection from both accident and non-accident related incidents.
At the same time, Liberty Mutual advertises multiple car insurance discounts so that your coverage doesn’t break your budget. The ultimate goal? A car insurance policy that gets you the best coverage and service at the lowest possible price.
Is it True?
Yes and no.
According to the J.D. Power 2017 Insurance Shopping Study, Liberty Mutual ranks eighth out of 24 providers when it comes to customer satisfaction during the purchasing experience — outperforming industry standards like State Farm and Progressive. The report indicates that the high ranking is due to solid policy offerings, reasonable pricing, and helpful sales representatives that guide you through the process of buying the right level of coverage.
Its online quote process features an easy-to-navigate interface and simple forms that let you tweak coverage options and costs until you find the perfect plan for your needs. Once you sign up, Liberty Mutual also offers additional tools like a Coverage Compass to help you identify any gaps you may have missed along the way. In other words, Liberty Mutual’s tools guarantee your insurance policy includes the coverage options that can save you a lot of money.
That said, when it comes time to file a claim, Liberty Mutual’s reputation for customer satisfaction takes a heavy hit. In an additional study by J.D. Power, Liberty Mutual ranks twenty-first out of the 24 providers in terms of overall customer satisfaction with the auto claims process. In particular, the company ranks below average when it comes to the quality of its estimation process and claim servicing. User reviews from the Better Business Bureau are less kind — 222 out of 235 reviews for the company are negative. While not all those complaints are related to car insurance, those that are complain of difficulty with filing claims. In short, you can build your policy with Liberty Mutual in a snap, but actually using it may be far more difficult than the company lets on.
Liberty Mutual doesn’t offer the most discounts of the auto insurers we looked at, but it does offer a few harder-to-find deductions that will make it appealing for specific customers. If you own a newer hybrid, for example, there’s a pretty good chance that you’ll see sizable savings from Liberty Mutual: The insurer is one of only two top providers that offers a discount for hybrid vehicles (the other being Travelers, the runner-up in our review of the best auto insurance). Plus, Liberty Mutual offers vehicle discounts for safety features like anti-lock brakes and anti-theft devices, which come standard in many newer cars and may deduct even more from your monthly rate.
Liberty Mutual will be particularly attractive for families with students. Beyond an extremely rare teen driver discount (teens are among the highest-risk drivers and thus some of the most expensive to insure), it also offers discounts for student drivers through a Good Student discount, open to policyholders under the age of 25 who maintain a B average in school. Liberty Mutual was also the only one of our top insurance companies that provides a deduction for new graduates, which means the savings you see for being a good student don’t have to end after graduation.
Of course, you won’t qualify for every deduction from any insurance company, which makes it all the more important to get quotes from as many insurers as possible. But if you own a newer hybrid vehicle or have a student in the family that will be covered under your policy, Liberty Mutual’s discounts may translate into your lowest monthly rate.
A Closer Look at Features
|Quotes will differ from person to person|
|People who want a straightforward quote process, or families with student drivers|
|People who want more support during the claims process|
|849 out of 1000
(Above Industry Average)
|841 out of 1000
(Below Industry Average)
Our Deep Dive
- Solid coverage options: Liberty Mutual offers a variety of thorough coverage options for the unfortunate case where your car is deemed a total loss. Purchasing a car with an auto loan is fairly common practice, but the value of the car may not cover the entire cost of the auto loan if a major accident occurs. With GAP coverage, Liberty Mutual will cover the remaining amount you owe on a car even if its more than the car is assessed to be worth. Aside from large scale coverage, Liberty Mutual also provides helpful options including rental car reimbursement and roadside assistance for additional peace of mind on the road.
- Online resources and quote process: Most people probably have a basic understanding of how auto insurance works, but when it comes to navigating the ins and outs of a policy, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Liberty Mutual provides online guides and videos with short and simple explanations of coverage options to make finding the right policy a breeze. Liberty Mutual's online quote process offers straightforward forms, with additional features including a coverage calculator, an agent locator, and even a specific web page dedicated to teens.
- Driver discounts: Driver discounts can play an important role in your ability to find an affordable auto insurance premium. Liberty Mutual does offer a variety of driver discounts, but its range of available deductions still comes up a bit short when compared to top competitors. If you’re willing to shop around, you may be able to find a set of discounts more applicable to your specific circumstances. However, most customers can still expect reasonable rates with Liberty Mutual overall.
- Acessible agents: With available agents in all 50 states as well as a 24/7 claims department, you’ll be able to reach a Liberty Mutual representative quickly and easily. Whether you have questions about your policy, need an update on your claim or repairs, or simply want more details about coverage options, an agent will be ready and waiting to address your needs.
- No mechanical breakdown coverage: Most new cars come with a factory warranty that covers the breakdown of car parts for a certain period of time or miles — usually three years or 36,000 miles. However, after that period you will be responsible for the cost of repairs unless you purchase an extended car warranty or mechanical breakdown insurance. Liberty Mutual doesn’t offer breakdown insurance which means you’ll have to look elsewhere if you want coverage for repairs that aren’t related to collisions or outside sources.
To be fair, the company is partnered with ForeverCar which will provide a vehicle service plan (an extended warranty), but we missed having the option of bundling breakdown coverage with our insurance policy — having the coverage as part of our regular monthly payments is much easier to keep track of. Additionally, the ForeverCar website doesn’t provide as much information regarding its different coverage options, which was a major contrast to the simple-but-informative explanations we found on Liberty Mutual’s site. It’s not a huge deal breaker, but we like knowing exactly what we’re signing up for.
Liberty Mutual vs. The Competition
Liberty Mutual vs. Allstate
If Liberty Mutual’s low claims satisfaction gives you cause for concern, we recommend taking a closer look at Allstate, another provider with nationwide coverage, simple policy management, and tools and resources to make filing claims painless. Online and mobile features include step-by-step guides for filing a claim after an accident (with worksheets to help you collect and organize claim information) and other extensive learning materials to make sure you’re prepared for whatever speedbumps you encounter on or off the road. Allstate also offers an exceptional Claim Satisfaction Guarantee in 43 states that provides you with credit amounting to six months’ worth of premium payments if you’re not happy with your auto claim — no questions asked. Plus, Allstate includes many of the same discounts as Liberty Mutual, such as savings for safety features and good students. While it doesn’t have Liberty Mutual’s deduction for recent graduates, Allstate does provide one for students away at school who won’t be regularly driving a vehicle, making both companies solid choices for families with students.
What Others Are Saying
Obrella agrees that Liberty Mutual is a good fit for teen drivers — but you might have to pay more for other coverage.
As insurance guide Obrella notes, “Liberty Mutual has a history of being teen-friendly”: The insurer has been a partner of Students Against Destructive Decisions, a national organization dedicated to promoting safe habits among teens, since 1991. With its extraordinarily rare discount for teen drivers, Liberty Mutual offers savings for qualities that drive your rate up elsewhere. But with fewer overall deductions than the competition, premiums from Liberty Mutual are generally a bit higher if you don’t qualify. So while Liberty Mutual can be a great option for families “introducing a teen driver to their policy,” other drivers may not see the same cost savings.
The Bottom Line
Liberty Mutual offers a streamlined quote process that make finding the right policy and coverage level quick and easy. Additional resources including online guides and videos will walk you through insurance terms and coverage options to help you make informed decisions about your purchase. Out of the many insurance companies we explored, Liberty Mutual did a better job of taking the complication out of the purchasing experience. That said, filing claims with Liberty Mutual may be more complicated than the simple quote process would suggest. Customers have complained of a less supportive claims process which means more effort on your end to ensure you get the coverage you paid for. But overall, Liberty Mutual still offers thorough coverage with reasonable rates for most customers.
In-Depth Auto Insurance Reviews
We've reviewed a lot of insurance companies. Check out our in depth reviews of each.*
- Ameriprise Financial
- Farmers Insurance
- Nationwide Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford