- Reviews.com scores AAA with a 3.2 out of 5, based on auto coverage options, customer reviews, and discounts.
- AAADrive program on its mobile app discounts premiums based on safe driving habits.
- AAA car insurance comes with membership that includes travel and roadside assistance, discounts on car repairs, and DMV services in-branch.
AAA car insurance is available when drivers sign up for a membership with the auto club. A thorough AAA insurance company review shows that it offers customizable coverage due to the number of insurance options and add-ons available, such as rideshare insurance and original equipment manufacturer parts coverage. Furthermore, membership in the club expands insurance coverage by providing roadside service and special member-exclusive perks and discounts.
We reviewed AAA car insurance based on coverage options, discounts available, customer service, and AAA insurance average premiums in the United States.
The States Where AAA’s Premiums Are Cheapest and Most Expensive
Data Source: Coverage.com
AAA Car Insurance Overview
AAA auto insurance ranks below average in J.D. Power’s 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study in several regions nationwide, as well as in its 2020 Auto Claims Satisfaction study. However, AM Best rates AAA car insurance company an A in financial stability, which proves its ability to pay out car insurance claims. While most other carriers usually score A+ or better, A is still a solid rating for AAA car insurance.
AAA auto insurance quotes and coverage are handled by different regional subsidiaries.
- Full service: Membership includes in-house DMV services, travel and roadside assistance, discounts for vehicle repairs and exclusive deals on a variety of goods and services.
- Rideshare insurance: Drivers can add coverage for the times they drive or make deliveries for rideshare services.
- Replacement cost: Opt for new car protection and you can replace your car with a new model if it’s declared a total loss.
- Strong online services: The website and mobile app allow policyholders to manage their policies, access their insurance cards, and file claims.
- Regional availability: AAA auto insurance quotes and coverage are handled by different regional subsidiaries.
- Membership required: Membership to the AAA Club is usually required before you can buy coverage.
- Below average customer satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks AAA auto insurance below average in several regions.
- Limited availability: AAA auto insurance is not available in every state, so some drivers are out of luck.
AAA Auto Insurance Highlights
Nearly all states require drivers to carry a certain amount of liability insurance as a minimum. However, having minimal liability coverage may not be enough. Besides liability insurance, you can add collision and comprehensive insurance. Doing so provides you with a full car insurance package. Most lenders will require you carry full car insurance while you pay back your auto loan.
According to AAA customer reviews, ratings from the NAIC and J.D. Power’s study, the AAA customer experience is conflicting. The NAIC reports higher than average complaints, assigning AAA a complaint index score of 3.82. However, J.D, Power’s customer satisfaction study respondents rank the carrier high in communication, the claims process, coverage options, and pricing.
In addition to liability, comprehensive and collision insurance, there are other optional coverages you can add that further customize your vehicle coverage. Each type of coverage comes with its own fee, which depends on your location and level of coverage you choose.
Drivers can add the following coverage to their AAA insurance policy:
- Replacement cost coverage
- Rental car reimbursement
- Gap insurance
- Medical payments
- Rideshare insurance (depending on the state)
AAA offers plenty of convenient options if you are involved in an accident or your vehicle is damaged. If you need to file a car insurance claim, you can visit a local office, call AAA, file online, or through the mobile app. AAA has approved auto repair shops for car repairs that include a warranty on the repairs and parts used.
AAA’s Car Insurance Bundling Discounts for Cheaper Insurance
One of the best ways to lower your car insurance premiums is to bundle coverage. If you buy home or renters insurance from the same company as your auto coverage, you could get a discount across the board. In one region of service by AAA, drivers can save the following amount when they combine:
- Auto and home: Up to 15.7% on car insurance and up to 20% on home insurance.
- Auto and condo: Up to 11.2% on your car premiums and up to 20% on condo insurance.
- Auto and renters: Up to 3.7% on vehicle insurance and up to 10% on renters coverage.
- Auto, home, and life: Up to 19.4% on vehicle rates and up to 20% on homeowners insurance policy when also adding life insurance.
AAA Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Provider||Reviews.com Score||AM Best||J.D Power Customer Satisfaction*||No. of Discounts|
Information accurate as of June 2021
*J.D. Power’s 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study average rating across all regions. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
AAA vs. Auto-Owners
AAA and Auto-Owners both provide policyholders with the level of coverage required in all states. However, Auto-Owners is available to all drivers without the need to become a club member first. Both companies provide roadside assistance although AAA’s is the better-known of the two.
AAA vs. Liberty Mutual
Both AAA and Liberty Mutual both offer quality car insurance and provide a list of discount options for safe drivers, students and more. However, Liberty Mutual may be a better option for vehicle owners who drive alternative-fuel cars such as electric or hybrid vehicles. You’ll receive an alternative energy discount that could lower your annual premiums.
AAA vs. Farmers
One of the drawbacks of AAA insurance is the requirement to join the club first. That adds an additional fee every year, which varies depending on the AAA club in your area. If you’re looking to save on your car insurance, Farmers has the most discounts available (23) and doesn’t require membership. Some include VIN etching, senior and affinity discounts.
AAA Car Insurance FAQ
The AAA auto insurance phone number is 1-800-AAA-HELP (1-800-222-4357). To file a claim, you can call 1-800-672-5246.
Using data from Coverage.com, we found that AAA car insurance costs $2,117 on average in the United States. Drivers in states like Louisiana and Michigan will pay the most in premiums with AAA, while premiums are lower in California, Missouri, and Arizona, on average.
We evaluated the AAA auto insurance company based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength, and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision, and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.