- Reviews.com scores Safe Auto company 4.3 out of 5, based on coverage options, discounts, customer satisfaction, and more.
- Safe Auto specializes in affordable minimum coverage car insurance and coverage for high-risk drivers.
- Safe Auto offers auto insurance across 20 states.
Safe Auto car insurance doesn’t offer the most affordable auto insurance premiums in the U.S., but it specializes in car insurance coverage for high-risk drivers. Safe Auto began providing minimum coverage to drivers but has expanded its offering to provide collision, comprehensive, and other additional coverage options. Although it has not been rated by J.D. Power, other expert third-party agencies like the Better Business Bureau and AM Best have rated Safe Auto for high customer satisfaction and financial strength, respectively. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Safe Auto has received more than the average number of complaints by state regulators.
The States Where Safe Auto’s Premiums Are Cheapest and Most Expensive
Data Source: Coverage.com
Safe Auto Car Insurance Overview
Although Safe Auto is fairly new, the car insurance company serves in 20 states across the U.S. and has a large portion of the car insurance market share. Safe Auto car insurance specializes in minimum coverage insurance and coverage for high-risk drivers who would normally not be able to obtain insurance elsewhere. Safe Auto places importance on customers’ convenience with its Quick Pay feature and Safe Auto mobile app for iOS and Android. Customers can also create an account online to pay bills and set up recurring payments.
- Affordable car insurance coverage: Safe Auto car insurance specializes in providing affordable minimum coverage and coverage for high-risk drivers.
- Safe Auto mobile app: Safe Auto provides an easy-to-use iOS and Android app for customers to view their policy and manage bills online.
- SR-22 insurance: Drivers who require SR-22 insurance can find options available through Safe Auto car insurance.
- Offers various insurance products: Safe Auto provides various insurance products including motorcycle, homeowners, renters, health, and business insurance.
- Not available nationwide: Safe Auto car insurance is only available in 20 states.
- High premiums for safe drivers: Safe drivers can expect to see higher-than-average premiums for car insurance with Safe Auto.
- Not rated by J.D. Power: Safe Auto car insurance is not rated by JD Power for customer satisfaction.
- High customer complaints: NAIC reports that Safe Auto has more complaints from safe regulators than the market average.
Safe Auto Car Insurance Highlights
Safe Auto car insurance specializes in minimum car insurance coverage and coverage for high-risk drivers, so customers will find mostly the basics. Minimum car insurance from Safe Auto includes collision, property damage, bodily injury, and comprehensive.
Drivers required by their state or a judge to have SR-22 insurance can also get it through Safe Auto.
Based on data collected from the NAIC, Safe Auto car insurance received more complaints from state regulators than the average car insurance company within a three-year period. NAIC reports a customer complaint index of 9.07 for Safe Auto insurance, which is nine times higher than the industry average of 1.0.
On the other hand, Safe Auto is not rated by J.D. Power in customer satisfaction. However, according to the BBB, Safe Auto is rated as an A+ company.
Safe Auto car insurance provides different discounts based on location. A few of its featured discounts, however, include multi-vehicle, new business transfer, and homeowners discounts.
Safe Auto also offers add-on coverage specific to each state. A few of the featured add-ons include personal injury protection, loss of income, medical and funeral expenses, cost of replacement of household services, uninsured motorist coverage, rental car reimbursement, and roadside assistance.
Although the NAIC has reported Safe Auto as having more complaints than average, Safe Auto has a typical claims reporting process. First, the insured driver will report the claim to the company, then it’s followed by an investigation through the Safe Auto claims adjuster and a resolution following the investigation.
Safe Auto’s Car Insurance Bundling Discounts for Cheaper Insurance
With Safe Auto car insurance, customers can bundle products or services to lower the cost of their insurance premiums while managing multiple insurance policies under one provider. Safe Auto offers multi-vehicle and multi-policy bundling options, however, drivers insured with Safe Auto or interested in receiving insurance must speak to a representative or obtain a quote online to learn more about how much they can save with Safe Auto’s home and auto bundling discounts.
Safe Auto Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Reviews.com Score Score is based on company’s customer experience, financial stability, and coverage options.||A.M. Best AM Best rates insurance providers creditworthiness. Ratings are based on the provider’s ability to follow through with a payout when a consumer files a claim.||J.D Power Customer Satisfaction J.D. Power scores are based on surveys for customer satisfaction and product quality.||No. of Discounts|
|Pin Safe Auto||4.3||A||Not rated||6|
Information accurate as of May 2021
Safe Auto vs. Auto-Owners
Safe Auto specializes in providing affordable minimum coverage and coverage for high-risk drivers, while Auto-Owners places emphasis on student drivers and new drivers with discounts geared towards teen drivers and students away from home. Auto-Owners serves 26 states across the U.S. while Safe Auto only provides insurance in 20 states. Furthermore, Auto-Owners has a higher financial stability rating from AM Best than Safe Auto, earning an A++.
Safe Auto vs. USAA
The biggest difference between Safe Auto and USAA is in the target audience. While Safe Auto specializes in serving high-risk drivers or drivers wishing to obtain minimum coverage, USAA specializes in providing insurance to military service members or those related to military service members. Drivers can only receive car insurance through USAA by membership. Therefore, USAA scores highly on customer satisfaction for affordability, claims management, number of discounts, and benefits by expert third-party ratings like J.D. Power, BBB, NAIC, and AM Best.
Safe Auto vs. Farmers
Safe Auto and Farmers differ in discounts. While Safe Auto only features a few of its discounts like multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowners, Farmers features a long list of discounts for various features, such as having safety features installed in vehicles. Additionally, Farmers provides an online claims management center, making it easier for customers to file and manage their claims anytime, while Safe Auto does not offer a 24/7 claims feature.
Safe Auto FAQ
Safe Auto is an average and affordable car insurance company for drivers looking to obtain minimum coverage or coverage for high-risk drivers, however, its lack of discounts and higher-than-average premiums for safe drivers mean there are better car insurance companies in the industry.
We evaluated Safe Auto Car Insurance based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength, and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision, and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.