Global Home Protection’s home warranties allow people to customize how they want to protect their home. Homeowners can choose between covering their appliances, home systems, or both.
The company provides a few helpful perks on their warranties. For example, policies can be cancelled at any time, and there’s no fee for transferring the home warranty to another person after selling the home.
Global Home Protection also features add-on coverages to customize policies. But any issue must be reported within 24 hours to be eligible for coverage under the warranty.
Global Home Protection Overview
- Plan types: Major System, Major Appliance, Diamond
- Pricing: As low as $1, but varies by state
- Service fees: Yes (unspecified)
- Workmanship guarantee: 90 days (parts), 30 days (labor)
- Contract length: 12 months
- BBB rating (Letter): Not rated
- Home inspection required? Not specified
- States served: Not specified
- Available appliance and system coverage: Air Conditioning System, Heating System, Electrical System, Plumbing Systems, Septic System, Plumbing Stoppage, Water Heater, Garbage Disposal, Kitchen Refrigerator, Oven/Range/Stove, CookTop, Dishwasher, Built-In Microwave, Clothes Washer, Clothes Dryer, Ceiling Fan, Exhaust Fan, Garage Door Opener, Whirlpool Bathtub, Pool/Spa, Stand Alone Freezer, Well Pump, Water Softener, Refrigerator Ice Maker, Sump Pump, Central Vacuum, and Limited Roof Leak.
|Plan Type||Major Systems Plan||Major Appliances Plan||Diamond Plan|
Who is this best for?
Global Home Protection structures their home warranties in a way that allows people to choose if they want to protect their appliances, home systems or both.
Because the plans are split by appliances and systems, a warranty from Global Home Protection would work well for a homeowner who wants to protect a single category of home assets.
- Three home warranties available. The different options the company offers gives homeowners plenty of ways to choose how they want to protect their home.
- Optional Coverages. The optional coverages that Global Home Protection offers in addition to the three warranties allow homeowners to customize their home warranty to fit their individual needs.
- No fee to transfer policy. When selling a home protected by a Global Home Protection warranty, the seller can transfer the home warranty to the buyer free of charge.
- Multi-property discounts. Discounts are also available to people who use Global Home Protection for more than one property.
- 24/7 claims processing. Sometimes appliances break outside of normal business hours. The company has 24-hour claims processing to help out customers in a bind.
- Must file a claim within 24 hours. Global Home Protection’s home warranty will only cover a repair if reported within 24 hours of the appliance or home system breaking down.
- Fee for early cancellation. In the terms and conditions, the company states that any contract cancelled after 30 days of signing up will be charged a $75 administrative fee and a cancellation fee.
- Coverage begins 30 days from enrollment. To ensure that a warranty isn’t issued when an appliance or system is about to break, Global Home Protection coverage doesn’t go into effect until a month after signing up for a warranty.
|Global Home Protection||American Home Shield||Cinch||Choice Home Warranty|
|States served||Check availability||50||48||48|
|Service fee||Starting at $45||$75, $100, or $125||No||$85|
|Workmanship guarantee||90 days for parts, 30 days for labor||30 days||180 days||90 days for parts, 30 days for labor|
*All information accurate as of 4/12/2020.
Global Home Protection compared to Cinch
The home warranties from Global Home Protection and Cinch are very similar. Both companies offer plans that allow homeowners to choose between protecting appliances or home systems. And both companies offer a comprehensive plan that covers appliances and systems.
Cinch services 48 states, while Global Home Protection’s website does not specify how many many states are covered. Cinch separates themselves from the pack by offering no service fees with their home warranty. Global Home Protection’s service fee starts at $45 but may vary by specific claim.
Global Home Protection guarantees parts for 30 days and labor for 90 days, which is about average. However, Cinch offers a 180-day workmanship guarantee, which is one of the best in the industry.
Global Home Protection compared to American Home Shield
American Home Shield has been around much longer than Global Home Protection and earns a B rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), while Global Home Protection has yet to receive a BBB rating. Both companies offer a year-long contract, and neither company requires a home inspection.
Global Home Protection offers a guarantee of 30 days for parts and 90 days for labor, which is a little better than American Home Shield’s flat 30-day workmanship guarantee.
American Home Shield gives their customers four home warranty options to choose from, and Global Home Protection only offers three options.
One downside to both companies is that neither features specific pricing information on their websites, so people who are interested in a home warranty will have to get a personalized quote if they want to get a true estimate. However, both companies feature an online quote tool on their website, which can be helpful in that process.
The Bottom Line
Customization of coverage is the primary stand-out of Global Home Protection, while the free policy transfer is a nice perk for homeowners looking to sell.
In addition, the workmanship guarantee will ease the mind of anyone who signs up for a warranty from Global Home Protection and then files a claim.
When searching for a new home warranty, don’t forget to check out all the different companies available in the area to find the one that will provide the best service at the lowest rate.