Farmers is a well-respected insurance company that offers renters insurance in all 50 states. The company stands out in certain areas, including their below-average price and easy claims process. Their digital tools make this company a good option for those who’d rather work through an app or website than talk to an agent. That being said, the company receives average to poor reviews in some ratings, including J.D. Power’s customer satisfaction survey and NAIC complaints.
Farmers Renters Insurance Overview
Farmers was founded in 1928 and since then they’ve sold over 19 million individual insurance policies to customers around the country. The company employs more than 48,000 exclusive and independent agents.
Farmers also consistently earns strong financial ratings. Overall, the general public has a good perception of Farmers. The company has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and only 9% of people have a negative opinion of the company, according to YouGov.
- Widely available Farmers renters insurance is available in all 50 states.
- Decent coverage options Farmers has coverage options comparable to its competitors.
- Easy to contact Farmers makes it easy to file a claim, with options including their website, call center, text message, and app.
- Poor customer service Farmers scored poorly on customer satisfaction surveys.
- Limited discounts Farmers has fewer discounts available than many of its competitors.
Customers of Farmers Insurance pay an average of $181 per year for renters insurance. This price is slightly below the industry average of $188. A number of different factors can influence the cost of renters insurance, including:
- Coverage: The amount of coverage is perhaps the biggest determining factor when it comes to the cost of renters insurance. The more coverage you purchase, the more you’ll pay.
- Location: Location also plays a significant role in price. Some regions have higher average prices, partially as a result of extreme weather risk.
- Deductible: Your deductible is the amount you pay out of pocket before your insurance company will begin covering losses. The lower the deductible, the higher the cost of insurance.
- Credit score: As with many other products, the price of renters insurance is influenced by your credit score. Those with a higher credit score can expect to pay lower premiums.
Farmers offers renters insurance with the standard coverage you’ll find from most providers, including personal property, liability, medical payments, and loss-of-use. For even more protection, customers can choose to purchase additional coverage for electronics and identify theft restoration.
If you’re not sure of how much coverage you need, take an inventory of all your belongings — especially those of value such as furniture, jewelry, and electronics. Be sure to get enough coverage to replace your belongings in case of a fire or other catastrophe.
Farmers’ customer service leaves something to be desired. Their customer service interactions scored 839 out of 1,000 points in the J.D. Power 2020 Overall Customer Satisfaction Index for renters insurance, which is below the average of 842 for the segment. However, the company’s overall satisfaction score in the J.D. Power 2020 Property Claims Satisfaction Study was 893 out of 1,000, which is above the industry average of 881. Additionally, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) reports that Farmers has fewer than average complaints on their property insurance business.
Farmers makes it easy for customers to contact the company. First, it has a mobile app that makes it easier to manage your policy, pay your bill, request assistance, or file a claim. Customers can also file claims via text message, the company’s website, or by calling the Claim Contact Center. The company has customer service representatives available 24/7.
When it comes to discounts, Farmers offers the bare minimum compared to many of its competitors. Discounts are only available for customers who bundle their policies, have safety systems installed in their home, and those who live in a smoke-free home. In some states, professionals such as doctors, nurses, engineers, teachers, dentists, and firefighters may qualify for discounts.
For Farmers renters insurance review we evaluated the company based on its customer rating and experience, financial stability, and coverage. To compare renters insurance companies across the board, we calculated a Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Customer Ratings– Customer ratings are an indication of satisfaction with the process of filing a claim. We measured this using J.D. Power Homeowners Satisfaction ratings.
- Coverage– As there isn’t one company to fit everyone’s needs, we evaluated companies by the amount of coverage options available and add-ons available.
- Confidence– It is extremely important for insurance companies to fulfill customers’ claims. Companies with sound financial strength will not have issues paying out claims, regardless of the amount. However, companies with weak financial strength might not be able to pay out claims. We measured this using AM Best.
- Customer Experience– The amount of complaints a company receives is an indicator of the overall customer experience as it expresses dissatisfaction. We have based this measure on the NAIC National Complaint Index.
|Company||Reviews.com Score||AM Best Financial Strength Rating||J.D. Power Score*||NAIC Customer Complaints|
|Farmers||3.5||A||839||Fewer complaints than average|
|State Farm||3.75||A++||836||More complaints than average|
|Allstate||4||A+||844||Fewer complaints than average|
|USAA||4||A++||888||Fewer complaints than average|
|American Family||3.75||A++||840||Fewer complaints than average|
|Nationwide||3.75||A+||831||Fewer complaints than average|
All information accurate as of 09/25/2020
*2020 J.D. Power Home Study, based on a 1,000-point scale.
Farmers vs. State Farm
Farmers and State Farm are two of the largest insurance companies in the nation offering renters insurance in all 50 states. Both have been around for a similar amount of time — State Farm was founded in 1922, while Farmers dates back to 1928.
State Farm rates better than Farmers in most categories. While Farmers received an A financial strength rating from AM Best, State Farm received a rating of A++. Both companies scored below average in J.D. Power’s customer satisfaction survey for renters insurance, with Farmers only three points above State Farm. Finally, State Farm has a significantly lower average premium of $140 per year, compared to Farmers’ $181 per year. State Farm also made it to our national list of best renters insurance companies for its coverage options.
Farmers vs. Allstate
Allstate, another major renters insurance company, is quite comparable to Farmers. The two received similar scores across the board in financial strength, customer satisfaction and customer complaints. Allstate offers more comprehensive digital tools, including a user-friendly website and mobile app. The area where Farmers beats Allstate is average annual price — Allstate premiums are about the same as the national average, while Farmers is slightly more affordable.
The Bottom Line
Farmers renters insurance is about average compared to its competitors. You can expect roughly the same coverage you can get anywhere else, though nothing stands out about their coverage. The cost is attractive, coming in slightly below the industry average.
Farmers has made an effort to be accessible to their customers, offering many options for policyholders to file claims. The company also has customer service representatives available 24/7. Despite this effort, the company still scores poorly in some customer surveys, earning 839 points out of 1,000 in J.D Power customer satisfaction survey.
Farmers Renters Insurance FAQ
In addition to renters insurance, Farmers offers a variety of other property insurance policies including homeowners insurance, business property insurance, and commercial real estate insurance. Customers may receive a discount for bundling multiple policies.
Customers should consider purchasing enough coverage to replace all of their personal belongings in case of a fire or other catastrophe. Additional coverage can be purchased for special valuables like jewelry and electronics.
Farmers offers renters insurance in all 50 states.
Farmers renters insurance policies are underwritten by a number of different companies around the nation depending on location. Policies may be underwritten by Farmers Insurance Exchange, Fire Insurance Exchange, Truck Insurance Exchange, Mid-Century Insurance Company, Civic Property and Casualty Company, Exact Property and Casualty Company, Neighborhood Property and Casualty Company, and affiliates.
Farmers renters insurance policies include basic coverage for personal property, liability, medical payments, and loss-of-use coverage. Optional add-ons include replacement cost coverage, policies for electronics, and identify theft restoration.